December Challenge: Get it done GYSTember

Adding a new “get my shit together” goal: Fix fence w/ neighbor.

1 Like

Finally joining in! Nothing too major, but a couple of things I have definitely been procrastinating on, whoops.
Shit to get done:

• Finish all things required for PhD degree (probably ongoing stuff until Dec. 19)
  • Keep job searching. After Dec. 19, do at least 1 job app a day.
  • Schedule car oil change
  • Finish knitting scarf
  • Start baby blanket for friend; get at least 1/4 way through
  • Cancel WSJ subscription- was a family gift, but not doing gifts this year
  • Drop off donation bag

ummmm there was probably something else but I can’t remember now lol
ETA remembered the things woooo

5 Likes

Long-term projects:

• Fully set up go-bags
  • Find final homes for things in living room
  • Investigate what I need to do to get a will set up
  • Investigate new HSA homes
  • Find final home for things in hallway
  • Max out Roth IRA

December-specific:

• Finish sweater for Mom
  • Finish socks/slippers for Dad
  • Make candies for everyone else for holidays
  • Get started on candidate year
  • Send holiday cards

Well, did the one that takes like five minutes of my time. Now I just have to, you know, do the things that take a lot of time.

I forgot to add “send holiday cards” earlier. OOPS. More tasks!

3 Likes

done!

5 Likes

I have a lot to get together, but I’m just focusing on 2 things:

1. Get renter’s insurance.
  2. Track holiday gift spending (including price, vendor, date purchased, and recipient).
1 Like

Right, five days in and I’ve started on #2 and completed #3 to my satisfaction. You’ll notice that the two annoying external things, #1 and #4, have not been started as I have to phone people. I’m going to put those off until next week…

5 Likes

I really like to get all my stuff done in December to start the new year off fresh and without a to-do list. Much better than spring cleaning I think.

My list:

• move IRAs to vanguard from a high fee account. It’s been difficult getting this to happen for many reasons.
  • sell some stuff (post at least 5 items) ongoing mission to declutter some stuff than always gets pushed by the wayside.
  • make paper copy of my cookbook. The digital version was easy to send to people, but hard to edit and I always am changing up the measurements.
  • sew myself a pair of pants
  • sew at least one set of baby thermals. We are taking trip to the north and winter clothes are so expensive so will try to sew some things in time.
3 Likes
  1. Purchase car
  2. Set budget sinking fund goal and list for maintenance for said car
  3. Establish tangible and productive goals in therapy sessions in case I can’t continue in January
  4. Attend sterilization consultation appointment and obtain referral for procedure
  5. Negotiate lower vehicle insurance rate
4 Likes

I wrote a list of what we should include in the Go bag. Then we promptly had a minor “go” situation where we had to take the wee one to hospital (he’s fine). So now I’m adding a “small bag for quick exits” as well, where it’s a much smaller/ different kind of emergency.

5 Likes

You should all check in with your first week’s progress report. It will make me so happy.

Week 1 report

Paperwork is done and printed but I need to mail it in. I’ve decided that it’s best to certify reduced income without the IRA contribution reduction. It’s not right but will be better than what we have now, and it’s very unlikely they’d ever get it right given this is student loan “customer service.” I’m not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good here.

Barely started but have scheduled time to meet with my co-pi on campus next week to work on it.

Not started yet. We planned to work on it on a drive to my parents’ place but listened to the impeachment trial on the radio instead.

Not started

Card arrived and activated yesterday. Will be done as soon as I pay taxes online. (later today, don’t feel like getting out of recliner now, plus I only use one actual computer for online finances and right now there’s way too much sun through the window that computer faces. Will be fin in another hour,)

Not started; haven’t even mentioned it to him yet.

1 Like

1a-c: This has gone well, if time-consuming. I identified my first problem/pattern: goodbye cow’s milk cheese and whey protein. You were quick and easy to consume, but cause major inflammation. Ugh. Am feeling better though. Have successfully managed three meals/day (lots of cooking), and my snacking has pretty much disappeared. Also have walked >1 mile everyday. It’s really not much compared to what I used to do, but recovery will take time and I just need to focus on getting the habit set again.

1. Have started to delete work files I no longer need and to give away books.

3-4. No real progress yet.

1. It comes and goes.
1 Like

1.) Done. Going in on Tuesday.
2.) Done. So far the fireplace is working again correctly. That’s good, cause I’m still resisting turning on my heat.
3.) UGH
4.) Maybe next weekend?
5.) GONNA FINISH THIS UP LATER TODAY. :boom:

Bonus: I also made myself an appointment to get my hair cut.

