Decluttering discussion thread: share your wins, ask for advice, inspire each other!

Our last move this was us :tired_face: 7 month old. Last minute moving help got shifted a week earlier than planned and husband was out of town. I couldn’t pack solo. It was a shit show. Very, very few things were cleaned.

6 Likes

I find this acceptable! I know for sure there were no children living in this place before my folks!

2 Likes

Got a mailer for the pantry clearing mail carrier pickup event. Used it as my yearly reminder to deep clean my pantry. Grabbed anything we still use but won’t get to before it expires (a couple jars of peanut butter), anything we have too much of relative to how often we use it now (sardines), or things we got but just haven’t used and I don’t want it to go to waste (cous cous, lasagna noodles). There was some stuff last it’s expiration that I threw out as well, although luckily not too much. One thing I do as a prepper slash charity thing is buy big bags of dried beans and donate them to the food bank each year before they expire lol. It’s a nice way to have some backup safety food while also giving useful/nutritious food to the food bank.

Weirdest discovery was the giant tub of animal crackers from my daughters first birthday that only got like 1/3 used and I totally forgot about :joy: emptied those and I’m keeping the tub to store toys in.

12 Likes

Dropped off three boxes of “stuff” at savers and posted some yarn and postpartum stuff on buy nothing. Next up is listing newborn clothes :sob:

2022 decluttered items

1. Book
  2. Sweater
  3. Sweater
  4. Yoga mat
  5. Make up bag
  6. Another make up bag
  7. Socks (brand new)
    8-33. Maternity clothes
  8. Yarn
    35-39. Postpartum stuff
    40-50 various items dropped off at savers (books, clothes, lamps)

I started following the secret slob on YouTube and I’m really enjoying her videos.

9 Likes

BEFORE

AFTER

25 Likes

You know what the people want!!!

5 Likes

Your “before” is my pantry goals. I can’t even with the after.

4 Likes

:star_struck: just beautiful, Allhat. Beautiful.

2 Likes

Yessss the labeled containers :heart_eyes:

I organized my pantry today as well! It is not nearly as photogenic so it will not be posted here haha

3 Likes

I wish you could all see my face. I am peak smug right now. Basically this:

91fd98b64517b4efa809e4318def2172-1019550768

19 Likes

Moving on from Allhat’s well deserved smugness, I have been collecting paper bags from grocery delivery. They are perfect for me to put a collection of items together to be put next to the door while waiting to go out on Buy Nothing. I posted 3 groups of fabric today! I have some space now in some drawers in our carport to put items that shouldn’t be getting bugs in them!

13 Likes

Nice clear out!!!

2 Likes

Used up scraps of cotton jersey to make clothing for the kids toys.

6 Likes

I’ve given away 7 puzzles and some random bits, and I have bags ready for a clothing swap and the thrift store. I’ve given myself permission to throw out any of the small stuff that the thrift store doesn’t take. If they don’t want it, and I literally can’t give it away, I’m done trying to find homes for them.

13 Likes

The thrift store stopped buying early yesterday, so I said fuck it and put everything out on the sidewalk. Didn’t bother posting to BN. Almost everything was taken!

If it doesn’t rain all weekend, I’ll try putting more stuff out on the curb.

14 Likes

I found a box with 8 more puzzles and have already gifted them. The sidewalk free pile is also doing its magic on some bulky bits.

12 Likes

Passed on a kid’s jacket through BNP, and a couple of free cosmetics samples I was sent with my sunscreen.

Next up is posting some clothing on BNP to check if anyone wants it before I pack it up for textile recycling.

2 Likes

I went into the basement to see if one of the two small crossbody purses I was thinking of had survived the rounds of cleanup over the past 5 years. If they did, they are doing so by being very difficult to find.

Also, there is a lot of paper down there, including some from elementary school, and old yearbooks. I am daunted already. ‘it’s just one box, why bother’

4 Likes

got through 2/3rds of the box. half of it is gone.

I kept a couple of essays the teachers said nice things about and one that has a hilarious in retrospect writeup about doing research online (I used Altavista because it was the most responsive and complained that the website I found was missing a back button so I had to extrapolate through the url to find the rest of it). I found a printout about residential schools from 1997. I kept most of the cards to be considered later. I kept my first pair of point shoes and discarded the rest.

Please note, the papers with 25 year old addresses and phone numbers were set aside for shredding.

8 Likes

I am not decluttering these at this time.

perhaps photos of things not being decluttered should be behind a cut for this thread

But why did my maternal grandmother apparently send me a slice of a photo of a couch?

My paternal grandmother sends stamps which makes more sense, but unfortunately it will take some effort to unstick a few from each other. I probably didn’t appreciate Grace Kelly at the time.

Appreciate iconic boxes

5 Likes