Dairy-free cheese suggestions?

I removed dairy from my diet (specifically cow’s milk cheese and whey protein) and my joints feel better. So, now I’m trying to find a good non-cow’s-milk cheese to try. Specifically, I’d like something to put on pizza and to add to egg breakfasts. Needs to be gluten free as I have celiac, and preferably no corn, peanut, or rice. Not that I mean to be picky or anything…

Suggestions for cheese substitutes? I have Aldi and Kroger as my primary grocery stores. Hy-Vee is also an option (I just don’t normally go there as it’s a bit out of the way).

1 Like

I love Daiya for pizza, eggs, and various melty cheese needs. It tastes like unhealthy, gooey, grilled cheesy type cheese, and I think it’s great for pizza, etc.

For more…elevated flavor, haha, I recently discovered Violife “just like feta” cheese, and it is AMAZING especially on salad…to me it tastes like goat chèvre or something, it’s very creamy… I’ve also tried the Miyokos cheese wheels in various flavors, and they are ok with crackers, etc.

I’ve been dairy free my whole life, and we are so lucky to have the options we have now…I grew up eating early versions of soy cheeze, etc and things have gotten SO much better!

Also, if you need ice cream suggestions (who doesn’t?!) I love Luna and Larry’s coconut bliss.

1 Like

Thanks, @mountainmustache29, that is super helpful. I’ll take this list with me when I go shopping this weekend. Some gooey, grilled, cheesy type cheese is just the ticket. :slight_smile:

Daiya!!!

Don’t bother with any other brand for shredded cheeses.

1 Like

Thanks for the second vote. I’ll look for that brand then.

Daiya for those needs definitely.
I think it’s follow your heart and someone else with identical packaging that do a smoked Gouda good enough to snack on.

Homemade tofu cream cheese (recipe should want tofu and cashews) scratches a lot of itches and you can tweak to find your favourite.

How it all vegan is an amazing book for diy swaps for dairy with the cream cheese and lots of dressings and things like that, usually with all whole foods.

2 Likes

Following in case some of these products become available for us in Aus later.

1 Like

Earth Island. Earth Island has the same Gouda. And also shreds I haven’t tasted and is at Walmart. All my suggestions are in Canada.

@LadyDuck you could maybe find the book I’m suggesting on eBay? Or tell me a thing you want a recipe for and I will send it? It has no cultured nut cheese fanciness but dies have sour cream and stuff

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll look for that cookbook once I have left work and have more spoons. I’ll look for the smoked Gouda as that sounds yummy.

1 Like

I’m gonna be the weird one out: I don’t like Daiya. It doesn’t melt that well and it makes my stomach hurt.

I do like Chao cheese for melting.

I am also a huuuge fan of cashew cheese.

At some point I will get my friend’s vegan queso recipe. His nachos are some of the best I’ve ever had, and they’re 100% vegan.

ETA: I have no idea if Chao is gluten free, I haven’t checked, so definitely look at the ingredients list.

3 Likes

Where do you find Chao cheese? I have Kroger, Hy-Vee, Aldi, or Wal-mart and I went to three stores today before finding the Daiya to try. But I’d be interested in giving the Chao a try too.

2 Likes

I doubt most Kroger/Walmart/Aldi type places would have it (don’t know why Hy-Vee is). I get mine at little health food stores/local grocery chains that are natural/organic/health foods focused; you may also be able to find it at Whole Foods.

2 Likes

My chao has Walmart. No. The reverse. I think I liked it too but so expensive.

3 Likes

Since you’re open to non-cow dairy, have you tried buffalo mozzarella? It will probably be a bit pricey and only at speciality shops, but it would be perfect for pizza – that’s what they traditionally use in Naples. For eggs, I’d try an aged sheep or goat milk cheese. What about a nice Manchego? I think you can get that at Trader Joe’s, so maybe Aldi has it too.

2 Likes

Thanks for these suggestions. I’m intrigued by the idea of non-cow dairy, but I have no idea what cheese is made from what. I need to do some research in the new year.

2 Likes

Oooh sheep milk cheese

2 Likes

I recently bought some sheep milk Feta from Trader Joes to try out. It is SO good. But for me causes the same reactions (breathing problems) as cow dairy. So sad. They have a ton of sheep and goat milk options there, though.

2 Likes

I agree re Chao. It comes in slices and is great on sandwiches/grilled cheeses. In Atlanta, it’s at Whole Foods and Publix, if that is of use to anyone. Also, I hope that vegan queso recipe comes through sooner rather than later wipes drool

Anti-rec for Trader Joe’s vegan cheeses. They are unforgivable and may turn you off of the entire concept. Avoid at all (even extremely reasonable) costs.

Kite Hill (WF, specialty stores) makes killer nut-based cream cheeses and ricotta. $10 a tub but if you’re feeling like a splurge you won’t be disappointed.

1 Like

And for the Aussies.

This just popped up today.

2 Likes

I have tried the Daiya cheese and it is suitably gooey on my hash and eggs. Breakfast is happy again. Thanks to those who recommended it. I’ll work on some of the other options once I’m done with work.

5 Likes