3 Likes

Shocking, but progress is being made.

4 Likes

Working on this and making some progress.

Already submitted three applications this week, including one that would be perfect crosses fingers and hopes for the stars. A recruiter contacted me about a job that I interviewed for in September and didn’t get, but the same job is being posted again. He might even be able to get me feedback on what to improve, which would be awesome.

Making progress, but I’m traveling this upcoming week, so need to work on it some more before I leave.

Ummm really need to do this today ha

Not started yet.
Overall some progress- could be better, could be worse haha

2 Likes
  1. Did a meal plan for the week. Followed it 90% and didn’t have to do any extra shopping trips during the week to make what was planned. That’s a step in the right direction, and we’ll probably be doing nearly the same meal plan this coming week.
  2. No progress on dirt pile. Pending whether dirt is frozen, that could get done this weekend. Anvil stand is getting close. Most of the remaining work is Greyman’s but I may be able to cut some stabilizing blocks to help.
  3. DONE.
  4. Texted neighbor, agreed to split cost. Now in the cost assessment phase. Might do my own research but neighbor says he’ll go to home Depot and price it out soon.
4 Likes

I’m playing whack-a-mole. I’m getting through a lot, but new things keep popping up! I have put off a lot of adult responsibilities…

Open

1. Uhhh finish 2018 state taxes
  2. OH SHIT contribute to an IRA!!! I forgot I haven’t done that yet. (Yes, I know I have until tax day.)
  3. Figure out the best way to liquidate $6,000 for a Roth contribution…
  4. Call BoA to confirm sign up bonus for Amtrak card
  5. Buy return ticket from Seattle (bonus points won’t hit in time)
  6. Claim lost money (update: 1 claim approved, called @ second, need to mail claim docs)
  7. Pass on clothes through BN/swap
  8. Make cheat sheet for Beyond Beautiful
  9. Change Sprint autopay to REI card ?? need to research phone protection plans
  10. Email contact from old job
  11. Update address w/ Amex - first find blue cash card?
  12. send in rebate for waterpik

On Hold

1. Apply to Blues volunteer position (saw guy in person)
  2. Figure out NYE in Seattle plans - events not listed yet
  3. Make decision on old pension (need to understand tax/MCD elig hit)
  4. Sign up for TD card bonus - website doesn’t work
  5. set up autopay on REI on next manual payment - need to wait until Jan
  6. Planet Granite: Free week trial - not a priority, may not have time in Dec
  7. 24 Hr Fitness: Free 3 day trial - not a priority, may not have time in Dec
  8. Pay rent with Plastiq for Amtrak bonus (donations handled it)

Completed

1. Call Kaiser about blood test follow up, schedule appointments :white_check_mark:
  2. Find out about family medical history, p1 :white_check_mark:
  3. Change to $2/mo Hulu plan/pause existing :white_check_mark:
  4. Make texts make noises :white_check_mark:
  5. Call HSA provider about login :white_check_mark: AHHH I’ve been getting monthly fees since leaving my old job! I need to roll this over to an individual HSA provider that doesn’t charge fees… Does that exist? (Update: opened new account AND submitted transfer request paperwork) :white_check_mark:
  6. Submit Equifax claim :white_check_mark:
  7. Set up autopay for Amtrak cc :white_check_mark:
  8. Pay 1st Amtrak bill manually :white_check_mark:
  9. Make g voice emails auto archive again - filter stopped working (update: turned off “override filter” setting) :white_check_mark:
  10. Check REI autopay (checked, called, got fee waived) :white_check_mark:
  11. Figure out old pension details (will be getting benefits package in the mail) :white_check_mark:
  12. Sign up for 2020 health plan - after 2 hours on the phone, finally confirmed I don’t need to do anything… :white_check_mark:
  13. Order stuff . Waterpik, phone case, reusable pads :white_check_mark:
  14. Update Google search settings
4 Likes

You can contribute to the current year IRA up until tax day of the following year. So you can contribute to 2019 IRA until April 15 2020 (although preferably before you file, otherwise you have to file a amended return).

I know, but I still want to do it in December. I don’t need more excuses to procrastinate.

1 Like

Just wanted to let you know in case you thought it had to be done within the next 3 weeks! A little breathing room. :slight_smile:

1 Like