Decluttering discussion thread: share your wins, ask for advice, inspire each other!

Given your sabbatitirement and increasingly casual workplaces, the expected value of needing blazers is lower. Keep the first 3, goodbye to the one that doesn’t fit as well and the two struggles.

7 Likes

Loving this term

6 Likes

Latte is finally getting to an age where if I briefly leave a room, she doesn’t IMMEDIATELY do something to seriously endanger life and limb (not a joke, she has 2 ER trips already in her life- not that I was out of the room, but she has a talent for chaos). Anyway, it occurred to me if she wants something new out, I can sometimes immediately put something else away! Today she wanted her duplo, so I went and put away her magnetiles! As opposed to trying to remember and muster energy once she’s asleep.

A very nice change for keeping stuff under control, lol.

14 Likes

Let’s say you haven’t decluttered your living quarters in a while. Let’s say you were working full time and going to grad school during a pandemic, so it was survival mode time. Then you did a wedding. Now you have a few months before a baby comes. What’s first?

11 Likes

Which physical area of your home either bums you out the most or causes the most logistical problems (in terms of finding stuff, for example)? That’s where I’d start!

4 Likes

I would do kitchen-bathroom-couch/TV area.
Do you want to feel dragged down every time you brush your teeth, make coffee or dinner, and sit down to watch TV and relax?

I literally never clean anything except these areas in my apartment lol

4 Likes

My patron saint of decluttering Dana White says, visible areas first. The idea is that way you’ll feel better if/when other people are in the space, and the momentum will inspire you to keep going.

8 Likes

I always do my bedroom first because it means I’m relaxed when I go to bed.

3 Likes

I’d say one of the following:

Whatever area makes you the most miserable
Your clothes (often easiest)
Your kitchen (hard, but immensely functional and great practice for other areas)

5 Likes

What I love about all of these answers is the focus on how the space will make me feel when the work is done. Something I wasn’t even factoring in! Now I’m more excited to do the work.

12 Likes

Oh yeah thinking about how I will feel after is my favourite part of decluttering!

3 Likes

Work held a clothing swap today, so I cleaned out a bunch of stuff from my closet! Stopped by half an hour ago and some things have already been picked up :muscle:

Also, when I visited family this past week, I helped my dad organize and declutter his fountain pen collection. He had some that were nice but that he (and I) didn’t want, so he sent them with me to redistribute. Today I gave them to the receptionist/office coordinator at work, who also happens to be a pen enthusiast lol. She was SO excited she gave me a hug and looked like she was about to cry happy tears. When I left to go to a meeting, she was just opening the boxes over and over and saying “it’s like Christmas!!” :heart:

17 Likes

This is adorable

1 Like

I haven’t gotten rid of things yet, that’s phase 2-5, but at least I don’t want to run and hide my head in a cat tunnel.

15 Likes

That’s such a light and pretty room!

4 Likes

Thank you! I definitely jacked up the exposure, it’s not this bright in real life.

Went through my clothes and rearranged the boxes today so fingers crossed the room won’t get quite so chaotic again and I will know where my stuff is.

3 Likes

Yesterday we had to unpack from vacation. But, beach = sand. And fire pit transport mishap = ash all over. So we went ahead and just pulled EVERYTHING out of the car and did a little deep cleaning, and we’re sorting through things as we put stuff back in. Ex, my 2.5 year old probably doesn’t need her infant pacifier or clutching beads in the car :joy: went ahead and did some work on husbands work car while we were at it. Went ahead and just removed the car seat from his car entirely, we haven’t used it in over a year and he could use the space!

12 Likes

I don’t have a Before, but this was baaaad. It’s much better now.

The rest of the room… is worse.

The many bags and piles of stuff I now need to get rid of.

I found so many online orders that I never returned. OOPS.

12 Likes

My folks are moving! I am helping them by cleaning the fridge and the disgusting kitchen cabinets so they can store things in clean places. People who move out without at least wiping up crumbs from surfaces…who are you?! Found a very crusty packet of mustard in the way back lol

8 Likes

Decided at last minute to have a birthday party for my son in our garage.
So today we spent the day sweeping. And I finally got rid of a pack and play, high chair, and a commercial magazine rack that have been sitting in there for ages.

I also need to list 4 babygates for sale. I think I can get an OK amount for them, as they are the pass through kind, so going to try selling first. Will do that tonight.

8 Likes