December Challenge: Get it done GYSTember

1a) Have been tracking everyday (21/21), so yay!
1b) Struggled a bit on this last week (it was finals week!). Am at 12/21 days. Obviously need to keep at this.
1c) Doing okay, snow storm and not feeling well made me miss some days. 16/21

1. Only need to transfer the files to the new laptop and I’ll be done with this one.
  2. Haven’t done this, but I have been stretching after walking in the space as it is.
  3. Waiting to hear about health insurance, but all other adjustments made.
  4. Feeling good about decision to leave work and focus on health. Wish I knew more about health insurance outcome, but should find something out Monday.
3 Likes

Week 3:

1 Like

UPDATE - Roth conversion done. Still need to test a local consignment shop.

1 Like

Update: long term planning done, and we can so very afford to fund two IRAs!

3 Likes

Week 3 Update:

1. I still haven’t signed up for renter’s insurance. I keep putting this off because I don’t want to do the research and am afraid even if I do, I’ll choose the wrong one, but surely anything is better than none.
  2. Holiday gift tracking is up to date. More than half has been local/small businesses, and I have 1-2 more purchases, which will also be from small, local shops.
1 Like

No updates. Although I’ve used a few more frozen meats and canned goods, so that’s fewer things to inventory. Anticipating a little more bandwidth to address this at the end of this week, after Christmas but before I go back to work.

1 Like

No updates for me. Visited parents and didn’t snap at anyone the whole time. That’s enoy getting my shit together for me.

5 Likes

I still haven’t figured out how much my dad’s friend owes us for internet hosting and domain things. Maybe something for boxing day? Also, I put up our tree, which means more things will need to be moved if I decide to deal with the bubble wrap painting.

I have accomplished a few things that weren’t in my list, like the sending out a signed copy of a document a full day early, making 12 cups of curried cashews for family gifts, and giving out a small gift to the dozen folks on my team.

But I also discovered yesterday that one of my things from November hadn’t been done properly after all, and I need to figure out why my RRSP matching isn’t working. Which is annoying because this past pay was the first one I was eligible for matching, and it was also my bonus payout. So that is my focus on Monday/Tuesday.

2 Likes

So close, although I’ll be heading out heading out shortly so the last of these will have to be done remotely or wait until I return. Either of which should be doable (and the car insurance absolutely has to be paid), but we’ll see.

• Two house projects from journal. Technically this ended up being two new house projects, but I’m calling that a win since at least the list didn’t get any longer
  • Review all monthly subscriptions
  • Call about car insurance (and pay car insurance)
  • Look and see if there are any CCs worth picking up early next year

Chugging along, am sending husband to look into the health insurance tomorrow since he is already on holidays and I have to work the next two days. More stuff is leaving the house though, on track for 30 things, I think! I plan on getting everything tidied up between Christmas and New years and booking skin check plus bonus dentist appt for early Jan.

1 Like

3.) Fucking fuck fuck my internet still isn’t working correctly, even after futzing with the router like Spectrum/Google told me to do. I need to somehow get a hold of Netgear, who apparently doesn’t have online customer support, aside from a community forum? What the fucking century is this? I submitted a “Contact Netgear Support” thing, but the character limit to describe my problem was 150 characters. THIS IS NOT FUCKING TWITTER, WTF. Then they finally gave me a phone number, but I have to call in the next 24 hours or they close my case. Also, they only offer free support for 90 days after purchase, so I lied on the date I bought the router. I am unhappy with Netgear right now.

4.) Cookie dough is made and in my fridge. Going to finish these over the next two days.

4 Likes

Week 3 check in!

• 2.5 hours of yoga practice at home spread throughout the week
    Only 25 minutes of yoga at home
    But 45 minute class at a studio today
    was supposed to attend a free class at the library, but that was cancelled. hopefully i catch another one soon.
  • all christmas present chores completed
    Presents for 2 sisters and for friend procured – will still have to be wrapped
    Made a cake to bring into the office

follow-up from week 2:

• have been in contact with the landlord about breaking the lease, I may be able to just pay them $500 and have them keep my deposit, supposedly he’s coming by my old place in person to inspect it this week

• very loosely started some goals planning, but need to tighten this soon, hopefully before 1/1/2020

Miscellaneous:

• got a second Thred Up bag, it is packed, just needs to be picked up

• my desk is more functional now

Other successes this week:

• covered a restaurant shift this weekend

• set up a 529 account online

• went to a farmer’s market

• 10 bike trips this week (I’d guess around 52 miles — I’m really trucking out there I’m proud of myself for doing something that makes me happy, makes me feel fit, and aligns with my values for climate, safety, and transportation.

