December Challenge: Get it done GYSTember

This is one of the WORST but when you do it, make sure to store the list somewhere as you need it for visa applications for many (mostly former soviet or otherwise closed border) countries, with ideally dates of entry/exit. I just have a little text file I use and add to, since I tend to apply for 2-6 visas a year. I used passport stamps and train/plane ticket email confirmations to hunt it down.

3 Likes

@anomalily told me it is probably starting Dec 4!

2 Likes
  1. Change out seals to fix the leak in a hydraulic ram on the tractor.
  2. Fire up my new battery powered Dewalt grease gun…:slightly_smiling_face:
  3. Grease the hundreds of grease nipples on tractor.
  4. Rollover 2 small (<$15k) 401k/403b accounts into Vanguard IRA’s to streamline fees.
3 Likes
  1. Log/File one year’s worth of financial papers (I usually do this in January, but it seemed appropriate for this month’s challenge)
  2. Get that $*&% IRA rollover done!
  3. Minimum spend ($2000) on new CC, to include 2019 charitable giving
  4. Spend on cc with an extra bonus this month ($1200).
  5. Figure out how much capital gains harvesting I can do this year and actually do it.

Edit: 6. Cancel cable, which was a condition of me signing up for Hulu during the Black Friday/ Cyber Monday special.

I have many more shits I’d like to get together this month, but these are the financial ones.

2 Likes

I found out where the drivers licence centres are and when they’re open. Heading in next week.

I am making a list tomorrow of what needs to be in the go bag.

Ok I want in on this too! As I will be away for 8 days there may be a time crunch - I will add more to this list shortly but these are actually all big jobs and tie in with decluttering, etc.

1. Deep cleaning in the computer room and guest room
  2. Office space - while already tidy, could be recompressed again
  3. Gift cards - use them - I have several different ones for things with minimal amounts that just need to be used up
2 Likes

Okay, okay, I finally realized that I actually DO have some things I should get done this month.

1.) Call the dentist to set up an appointment to get my permanent filling in.
2.) Contact landlord about my fireplace only working about 50% of the time.
3.) Contact Spectrum AGAIN about my internet constantly going out (UGHHHHHHHHH.)
4.) Make roll out cookies and frost them and not totally rush through them. Purchase fun sprinkles for this?
5.) Hit my bike mileage goal for the year for the first time ever! :biking_woman: :tada:

4 Likes

I have some items on the list!

–Call Spectrum, get rid of that mysterious 20 charge that appeared on my bill
–Try and sort out jewelry/apt insurance!
–Make more food for work (need to batch bake muffins, carry on with batch cooks like last night’s chili)
–Bake holiday cookies
–Talk to future husband about joint finances?
–Actually decide on wedding rehearsal dinner and brunch options

6 Likes

Done: looked up paying property taxes in Colorado Springs and found that I don’t need to have them redirected, I just need to know when they are due (Feb/June for split payment, April for single payment) and go onto their website to pay them. So I’ve put it on my spreadsheet for monthly bills for next year and I’ve got reminders on my phone to pay them.

2 Likes

WHY IS 0.65% INTEREST CONSIDERED “HIGH GROWTH SAVINGS” AT ALL THE CREDIT UNIONS.

6 Likes

Done! Let’s not talk about how much yarn I have. I think using up some of my stash will need to be on my 2020 Bingo.

8 Likes

I have to finish my six grad school applications. That’s me gmst.

6 Likes

The Cleaning of the Fridge has begun. Perhaps unsurprisingly this overlaps with ‘I have how much stock to reduce to something reasonable for storage?’ and ‘Oh…I was supposed to get those dried and stored last week, wasn’t I?’

2 Likes

Annnd my gym membership is cancelled, the day they stopped being a 24 hour gym. They are dealing with a lot of cancellations right now methinks.

8 Likes

I should’ve put dealing with router from Spectrum in my list to begin with, but I didn’t. However grad school city router sent back and receipt duly collected.

3 Likes

And submitting the dental claims is done. Which means I am all caught up on my insurance claims, and I will need to do out of pocket for the (boo!) filling they say I need to fix a filling that wasn’t done properly by the prior dentist. This is what I get for going with the HSA coverage rather than their crappy partial dental coverage.

I tried to buy new running shoes on Monday and felt so out of sync with the world. That one is going to be harder than I thought.

2 Likes

Did some significant revising on my writing sample and filled out as much of the rest of the application form for one of the schools as I can at the moment (need to upload personal statement, resume, and sample). Going to bed early, will wake up early and finish my writing sample so that I can get it uploaded and done.

2 Likes

Small steps: I’ve made a list of the items we need to take our lunches to work/ school every day.

This afternoon I’m finding/ putting together lists of stuff for the Go Bag and the Tax Returns.

1 Like

@plainjane and @bucketsofrain Matching campaign for new patrons starts TODAY! (will be officially announced later today). That means if you join for $2/month, it will be be $4 a month through March! We could potentially TRIPLE the Purrsonal Finance Society Coffers :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Got this shit allllllll together today. Well technically I won’t get the documents for 4-6 weeks, but that’s someone else’s job, not mine.

WOOO!

6 Likes