Covid-19 discussion

I did choose to eat my packed lunch instead of go to the team lunch at a food hall. I wanted to go get fancy ramen, but I did save money and practice social distancing from a crowded food hall.

4 Likes

I was linked to this and found it a powerful read.
I read the translated-to-English version which is in the first 2 comments of this link. It is from a doctor in Italy.

8 Likes

In my city, I also am of the opinion that it is selfish not to self isolate once there are known cases.

I think the media is hyping up the fear. But the way to minimize spread has nothing to do with how deadly or not deadly the virus is. It has to do with protecting vulnerable populations.

From an immunological standpoint, being in an area with likely (as yet unreported!) exposures and carrying on about your life is the exact same thing as not getting the flu vaccine then not taking care to limit your contact with folks vulnerable to respiratory illness.

Just picture Tiny Baby every time you (generic You) think itā€™s dumb to be intentional about your number of trips to the store/mall/movies/park.

anomalily I do think itā€™s different when you are being very cognizant of your surroundings and are taking precautions. Youā€™re not just saying ā€œItā€™s not that big a dealā€ and ignoring recommendations.

I hope I can get closer to summer before getting infected if itā€™s going to happen.

11 Likes

Heā€™s really cute. I promise. Imagine him and imagine me going angry bear on you.

12 Likes

Excellent post. Thank you. I wish I knew how to convince others of these things. IT IS PROBABLY NOT ABOUT YOU. (You being the generic you.)

7 Likes

And the only thing we DO know about outcomes of this disease is that delaying the spread DOES help prevent death.

There are a limited number of ECMO machines in our country. The more we can stagger BIP cases, the better.

11 Likes

Interesting thread. Iā€™m in France where weā€™ll probably reach the ā€˜pandemicā€™ stage soon. I take public transportation every day and I have no choice but to be in close contact with a lot of people coming from everywhere but I took some measures by limiting social gatherings, washing hands and being extra cautious (no hand shaking or close contact with colleagues). The media might be ramping it up but there are certainly more cases than reported because not all countries are testing automatically. And we know for certain that itā€™s dangerous for vulnerable people so I think itā€™s responsible to do our bit to limit the spread.

8 Likes

I agree. I was talking about the same issue in my journal about Africa where the worry is about limited resources and other deadly diseases taking the backseat. I think resources being diverted to Coronavirus will reduce our ability to take care of other sick people. I know it was the case in Africa for Ebola; more people died from malaria and measles during the outbreak. The US and France have more resources but still ERs are strained in every country and limiting the spread will save lives and free resources for other critical care.

7 Likes

6 Likes

I admit Iā€™m having a really hard time with all of this - being trapped and therefore missing out on life in any way is a major anxiety trigger for Reasons. Regardless of why I am being trapped. Even if Iā€™m prepared with enough food, cat food, meds, etc. I would feel the same way if we had some natural disaster heading our way or there was a polar vortex coming.

Iā€™m trying to get over it but am failing and my therapist was of absolutely NO help today. She was just like, donā€™t think about things you canā€™t control and I was like, have you MET me?

This all feels very selfish but that is the flavor of anxiety that I happen to have, unfortunately.

My work says we can work from home as much as we like. I am debating how much to do so (ETA: this is largely because no one else is and I feel like Iā€™m going to be somehowā€¦ not punished, but thought of as paranoid?), and until stuff actually shuts down I have to keep coming in on Wednesdays or else forego my lunchtime therapy appointment. Maybe I should. IT is working on getting me an adapter so I can plug the ancient monitor I have at home into my work laptop, as the screenā€™s really too small for me to work as quickly as I really need to be. I should have that tomorrow.

Boyfriendā€™s work was going to send him home with a ginormous PC tower and 2 monitors that heā€™d somehow have to haul home on public transport, but he learned that itā€™s so old it doesnā€™t connect to wifi and thereā€™s literally no way to rearrange our apartment so that he can have that much computer equipment thatā€™s not his in a room that is not catproof so that he can manually plug a cord (ie, cat toy) into our router. So, I donā€™t know whatā€™s going to happen there. He can do about half his job on his mac at home. They donā€™t have a laptop or a PC that can connect to wifi, that they can give him. Maybe heā€™ll get fired if he doesnā€™t come in.

1 Like

If work is giving you the option, I would work from home as much as possible. Donā€™t feel one ounce of guilt over it. Just do it.

