Decluttering discussion thread: share your wins, ask for advice, inspire each other!

A lady never tells. Jk, I’m not sure? I have like, normal chip bags to store but then also small candies. Maybe I need multiple bins for different types of snacks? Oh and I also buy some stuff in bulk so…there are those bags too.

Maybe I should pull everything out and look at it?

3 Likes

After tying to get us to eat snacks one variety at a time so there weren’t like 7 open bags of things. I gave up and got this for our snacks. Theoretically they stack too if that is appealing.

5 Likes

I like that!!!

1 Like

It’s nice and sturdy. I got some shorter and narrower ones from the same brand for the fridge and they’re great too.

1 Like

It looks like they stack too?! These are perfect. Thank you!

Yup they do. Truly the best organization tho bc I’ve bought in a long time

2 Likes

This look awesome. Thanks for asking the initial question @allhat because now I’m going to see about finding these locally, i reckon it might help our organisation issues @Rhubarbsoda !

1 Like

Do you have the medium or the large?

1 Like

If you can, do you mind posting a picture of it with food in it? The website has a picture of towels, which is all well and good, but I’m curious how the size relates to, for example, a half eaten family size bag of pretzels. Totally theoretically of course.

6 Likes

What about a pegboard-style thing on the inside of your pantry door, with 12 clips? Clip all those crinkly bags up and off the shelves.

6 Likes

This is BRILLIANT.

I’m gonna see if a version of this will fly with husband

3 Likes

We’ve got the large and it comfortably fits a pack of Oreos standing vertically, two partial big bags of kettle chips (which are smaller than like a bag of tortilla chips, a full unopened bag of tortilla chips takes up about half of the thing ) and a pile of granola bars. I can take a picture when I get home.

I have a small rectangular, rattan basket, which works for us. I find I use few if any mixes or prepackaged boxed stuff, more envelopes, and this works fine. If I have overflow and I do at the moment, I squeeze the boxes in willy-nilly and make a point of using the food up asap.

That’s an interesting idea! I had a pegboard in one apartment for my pans and stuff and it was cool. I feel like it would look super cluttered to me tho, like when I open the door. It would be perfect for people with kids though! Easy grab-and-go.

1 Like

We got some things at auction last week. One of the 3 things went immediately into the antique booth. Another is a hobby thing for DH and the 3rd was an “Indianapolis Sanitary Cutter,” which I couldn’t resist for the kitchen, as DH’s family is in Indiana. I may not keep it, but might pass it along to someone else in the family, but I was charmed. Nicely, someone had already put a piece of picture wire on it, so it’s ready for hanging.

A friend brought me a gift in a gift bag, a bar of soap as a thank you for picking up their mail while they were on vacation. I asked her if she wanted the bag back? (No.) Asked her if she’d be offended if I took it to the dump’s swap shop as I’m trying to eliminate 1/2 the items here? (No.) It’s in the bin to go to the swap shop tomorrow.

I had a reason to look at my shoe storage this morning. I have 1 falling apart pair of winter shoes and 1 new pair to replace them. One pair of summer weight shoes which I also use a slippers in the fall/winter. One pair of bicycle shoes. A pair of Doc Marten’s which were a gift and a pair of winter boots. The Doc Marten’s are probably going to go to the booth, as I rarely wear them!

I am catching the grocery tracking up. The carrot I’m using is that as I enter the info from the receipts, I get to recycle the receipts and that means there’s less stuff in the house. Instead of approaching it as a boring chore, I’m looking at it as easy cleaning… works for me!

2 Likes

My cats would LOVE this

I got rid of a portable dvd player that I broke about 14 years ago. It still worked, kind of, so I sometimes still used it, 14 years ago. We bought it 18 years ago.

Does anyone USE portable dvd players anymore? I actually just trashed it.

I also pulled out 20 or so empty boxes that I told my husband he needs to decide if we really need to store these, and if we do, can we store them flat? He has every box for every camera and lens he has ever purchased. But WHY?!

I feel bad because a lot of decluttering now is his stuff; but that’s because over the past 6 years I’ve gotten rid of TONS of my stuff. (Not craft stuff…that room is FULL.)

6 Likes

This weekend I cleared out old meds from the bathroom cabinets, scrubbed the medicine cabinet, and put all the little what-nots into clean storage jars. The bottom of the toothbrush holder was very :nauseated_face: .

7 Likes

Buy nothing’d a big mirror, puzzles, some framed art, and books. I have two bags of clothing that need a new home as well.

12 Likes

The boxes/packaging add value if selling used. We put the boxes of such items into the attic where it isn’t part of the “stuff flow” in the house, unless DH is planning to sell it right away.

He buys “lots” at auction and sells what he doesn’t need. Sometimes, it’s an upgrade, and we sell off the old piece with the packaging.

If you DH isn’t selling the stuff right away or otherwise, I’d probably only keep the packaging for the most expensive pieces, the cameras or lenses usually, and ditch all the packaging for cables, lens shades, connectors, filters, etc.

YMMV, but I married a guy who’d been a pro photographer and expected that to be his career, so I knew there would be film in the fridge and photo gear around. We donate stuff to a photo gallery that sells used gear and DH belongs to online forums where he sells thru the classifieds to other photo geeks. The collection here is slowly getting smaller and more specific to what he wants to keep long term. Also, as I get rid of more books, I think he feels more obligated to also pare down his stuff.

1 Like