Children’s book reviews group journal

Digging it

1 Like

This weeks haul:

3 Likes

We like the “happy thanksgiving biscuit” book for a toddler thanksgiving one. Only presence of the “story” of thanksgiving are a couple corn husk dolls with subtle pilgrim clothes, and no overt mention of it. Just talk of family and gratitude. Keeps it simple.

3 Likes

Why do we cry is a good one, but my highly empathetic kid was sad by the end, so we’ll see if it gets a reread. Still, she elected to check it out after we had read it so :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Hoooboy. Lots of God in this one.

That was unexpected. Religion aside, I think other books do what this one is trying to do better.

1 Like

oooh I am a children’s/young adult lit major and I am scrolling delightedly

I have a book blog where I talk about mostly middle grade / young adult books which is probably not your alley (the youngest kids’ books I review are probably 3rd-grade early readers) but I (regrettably) don’t read a lot of children’s picture books.

8 Likes

I am delighted you are delighted!

3 Likes

I have a kid going into Year 1 next year. I would LOVE to hear what you are finding good, whether your blog on a DM or for you to share some here!

5 Likes

I have a second grader and am very interested in this.

5 Likes

Okay, huge library holds haul. A bunch that have been pending for weeks came all at once :sob: we checked out like 19 books. Holy crap.

This may or may not be all of them, Latte keeps wandering off with them :laughing:

7 Likes

Annoyed to admit that Latte loves this book, and it’s vastly improved her emotional dialogue the last couple days. I just have to verbally edit as I go. (As an atheist, I’m not quite ready to tackle the “mommy what is god” questions today if I don’t need to lol)

6 Likes

I keep meaning to post here and forgetting

Creepy Crayon/Creepy Underwear - it took me a while, probably longer than it should, to realize that this is what horror is for little kids. I love it. If you look on Youtube for Aunt Awnie I think her name is, she reads these aloud. Kiddo came across the videos ages ago so he was stoked to finally get the physical copies.

Dogman books are the shit according to the second graders I know. I think first graders also. They also include jokes for the adults - the other Dogman book we have right now is Tale of Two Kitties and I think the chapter titles are other Dickens nods.

Pete the Cat books are usually good early reader books, the Love book is just a bunch of quotes from famous people about love and are not meant as early reader materials. That was annoying to discover several pages into doing his “homework” reading.

Dude is funny and has only one word. Dude. Dude! Dude? DUUUUUDE!!

5 Likes

3 Likes

I need to take a photo of our library haul…

2 Likes

She’s had me read “more more more” 4 times in a row now. She also really liked the mo Willems one.

4 Likes

Duckling likes the pigeon book so much he was the pigeon for book week this year! Its so much fun!

4 Likes

A bonus is that the pigeon is super easy to draw!

3 Likes

“cats say nau” is a favourite of my cat-obsessed Pumpkin.

4 Likes

@LadyDuck

This book has a little pumpkin

4 Likes

Awww!

1 Like