Children’s book reviews group journal

Yes!

1 Like

Where is baby’s birthday cake, Karen Katz. All her lift the flap ones have aged shockingly well for us. Still enjoyed over here. Got this one for some pre birthday pump up. If your library doesn’t replace books often though flaps are often missing lol.

Baby is channeling big Latte outfit vibes here.

4 Likes

Let’s go to the hardware store, Anne Rockwell. One of our favorite authors. This is easily the fifth time we’ve checked this one out.

Follows a basic life thing. Charming illustrations, good for orienting kids to stuff in the world.

5 Likes

My kid would love this book! Thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Our favorites are career day, hardware store, zoo day, and hiking day :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh and library day! Lol.

3 Likes

Definitely interested in library recommendations! Due to a series of unfortunate events, Pipsqueak just went to the library for the first time last week :grimacing:. But hopefully it will be a more regular thing and eventually (hopefully?) the libraries within walking distance will open up so it’s not such a production to get to one.

5 Likes

The Busy Little Squirrel. Cute, simple, solid fall choice. Latte likes pointing out all the different plants and animals and looking at the pictures really closely. Good repeating structure. Only downside is that we don’t have cardinals here in the PNW lol.

1 Like

Laughs in Australian where cute woodland creatures are feral nuisance or just foreign. :joy:

4 Likes

Do you have a hard time finding books with native flora and fauna? Or is there a robust Children’s book industry there? I know from the 1000 hours group that a lot of areas of Africa it’s tricky to get representative and accurate kids books. Idk for other continents what it’s like! Here there def seems to be more east coast nature content than west overall.

2 Likes

We’ve got a great children’s book industry, but some of the “basics” can be harder to find, like a “how my day goes” you’re books tend to be US or UK. I’m looking forward to sharing some here when i have time! It was more just it’s accepted here that well read our kids books with lots of foreign animals where the books assume they’re common to us? Its in how the books are phrased.

Ooh ok here’s 2 to start:
Diary of a wombat

Hilarious cheeky wombat
Jackie French is an amazing author, heaps of books from toddler to YA fiction. Also an actual wildlife carer and gardener.
Bruce Whatley is a week known illustrator

Possum Magic

A poor baby possum is turned invisible to keep them safe by their grandparent and then they have to eat iconic (white) Australian foods to fix it
Mem Fox is also a very famous childrens book author. Julie Vivas, the illustrator, has done some fantastic books about families and they come in all shapes and sizes without that being the focus of the books at all. She just draws variety in people and its great.

3 Likes

We have alsp enjoyed these two:
https://www.booktopia.com.au/sally-morgan-picture-books/series7404.html
Interacting with Country, Sally Morgan talls about moving and kids can do the actions

Apparently she’s a favourite here i thought this was by a different author, but same!

Need to get these out to wear out Pumpkin a but today.

1 Like

Book haul! 10 books returned, 9 new books out. One favorite repeat (career day). The rest new.

5 Likes

Thanksgiving day is incredible white washed, do not recommend.

2 Likes

Soup day is super cute.

Grocery shop, prep, cook, play, eat. Recipe for the soup is in the back.

4 Likes

@Bracken_Joy I know Latte is super into astronauts - what are some of her favorite books right now?

Our 3.5 year old loves Mae Among the Stars, and has decided (this week) that she also wants to be an astronaut and find books about space at the library :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Let’s see there’s “zoom: space adventure”. “Solar system” by Jill McDonald. I just put a hold on “Ada and the galaxies”

2 Likes

This weeks book haul. 10 out, 10 in.

3 Likes

Let me know if ada is Any good!

1 Like

Unexpectedly low key about aliens? :thinking:

6 Likes