Children’s book reviews group journal

Today’s collection. The Lego one actually has instructions for making stuff instead of being an ideas-only book!

I grabbed Ceremony so we could do more talking about celebrations besides Christmas.

7 Likes

Where’s his nose mommy? Where’s his nose?? X50 million times

I would also like to know where the f&$@ing nose is :woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:

9 Likes

Sounds like a black marker could help here…

4 Likes

I loved those Fox/Vivas collaborations!.

2 Likes

Our hits so far:

• Du iz tak? Funny silly play on language. And good bug stuff.
  • Guji Guji - Good sense of humor, fun for both parent and kid
  • Shadow - Reads this over and over. No words. Just telling stories. His preferred medium.
  • The Night gardener! He’s requested it a few times, really enjoys the pictures
8 Likes

So far we’ve read the plants that never bloom book and she loved it. It has a nice rhyme to it. Very throw back illustrations, not necessarily a good way but nostalgic :joy:. A certain 90s goodwill science book vibe.

ETA the one her foot is covering is called “sidewalk flowers”

7 Likes

I’m curious how she’ll like Pete the Cat. Kiddo loves them, he actually brought home two Pete books from the school library last week.

3 Likes

Yes! She’s never read one before, we’ll see. Is there much misbehavior suggestion? I planned to review before reading to her but we’ll see if I get the chance!

1 Like

Mostly no. The bedtime/sleepover book has the friends fidgeting and making noise instead of going to sleep, but then Pete reads everyone a bedtime story and they go to sleep. I can’t think of any other negative behavior stuff in the umpteen Pete books we’ve read.

On a related note, I’m smuggling our copy of Don’t Let Pigeon Drive the Bus to the donation bin this week.

3 Likes

Ty!

Sick of it? :sweat_smile:

Whose Footprints by Gerda Muller is fantastic. Sweet little brain twister as you figure out what they’re doing. All her stuff is excellent. Gorgeous illustrations, too.

It always ends up being read at bedtime and Kiddo always must act like the pigeon. :unamused: Every. Single. Time.

2 Likes

Thank god Duckling identifies with the person yelling No.

3 Likes

I had a colleague who found Pete emotionally repressive because he doesn’t cry. I think it’s okay to send the message that maybe try just walking along and singing your song instead of crying, if you just have wet feet. I love Pete personally. He understands me- I have owned this shirt twice.

4 Likes

ETA lol the Huda one is mine

4 Likes

I forgot a haul in there, but here’s this week:

@anomalily or @Smacky any chance we could move this to the parenting subheader? I keep losing it since it’s pretty intermittent posting. :sweat_smile: your call.

3 Likes

I can’t figure out how but I bet Lilian will have no problem.

1 Like

Done!

3 Likes

We read this at the library today. You should all read it even though you will definitely cry

3 Likes

Delivers on promised snakes on said train.

7 Likes