Decluttering discussion thread: share your wins, ask for advice, inspire each other!

Donated some unneeded kitchen items through my company’s local freecycle Slack channel! The recipients seemed very excited, which is always super satisfying haha

12 Likes

My ND neighbor’s kid helps out some people who’re having a tough time. He came to his kid home (next door) to chop up some wood for them, of trees he knew he’d cut down in 2020…

He’s a pro chef too btw. I mentioned going 2 hours away to get organic potatoes in wholesale amounts and said I’d give his friend some. He offered to buy some as he knew the price I was charging was wicked cheap (.08 over what I paid, I just rounded it up to the nearest quarter). So, I charged him for 1/2 of them, as my donation to his friends’ cause. Whether he keeps them, uses them at work or gives them to his friend I really don’t care.

ALL of the extras are gone now. :clap: No more big, used to hold 50# bags left in my pantry. None! And I have a pittance to put back into the kitty. I’m not trying to make $, just enough so that I don’t feel taken advantage of… I deliver… organic, fresh potatoes, at minimal cost.

7 Likes

We are putting SO much cardboard on the verge, plus: am old mini trampoline, yoga mat, plastic boxes, broken slow cooker, random electronics, a door… So nice to have them gone!

10 Likes

I went to a clothing+ swap and passed on some clothing, jewelry, and home stuff that was tied too closely to htxbf. I’m glad a lot of the stuff found good homes! Especially since I can’t get into my new buy nothing group for some reason.

10 Likes

Culled through the “too big” clothes in storage and pulled out a few that will be infeasible for Larva at the age she will be when she wears them and rearranged the remaining clothes into two smaller boxes for different sizes.

Then put the culled stuff in the tote to go to consignment and the tote in the car along with a large and no longer necessary baby item. The space that one item cleared up in the hallway is already making me happy.

6 Likes

I emptied a plastic box, a third were toys i put away and the rest is going in the bin.

5 Likes

I want to purge everything in my closet that doesn’t fit right now. But I’m also pregnant and know these body changes are temporary* and don’t want to get rid of stuff that might fit me again in a year.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about putting all things that don’t fit into 1-2 bins in the basement and then if they still don’t fit in a year get rid of them then?

I’ve always been very firmly “if it doesn’t fit or make me feel good BURN IT DOWN (okay donate or BN lol)” so this is a shift for me.

*I still have no idea what body changes will come post partum so I’m not going to plan for that stage until it’s here.

12 Likes

Bins and revisiting in 1-2 years was a plan that worked for me. Fwiw my body shape was still changing a bit 1.5 years postpartum even though I got a good deal of fitness back, so I ended up keeping the bins a little longer than a year.

6 Likes

Bins and revisit is what I did :slight_smile: although some is still in the bin- breastfeeding kept my body shaped differently and I did that for 2 years. (And then pregnancy and MC again) Same with my shoes lol. They can change still after weaning.

6 Likes

Called my husband from the car while listening to a decluttering podcast and told him to throw away my college gameday overalls. I will never get rid of them, which just means my kids will need to throw them away when I die, and why wait that long?

Hopefully he does it, because if he waits until i get home, those aren’t getting out of the closet.

11 Likes

Gave a new sleeve of plastic cups and some new large peat pots to my ND neighbor. She has 3 kids, 3 grandkids, and an extended family who use a summer place on a lake, a greenhouse, etc.

I bought the plastic glasses to start plants in, when it became obvious the peat pots werent working… and never used them. I have small pots I intend to use if I grow plants from seed again… so why keep the other bits?

One of the things we took to the dump yesterday that I forgot to list was the 3rd small styro cooler. When we used a CSA 25 weeks a year, we needed 3 at various times. This year we joined a CSA for one month, May, Two coolers were enough. I’d stashed this one atop something, so DH had to get it down before we could take it to the dump.

2 Likes

If this approach resonates with you, have you read the gentle art of Swedish death cleaning?

4 Likes

I haven’t read it, but I’ve heard of it. Next time I am at the library, I think I need to look it up.
I really enjoyed the Kon-mari method; thanking things for being good to you during that stage of your life; but then also not needing it anymore.

But the whole “someone will have to clean this up when I die” is something I think about a lot- I have so much stuff. And they aren’t going to care about it.

5 Likes

I gave the KonMari book away, I felt preached at and threw it across a room the first or second time I picked it up. I love the Swedish Death cleaning book tho!

4 Likes

I’m really torn on her stuff. On the one hand, I feel like I definitely took some ideas away, and I love her folding method. On the other hand, the way that she writes honestly reminds me of the way that Trump speaks. Where it’s like you can trust me on this because I am the best and I have always been the best and this is the best way to be the best. :joy:

8 Likes

Don’t hold on to projects for when the kids are grown or you are retired because your interests will be different by then. If you live on a fairly busy road just put the stuff outside with a free sign. If you don’t then post for free on Nextdoor and put outside. I have moved across the country numerous times so a expert at getting rid of stuff with minimal effort :joy:.

5 Likes

So it didn’t spark joy? Sounds like a perfect follow-through of her method! :joy:

8 Likes

I got the consignment stuff out of the car, and the stuff they didn’t take is now in the box to go to donation, so that will eventually go. Now I’m moving the eyesore of a taken-apart crib out of my hallway and putting it in the garage. I’d list it, but it’s on loan from a friend, and I haven’t had the car capacity to get it back to her five hours away. But at least now I won’t have to stare at it clogging up the walkway every day, and it’s more accessible whenever we are able to organize the handoff.

5 Likes

My old desk chair, a cute outdoor side table we don’t have a use for anymore and one of last year’s misses of a Christmas gift all made their way out of the house this weekend. Folks were all very happy to get them and I appreciate the extra space in my garage.

6 Likes

Dh took a load of cardboard to recycling this morning, and dropped off a box of clothes at Goodwill.

I cut up the stuff that was to ratty to donate and put those squares into the cleaning rag basket.

4 Likes