Covid-19 discussion

I ran errands this morning and got a coffee… We have no mask requirements anymore but so far everywhere about 90% of people are still masked. I’m glad I brought one just in case!

4 Likes

Chicago is fully reopening with no restrictions on June 11. It was going to be July 4 but they moved it up. Not sure how I feel about that, we’re only at 42% vaccinated.

3 Likes

Here too. I plan to keep wearing mine indoors.

1 Like

I thiiiiink but haven’t checked that we’re close to fully open and individual businesses can set their own rules - I believe we’ll be fully open by the end of the month. I don’t go anywhere high risk aside from work so I honestly haven’t paid attention. I am comfortable with this; IMO the goal of government involvement is to be sure hospitals have capacity to treat patients, not to eradicate disease, and they’ve accomplished that with current vaccination rates.

6 Likes

When I went shopping last Monday, I think masks here were a bit over 50% for customers, more like 80% for employees.

2 Likes

It looks to me like the stores here are mostly requiring masks for employees still, but just recommending them for unvaccinated people. Most people still seem to wear them, but the county has a really high vax rate.

2 Likes

It’s interesting- here the store I go to most often is like 90% for customers and like 50% of employees.

2 Likes

Meanwhile I have yet to see an unmasked employee anywhere.

1 Like

I saw one at target that was it.

1 Like

I am going home to celebrate my brother’s elopement next week, and I just found out his bride-to-be is “still hesitant but thinking” about the vaccine and definitely won’t be vaccinated by the time we’re there. Ugh. My brother got vaccinated weeks ago so I assumed she did too.

Normally I’d want to wear a mask around unvaccinated people but we’re supposed to take a bunch of pictures, I’m sure there will be hugs, and we’re all having dinner together. Guess I better trust the CDC’s recommendation that it’s okay for vaccinated people to spend time unmasked with low-risk unvaccinated people…

I’m not really worried about getting sick myself (I do trust that the vaccination will protect me from serious disease), but I don’t want to be an asymptomatic vector for some kind of variant. It’s definitely a weird adjustment back into normal life - it’s hard to shed the guilt about doing anything, even if the CDC says it’s okay.

12 Likes

My first one pinched but I didn’t feel the second one at all! For the second one she asked me to hang my arm loosely and I don’t know if that made a difference.

Not having your muscle tense definitely helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

YIKES, just came back from the lakefront and it is as packed as pre-covid.
We stayed on the paths, didn’t go on the sand or near the water as it was body to body in places.

YES, THIS. I feel super disrespectful for not wearing a mask outdoors. And we’re going to the (indoor) cat cafe tomorrow, it’s a misnomer because they only give you, like, pop in a can or a water bottle, no food, but STILL, indoors with strangers, WUT. Even though they’re still requiring masks. This is definitely a process.

3 Likes

I too noticed a major difference between first and second shot-giver. First one felt like a hole was getting punched in my arm. Second was more along the lines of a flu shot, burned some going in but the actual stick didn’t hurt really.

1 Like

My mom said she wanted to go for massages with me next time she’s in town as a mother’s day/birthday present and my initial gut response was “WTFNO!!!” Being in a small room with a stranger for almost an hour?! What insanity is this?? Um, I’m fully vaccinated, this is supposed to be fine. Even after thinking about it for a while my gut is less alarmed but still weirded out. :neutral_face:

5 Likes

I went to a clothing swap today with all fully vaccinated people…it was inside…we all had masks off. I started with my mask on but it was very sweaty and I was like “okay Imma believe the science” and…

normal but weird at the same time.

16 Likes

I got a massage with a fully vaxxed therapist and it was glorious. I figure I’m being cautious enough in other areas that one hour of tiny risk was worth it.

6 Likes

Yeah I recognized it as an irrational response right away at least, looking at it rationally it should be fine. Also we’re going to send Kiddo to summer camp probably in mid July sooooo yeah. Compared to that a massage should hardly be a blip on the radar. Also - massage! I want one so bad! Or many, really. Many massages.

3 Likes

Almost no masks at all in Omaha zoo this weekend, and it was insanely crowded. We did not have the kids wear them outside but did make them wear them in indoor exhibits. Since the kids had to wear them, we did too. The zoo was insanely crowded (Drew made us leave the aquarium because “mommy, too many people”. It was shoulder to shoulder) maybe 10 other families we saw in masks.

The zoo sign said all unvaccinated guests over age 2 were required to wear masks.

I think I’m most impressed with how many under 16s Nebraska has vaccinated!!!

7 Likes

My massage therapist told me. “I’m vaccinated but now that I think about it, we should have always been wearing masks in this job. I’m way too close to way too many people’s faces all the time.”

17 Likes