Covid-19 discussion

My older two are getting their first dose today. My youngest isn’t quite 12 yet


We will most likely hold off on getting Puglet vaccinated. We live in a high vaccinated area of the country and I know he’s low risk being a kid. It’s a tough call, I go back and forth a bit but today that’s how I’m leaning.


We will likely get the wiggler vaccinated ASAP. I don’t really see any reason to hold off? If he’d ever had a significant vaccine reaction perhaps I’d feel differently, but he’s barely noticed his toddler vaccines.

I signed up to get information about vaccine studies if there are any in my area–I don’t know for sure that we would sign him up for a study, but since there aren’t any nearby we haven’t had to make that decision.


We will be getting Kiddo (6) vaccinated ASAP. By then it will have been tested like crazy, not only because of the scrutiny the vaccine has had to go through already but because I imagine the standards for pediatric medicine are very particular.

For context, in past years we got his flu shot through the school but their flu shots (or flu mist) were administered a month or more after I had already gotten my flu shot and it made me antsy that there was that much of a delay - I considered making an appointment just to take him to the pediatrician to get his shot, but ended up not because I worked full time across town so that was a +3 hour commitment and disruption to our week versus just waiting longer for it to happen with no additional effort on my part.


Our daycare is returning to normal operations next week.
(This week they went to no masks outdoors.)

Children and vaccinated staff will no longer wear masks, classes will be combined as ratios allow, etc.
Unvaccinated staff (?!- originally she said the whole staff was vaxxed) and parents still have to wear them.

I am emailing my pediatrician to ask a recommendation if our 4-year old should continue to mask at school. (Our 2-year old has not worn a mask, they started in the 3-year old classroom, though they moved all the older 2 year olds early to get them into masks.)


11 posts were split to a new topic: Class in the US (was Covid-19 Discussion)

Probably different contexts, but everyone I know in my area is eagerly awaiting approval for kiddos. My 12yo nephew got vaccinated the week it was approved, and his parents had been sending him to (mostly outdoor) summer camp, not super strict on masks, etc.

My 7.5-month-old seems to react well to his vaccines so far, and he’ll probably be 1yo+ by the time approvals come for under-2s. I’m probably waiting a couple weeks after approval (mainly to coordinate with the many other appts, also we’re in less of a hurry bc he has protection from prior covid positive), reviewing lit, and then booking the appointment.


I will be getting my toddler vaccinated as soon as possible. She is 3 so likely not able to get the vaccine until the end of the year. I’m also 33 weeks pregnant so baby likely won’t be able to be vaccinated for quite a while. Hopefully she has antibodies due to me being vaccinated while pregnant and hopefully breastfeeding.


I’ll be getting pipsqueak vaccinated as soon as possible. (Probably not an option though for quite a while… maybe 2022?)

I’m also not quite sure why anyone would delay. Are you concerned about severe adverse events like the rare blood clotting cases from the J&J vaccine? Something else? If it’s just a low grade fever, upset stomach, site injection pain then maybe I’m a callous parent but in my mind that’s not a reason to delay vaccines. My job is to protect pipsqueak even if that means some temporary discomfort.


We’re also planning to vaccinate as soon as possible.

On a related note - I would strongly prefer to have my toddler vaccinated in his doctor’s office. I felt that the person giving me my first shot was a little casual in jabbing, and it hurt a lot, whereas my husband’s person seemed more skilled and his didn’t hurt at all. I’m sure she was skilled, but that was my feeling. All in all, for me, a not particularly needle-phobic person, not a big deal. For my toddler, I’d really like the nurses at his doctors office to give the shot.


I’m not sure if this is a question to me or just the general you. For the people who have told me they will delay, yes it’s because they think there are possible effects like the J&J or worse down the road. One friend said, “who knows what they’ll find out about this vaccine 10 years down the road, it’s possible that getting Covid would have been better.” This is from someone who got the vaccine for themselves but doesn’t believe kids are at much of any risk. I don’t think anyone’s worried about a sore arm or low grade fever. The people I’m talking about are worried that 10 years down the road we’ll find out the vaccines cause liver cancer or something.

I don’t plan to delay personally, but I recognize that it’s a choice I’m making for them that could have significant consequences either way, and I’m trying to make the most informed decision.


This is what I’m hearing the most (at least from folks who believe covid exists/aren’t virulently anti-vax in a normal sense). It’s one thing to judge the risks and make the choice for yourself and another for the tiny human you are responsible for. That, together with a much longer timeframe for possible vaccine effects to show up, I think makes it harder. And there is SO much misinformation out there about vaccines in general and then covid in particular.

It’s a mess. Hats off to all the parents and caregivers of the tiny humans navigating through all this.


I’ve been concerned about the long-term affects of Covid that we don’t know about yet, especially nervous system issues affecting the brain and infertility (no basis; for some reason this just would not surprise me). Are there concerns about the vaccine because some of them (I think) are new types of vaccines (mRNA)?


Yeah, admittedly I work with a lot of antivaxxers, but the potential effects on prepubescent kids really concern me in a therapy that is very new. Not enough for me to definitely not get my child vaccinated and not enough to let a pandemic rampage. But enough to not feel fully confident that I’m doing the right thing.

I’ll also get him the varicella shot because my concerns about that won’t be effected by skipping it, so better to protect. But after how badly he reacted when he had two different vaccines and not knowing which, plus strong immune reactions every vaccine…I’m happy to slow it down slightly


I have heard no credible scientific reason why this vaccine should have any more long term adverse effects than any other vaccine - and I say that as someone whose child had a reportable reaction to the DPT vaccine in the Olden Days.


Definitely not directed at anyone in particular!

I’m not an immunologist so am not an expert on vaccines but I am a scientist working in biotech/pharma and am used to thinking about things in weighing the cost/benefits. From what I’ve read (which is admittedly not that much), vaccines have only rarely been linked to serious issues. We know that covid has short term and long term implications on many people’s lives. It’s looking more and more likely that covid will be around in some capacity for a long time so it’s fairly likely that Pipsqueak would be exposed and probably contract it in the future. I would rather have primed her immune system to recognize and fight the virus than to be left unprotected.

There were some very interesting papers published showing that people who survived covid in the early days of the pandemic produced different antibodies than those who didn’t - our bodies don’t always get it right so I’d rather give it a blueprint to work off of.


My city (population ~150,000) reported a 7-day moving average of new cases of 1.0 - this makes me very happy!

Despite the state being mask-optional since last week, most people I’ve seen in stores this week continue to wear masks. I have been, as well, because I don’t want to make others uncomfortable. But I may be ready to end that. Maybe.


There are almost no visible masks in FL. Employees mostly have them, but as chin warmers. It feels shockingly normal. Of course we are mostly doing outside things.


I’m mostly okay with no longer wearing a mask now that I’m fully vaccinated and it’s no longer recommended for fully vaccinated people

1 Like

My workplace and the bigger hospital we share space with still require masks everywhere on campus and I hope we do forever. I can’t wait for temp checks to go away though :laughing: