Covid-19 discussion

Super annoyed at my daycare and decided this was the right place to complain.

On Thursday we got an email saying on Monday kids would not longer wear masks and vaccinated staff would no longer wear masks. But they would “support your decision for kids to wear masks if we want them to continue.”

Our daycare has 5 masks for our daughter, and washes them. They do not allow the kids to bring them home.

I emailed pediatrician Thursday, got a voicemail on Friday that she is out until Tuesday, but she didn’t tell me which way to go, as she said she wanted to “discuss the risks”. So I haven’t heard back from ped yet.

Husband drops off daughter today and they have her in a disposable mask because “we didn’t hear so we didn’t know what you wanted to do”.

1. The email didn’t say we needed to reply with a decision either way. One would assume since you have all their masks, continuing to wear them is not a problem.
  2. What the hell did you do with the 5 masks you have? They didn’t get sent home? So where are they?

I’m really annoyed.

I’m also completely annoyed they removed the masks from the kids with 1 day notice, and as far as I can tell, no CDC guidance that this is OK to do.

I was fine when they stopped wearing them outside, but why inside?

14 Likes

Sign 8932 that Florida has decided that pesky virus thing is done: Instead of having daily numbers and a dashboard for coronavirus numbers, there will just be a weekly report. This would bother me less if it weren’t right after Memorial Day - our numbers last summer exploded after Memorial Day. I can’t pull up the NY Times tracker, but our vaccination rate for the state is ~40%.

4 Likes

My friends 6yr old will be getting their covid vaccine asap. They’ve been following it incredibly closely, and most of us have enough of a microbio background to be very comfortable with the science behind the new vaccine. We all got the mRNA vaccine as soon as we were eligible, and are avoiding taking the kiddo out until they can be vaccinated. Until then, it’s still only small hangouts and outdoor activities with other kids from daycare or adults we know who have been vaccinated.

9 Likes

I ate lunch in a restaurant today for the first time since the pandemic started. Every other table was closed because were still at 50% capacity, and all employees were wearing masks.

3 Likes

My state (Western Australia) has just announced everyone over 30 can get vaccine, the booking page is currently not working due to high volume, but I will be booking in as soon as I can

@LadyDuck I am not sure if you saw the announcement
https://www.healthywa.wa.gov.au/COVID19vaccineFAQs

13 Likes

Everyone told me at once! It’s very exciting, I wasn’t expecting to be available until end of the year.

9 Likes

Still waiting in Qld. Getting closer. 40+ yo able to get vax now (I’m 38). Technically I do live with a healthcare worker and could get it (I think). I’m almost the last one left in wider family to get it.

6 Likes

UK just opened vaccines to over 25s! I was there at 7 ready to book, but after waiting for 20 mins in a queue, the only appointments were the next city over and I got sent back to the start of the (now much longer) queue while I was trying to work out if there was public transport.

I’ll keep trying!

10 Likes

I was able to book in online for the end of this month (there were earlier dates available but not that lined up with my days off work) so thankfully no in person queue

2 Likes

Nice! I’m only queuing online too, so can’t make too much of a fuss :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Vaccine slot booked for next Monday! (And only a three mile cycle which isn’t bad for an early slot)

19 Likes

Read “the premonition” by Micheal Lewis. Very interesting read.

Potentially setting up vaccine clinics directly on the Canada/US border:

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/tunnel-board-approves-shutdown-for-mid-tunnel-vaccine-clinic?fbclid=IwAR2i-IF4wjFQ35nDGXbq66uMl9dHPa0iw2tUy7G3vVlgn2aYt5TtUK9Z6VY

6 Likes

This has more details on the vaccine timeline for kids under 12. It’s still going to be September/October but it explains what’s going on between now and then.

10 Likes

My workplace just announced that they’re revising our Covid restrictions, and as long as the overall facility vaccination rate is >75% we don’t have to wear masks (while encouraging unvaccinated employees to keep masking). My building is at 76%, so possibly I don’t have to wear a mask at work anymore? It’s going to be so weird. There are “new” hires whose faces I’ve literally never seen.

11 Likes

I don’t understand why it’s going to take so long for results if they’re just looking at immune response. Maybe it’s a struggle to get enough participants? I tried to sign my kids up but we’re too far from any study sites. I want them to hurry up!

1 Like

They are also looking at reactions and side effects.
The article just said they aren’t trying to prove a link between immune response and lower infection rates, only that they are proving there IS an immune response. The trials still need to show all the safety data, and that the benefit of the immune response is worth any potential harmful side effects.

I have to say, the new approval for the alzheimer’s drug has me questioning the FDA a lot. It shows next to no benefit, has an insane cost, and very dangerous side effects and got accelerated approval. Makes me a lot less likely to get a new vaccine for my 2-year old when I’m seeing other things being rushed, potentially dangerously.

2 Likes

2 passengers on a cruise ship have tested positive. Everyone on the cruise ship had to provide proof of vaccination and negative test before embarking which means they got sick on board.

Cool cool cool.

5 Likes

I’m wondering if they bought those vaccine cards online….

4 Likes

I wish the article said what day they set sail. Since it’s 2 passengers in the same stateroom, it’s very possible they both had the same pre-cruise exposure (maybe from someone unvaccinated?) and were still early enough in the incubation period to test negative when they boarded.

4 Likes