• a few chores (wipe coffee table, sweep kitchen floor, laundry, sheets, cleaned out garbage can, took out trash, wiped bathroom sink)

• lunch for tomorrow is prepped, and I have plenty of leftovers for the rest of the week

• called loan servicer for 2 months of forbearance so I can afford to pay to break my lease

• have actually been remembering to wear my anti-grinding guard to sleep

Pending:
sweep and mop my bedroom’s wood floors (has NOT been dealt with since I moved in 22 days ago and the bottoms of my feet are black :nauseated_face:)
pack for christmas
re-enroll in benefits after HR/payroll servicing change
think about automated payroll deductions into savings accounts (not set up — to have an emergency cushion)
can I set up a $5 per pay period contribution to my currently unused 401k? (I literally can’t afford anything else right now — and there’s a match so it’s especially tragic)
look into forbearance for Other loan servicer
look into opening a bank account with a large opening bonus
get holiday themed thank you cards for all the people in my office who got me gifts
buy printer ink so my printer works

2 Likes

No interesting updates on my four main to-dos. A little bit of follow-up work, nothing substantial. Talked in therapy about it. Does that count? :slight_smile:

I’ve done well clearing out some medium sized clutter at home, and I’m working through my maybe working? small appliance list. That’s all good.

Still not sure what I want to do for 2020 bingo. Getting a few ideas.

I’ve faltered a little - not a lot -on the streaming/tv/watching pledge. It’s been a good experiment that is mostly successful in making me more intentional about what I watch.

2 Likes

Yeah, uh, I got zero things done last week, so still in a holding pattern. Removing some stuff from the list that 100% won’t get done and I don’t need hanging over my head.

3 Likes

I have not yet finished getting my shit together. The only thing left to do is reviewing our bank account balances and allocating money to emergency fund/various sinking funds. I think we can do that before December is over. I’ve had a cold all weekend and it’s taken all of my energy to host/go to various events with friends and family. I’m hoping to be over the cold by tomorrow and try to get back on track.

• Clean off desk at home so it only has things that are supposed to be on it (e.g. laptop, keyboards; not jumbled receipts or paper waiting to be recycled) - in progress
  • Put children’s books we own, that are not board books, on shelves in the wiggler’s room
  • Ship back earbuds that stopped working - in progress - just have to take the package back to the post office and do the actual shipping
  • Inventory and store baby bottles
  • Sort, inventory, and attempt to sell maternity/nursing clothes (they’re not sold yet, but the attempt has begun and that was this month’s goal)
  • Fix login to T Rowe Price
1 Like
  • PhD stuff- DONE, yo
  • Job applications- haven’t done one a day, but I’ve got 6 lined up to do and that’ll catch me up
  • Oil change- done (both scheduling and actual service)
  • Knitting scarf- almost done! Hoping to finish today or tomorrow
  • Baby blanket- haven’t started
  • Cancel WSJ subscription- probably won’t do this until after Christmas, so as to not be a grinch haha
3 Likes

Ok, it seems it may take up to 30 days for changes to take, so maybe it was too close to cutoff.

I have increased my contribution because the MER is so low, and hopefully I will see something happen in 2 weeks.

In the meantime, moving my bonus over in several chunks because it is bigger than the interac max daily amount.

Week 3 Update

I didn’t get much done in week 3, but I did submit my first big donation of securities.

I also made some progress on taxes but put taxes and IRA contributions on hold. I confirmed I won’t get a penalty for late filing, and December is too busy to take time off for this.

I tried twice to deposit a check but either my phone is fucking up or the check format is weird, because it’s not working. I called the bank today and resubmitted, I think there’s a better chance of it going through now.

Week 3 update: Nope. Didn’t do those things. I’m pretty sure I lost my new credit card a week ago, by leaving it in the machine at a grocery store that is too far away to go back to. I need to call for a replacement, but I haven’t done that yet.

I’ve spent on holiday stuff this week, but haven’t noted how much. I do have the receipts, so I can go back and update this later.

I did do all of these things, though.

2 Likes