I tried to convince my parents not to go anywhere. At the beginning of the conversation my mom was kinda like, ā€œWell, I guess I need to think about when and if I should stop volunteeringā€¦ā€ And I said now. The time is now, Mom. Not tomorrow, not Monday, now. Iā€™m not sure if I totally got through to them.

They were just at the grocery store yesterday, so thatā€™s good. Weā€™ll see if they actually follow through and let me go shopping for them when they run out of fresh produceā€¦

8 Likes

My favorite thing is theater. I have a lot of theater and concerts coming up in the next few weeks. And I have tickets for Les Mis in Eugene (2 hours from here) in a month, something Iā€™ve been looking forward to since last summer.

Do I just miss it all? These things pretty much define ā€œgroups of 20 or more peopleā€. Iā€™m also immunocompromised.

I havenā€™t skipped anything yet, but now Iā€™m considering it. If I got sick and the aftermath affected the rest of my life, it would not be worth it.

3 Likes

Just heard that the NCAA basketball tournament, aka ā€œMarch Madnessā€, will be played without any fans in attendance.

3 Likes

So here is my workā€™s approach:
Weā€™re currently at a level 3 out of 4 on the internal crisis response ranking. Today and tomorrow the business is trialling splitting the workforce into two teams - Red and Blue - for non- essential staff and having one team work at home each day.

I suspect weā€™ll quickly go to level 4 which is work from home all the time. There is an international travel ban to a range of countries and domestic travel is limited to business critical travel.

The response is easier for office based staff - but harder for the operational staff in chemical manufacturing plants, or the crews on mine sites. Theyā€™re working out what minimum staffing levels are and sorting out a similar bifurcation of the workforce.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really confused by this too. Everything Iā€™ve read says yes, we should skip this sort of thing. I have tickets in April to a band that is overseas and very rarely tours and the goth community here is all, will they even be able to travel here? If so, do I go? Tickets were stupid expensive. Ugh.

Iā€™ve registered for some dance classes. I guess I skip those too? Even though itā€™s small groups of people?

Iā€™ve pretty much resigned myself to the fact that a) weā€™re not going to New Orleans in May which means b) we likely have to push our timeline for moving out of Chicago by another YEAR. For folks who donā€™t read my journal, the plan was to visit the 3 cities on our list of possibilities, decide by end of the year, commence frantic job hunting, move a year from now when our lease is up. Seems like thatā€™s out. Boyfriend is unwillling to mvoe somewhere heā€™s ever been, and I understand that. But I donā€™t know when itā€™ll be safe to travel againā€¦

Oh, and, it turns out Boyfriendā€™s work hasnā€™t even given permission to work from home yet. Theyā€™re just contingency planningā€¦ which, I think the contingency is now, yeah? Argh.

4 Likes

Also - I dunno why weā€™re so worried.
A panda-emic sounds awesome and cute. image

20 Likes

I really appreciate how thoughtful this community is :heart:, on this topic as on so many others.

Iā€™m in the camp of people not worried about risk to me personally, but keen to slow the spread so that people who have a more severe response can receive adequate medical care.

On a minor note, Mr H was really really really looking forward to having two weeks off starting at the end of March, and now it looks likely that weā€™ll have a kid at home full-time by then :stuck_out_tongue: poor bastard.

15 Likes

And also, I very much appreciate PDMā€™s reminders of the funny side of this. Maybe itā€™s dark humour, but I can laugh at coronavirus jokes even while worrying about my medically fragile loved ones.

11 Likes

Iā€™m coming around to thinking that I should skip everything. Yes, itā€™s horribly disappointing, but getting sick would be worse.

When I missed the epic 6-hour play because it was snowing so much, I was disappointed but it was so clear to me that it was the right decision. It would have been unsafe for me to drive. I will probably never get to see it after missing my chance because how many theaters are willing to put on a 6-hour play?

So Iā€™m starting to reframe it as ā€œitā€™s currently unsafe for me to goā€. It helps to think of it that way. These are not normal times.

12 Likes

Completely agree with all the comments that is so important to at a minimum slow the spread of the virus to give our health systems a chance. #flattenthecurve and versions of this diagram are all over social media but it brought the message home to me. There are documented assumptions and calculations behind these representations. My immediate family and I would be considered low risk although weā€™re all on asthma preventatives but my mother although in good health is 92. She lives in New Zealand which has had I think 5 cases so far.

5 Likes