Decluttering discussion thread: share your wins, ask for advice, inspire each other!

Sorted through my seasonal clothes and put some in “summer storage”, some in “refresh for the closet”, and some in “never going to wear again”. The last one was merged with the remnants from consignment so now that box is full enough to go out.

Sadly, that was the last major task and now I have to declutter my work to-do list. :confused:

5 Likes

Mismatched mitts are gone. Daycare jacket of rage is gone. Every time I step on a pencil crayon it goes. Bag of plastic bags is in the recycling

11 Likes

We own 18 shelves and 11 tables. Help me

4 Likes

Are they all being used? Are any your favourites or do some really irritate you or you dislike using them?

1 Like

Mostly it’s that

1. it’s so many
  2. there’s stuff on all of them
  3. most/vast majority of it is Mr Darling’s stuff
  4. we have a running joke that’s not really a joke that he wants to buy more shelves
  5. we have to move all the shelves and all the stuff on the shelves to a new house and I’d rather just get rid of everything
6 Likes

Omg you live in a curio cabinet :see_no_evil:

I’m so sorry. “Not my stuff” is the absolutely worst category.

4 Likes

Oooh ok so youre playing on hard mode. I’d still go through and try to order them from most like to least so that when you do clear enough to get rid of one, you aren’t also wondering which one to get rid of.

Does Mr Darling NEED to have everything on display all the time, or could he have X storage space and Y shelves for display?

Then i would non judgingly help him pack it away for your move and throw out rubbish together as you go, organise by category and hope like heck that he realises there’s some stuff he doesn’t want to keep as you go

2 Likes

You’re very nice.

I’ve been holding up every object and saying “can I get rid of this?”

So far it’s a few but not that many.

2 Likes

I was panicking. Most of the time it doesn’t feel that bad. Three of the shelves are for pantry stuff which is only 1/3 his crap. And two of the basement shelves are my crap. But 5 bookshelves full of books is too many. Except I don’t want to get rid of any of mine.

5 Likes

Also most of the random crap that I think is very close to garbage is in closed cupboards so I’m not even currently counting that :upside_down_face::scream::face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

Haha okay I was picturing my childhood best friends house. Every inch of that house was lined with book cases. (And the book piles extended beyond them, too). And weird strange objects interspersed. Legit curio cabinet house. It was a cool place but also immensely overwhelming.

3 Likes

I have some second-hand experience with, um, hoarders, and also know that throwing others stuff out is a fast way to have them declare everything important - but maybe Mr Darling is different! I really find it helpful when others help me with the physical labour of organising the stuff, maybe the books by author/ subject so I can see I dont need every gardening book, just the 2 sentimentals and the 2 actually useful ones, for instance. Item-by-item I find really exhausting and I don’t get a clear idea of how all my stuff fits together.

4 Likes

I see you’ve been to my Grandma’s, where the books are 2-3 books deep on the shelves and half a large bedroom is a pantry for a house of 2 people.

2 Likes

Bringing this out into the light might be a faster way to help cut down on overall volume than the books?

3 Likes

This is one area I really like konmari method. Put everything of one category, from all rooms, together. If you have four stashes of cook books? Put them all in one spot and THEN see what you need. Works shockingly well on some categories (holy fuck we have more pens than we can use in 6 lifetimes, ahem)

5 Likes

Has anyone ever found a good place to donate textbooks?

Also why does my husband who technically got an arts degree have a calc, finite math and discrete math textbooks?

(I’m keeping my stats textbook because that’s useful but I need you to know that I’m a smidge of a hypocrite)

3 Likes

There are specific textbook resellers that visit me semi-annually at work and attempt to buy random things off me (mostly only review copies since other stuff is too old in my field or I’m still using it). Arranging that outside of a college campus might be harder, but could be an option.

Oh, and Books for Africa, but that is location dependent.

4 Likes

Try eBay? Because of my husbands very weird job, he has sometimes needed specific editions of textbooks that are older. eBay is where he always turns to for those when they’re not available online from the publisher.

2 Likes

I’ve always gotten rid of my textbooks by taking them to work, and then when I leave the company ‘forgetting’ to take them home.
Not super helpful.

I’m also currently ripping pages out of one to use for collage.

Our half price books takes them, but does not pay for them, and recycles them.

3 Likes

Donate them to your local library? Maybe they can be used for a tutoring program or sold by Friends of the Library. Other than that I have no idea.

2 Likes