Create-Your-Own Adventure November Challenge: Stickers Deadline!

I mean, I’m currently wearing shorts, but I’ll need the pants for weather in the 20s this weekend :rofl:. The classic “if you don’t like the weather, just wait a few days” haha

2 Likes

I WENT FOR A WALK OUTSIDE. I am still an anxious ball of nerves, but currently surviving.

4 Likes

… Huh. I honestly never thought about it this way.
I wonder if this holds up in the cases of “this came out terrible and I hate it, but it is very healthy and also I spent money on these ingredients”?
Funny how it’s never the cake or something gooey and cheesy that turns out FAIL.

3 Likes

I’ve been drinking a lot of herbal tea in the evenings.

It’s helped that this week I had a lot of evening work and wouldn’t be drinking anyway (aside from election night). Next week I do not have that schedule and will be more likely to be tempted.

3 Likes
food philosophy

Imo, yes. I don’t think it’s worth choking down food that you hate. Eating up food that you made that’s meh/less exciting than other foods/doesn’t really hit the spot? That’s different – I eat up my mediocre meals because not every meal has to be a hedonistic experience, and imo that would be food waste. The food is edible and it’s fine, just not exciting, you eat it. But if you hate it and want to just chuck it away, then chuck it away. Food that you hate that much isn’t worth putting in your body.

As always, giant exception made for cases of food insecurity/needing to meet caloric requirements when there are no other options. If you do have other options, though, then eat the options that you don’t hate.

6 Likes

Okay, did not take Election Stress into account this first week. Made a lot of progress getting set up at my new job! I’ve got an official email and everything. Now I’ve got benefits and a safety video to finish up.

Cleaning… needs work. Very little progress on that front, I’m barely keeping up with maintenance. Job stuff comes first, but this weekend I plan on loading up some podcasts/music and going to town.

I have a google doc where I’m collecting various notes for my new budget and I’m slooooowly adjusting YNAB to fit it. It’ll be a weird pay month anyway, but good to start now.

5 Likes

today I went outside to look at the newly painted porch stairs, and that will count. I do not need to reach the ground for this month’s challenge.

6 Likes
food philosophy

That makes sense. For me it’s totally a first-world problem because I want to be a Person Who Has a CSA. And this seemed like the year to do it since in the spring, when CSAs were taking signups, because at that time there were supply chain issues and it was impossible to get delivery via, well, anywhere and I signed up for Imperfect Foods only to be told there’d be a 1-month delay until my first order.

But I end up with things I simply do not like, no matter how I try to dress them up. Rather than choking them down, because I’m paying farmer’s market prices for this stuff, I’m trying to get OK with the idea of giving them to others, or hell, even throwing them in the compost if they’re really odd. (Like, how many bags of pea shoots can one person eat? I got SO many bags of these.) It helps that our local mutual aid group is now asking for produce donations. They are getting my beets this week! I accept that no matter what I do to them, I simply do not like beets!

6 Likes

I did my stupid timesheet every stupid day of this stupid week. And hey, I didn’t have to fill out the entire week right now as I get ready to log off!

7 Likes

Feeding the compost is the perfect thing to do with too many pea shoots. (I say this as a person who rather likes shoots, even!)

3 Likes

Week 1 check in
I’m filling it in as I go at random times of the day, and it’s awesome. I’m motivated because I can see there is stuff I can do, because I’ve done it already! I’m also spreading my activity across my day better, instead of wearing myself out and then not being able to move the rest of the day.

9 Likes

I’ve been doing great with my simple goals. Getting into the garden every day is so so so good :sun_with_face: and I think tracking my spending is finally becoming a habit again.

I cannot believe it’s already been a whole week of November.

10 Likes

WEEK 1 Check in

Ahhhh! Budgeting for a super small baby shower is still a way bigger task for finances than I realized.

Currently still a bit lost on YNAB going into a new month. When I get a clear question I’ll post it here, but right now I’m just keeping on and hoping it works itself out.

I’m so glad My goal right now is just to stick with budgeting and keeping track of my finances. I see a lot of expenses coming up the road, that I just want to confront head on instead of reactionary spending.

Next week’s goals:
This week’s been very reactionary when it comes to spending, but hopefully I can get a handle on that more next week.

9 Likes

Week 1:

• Go outside every day. Yes! Easy this week with beautiful weather in the 60s and 70s.
  • Net negative clutter. New things: a cardigan in my new size, a patio heater that took a million hours to assemble, some baby feeding stuff. On the up side I did clear out preemie clothes and threw out a pair of sandals too beat up for BN. Total for the week: +4.
6 Likes

Do we have to update weekly? If so, this is not my weekend home, I am away at work so have done no decluttering.

8 Likes

There has probably been at least a week where I have consumed no liquids other than coffee, so only 20 oz of water for the whole month is not completely beyond the realm of possibility.

That said I did look at my planner and write a to do in it every day this week and drank at least 20 oz of water each day. I got a fancy insulated stainless steel cup thing from work on Monday which is somehow motivating my hydrating.

9 Likes

I’ve been finding little self-care things to do every day. I keep forgetting to write them down but trying to catch up on that and leave my journal in a more central location so I remember to write in it.

The things that have helped me the most have all involved getting outside, even if it’s just sitting on the deck for a few minutes during lunch and watching the leaves fall.

6 Likes

I did 3 times a sport session (1 personal, 1 rehab, 1 walk)
Budget is 32€/250€ veggies, eggs, cheese from the farmers market and a nice bouquet of roses :rose:
No works on weekends is really a challenge, usually I start the laptop Sunday around 6pm and start prepping for the upcoming week (mostly 1-2 hours)

I am not happy about not having personal training due to Covid, but fortunately rehab sport stays because I have a prescription for it. I am lucky to have health insurance with a strong focus on prevention, I am already got a renewal of the prescription. (each prescription is for 50 (!) sessions a 45 mins. Sessions are functional training with focus on either back, hips/knees or whole body)

4 Likes

Ohhhh dayum. That is good to hear, thanks.

7 Likes

I had a rest week on the workouts this week. Needed. Back onto the exercise bike, mat and meditation cushion for a steady intro session tomorrow, which I’m looking forward to.

Had to fiercely fight the impulse to spend this week, probably because it was a rough week, so there was some comfort spending waiting in the wings. Proud to say I did it. Which I wouldn’t have I think without this forum. So I have stayed on budget. And have also done about £15 of Prolific surveys this past two weeks, so that adds to the pot. Thanks all again for that.

Mainly though, I am looking after my health and trying to settle my system with good things like nice warm baths, and extra sleep. Onwards (gently)… :slight_smile:

6 Likes