Budget-Friendly Design

I love the color! Sorry it’s not what you pictured :confused:

4 Likes

Bummer about the colour. :crossed_fingers: Here’s hoping art helps.

We used a picture ledge from IKEA to make Ponder a floating bedside table.

6 Likes

Okay, I’ll bite Hive Mind! Is there any way to fit a shower, sink and toilet into 4’8” x 5’8” bathroom? Thats 56” x 68”. We are not in love with any of the fixtures. It’s a basement bath, and there will be jackhammering to put in a drain.

We are not averse to enlarging the room, but we have cupboards and a window in the utility room on one side, and my studio seating area on the other. We’d rather take it in the direction of the utility room, if we had to, but Hubby uses those cupboards and that area in general, and doesn’t want to lose it.

Sorry for the bad photos. It’s a very small room…

The rooms either side…

Utility room…also needs to be redesigned. It’s very inefficient as is. That window is about 14” from the corner.

Seating area in studio… there’s a baseboard heater that would probably have to be moved if we came this way. We’d have to come a full 3 feet into the space where the bookcase currently sits.

1 Like

I’ve seen some toilets with the sink on the tank bit that seem really smart from a space saving point of view.

I’m trying to dig up some photos of the teeny tiny bathroom I had when I studied in Scotland. The sink was in the shower and the shower had a rounded enclosure that kinda swivelled open/close.

3 Likes

Looking closer at your photos, I would rip out the sink/vanity and put the shower there and then a thin sink just to the side or in front of the toilet maybe.

Your door looks like it might open inward so I would see if moving to a pocket door or swinging it outward would work. Either would give you a ton of useable area.

4 Likes

My thoughts also. I’d put in a thin shelf if you need to be able to put things down next the sink at the moment, or hang stuff like soap dispensers off the wall.

1 Like

This has been really helpful. Putting the shower in the corner where the current vanity is would require digging up the floor still, but that’s okay. It will have to be done for the sink too I think?

The current vanity is 32” from the wall if you measure it’s full length. I should be able to find a round fronted shower that size or smaller. If it’s 32”, then I have 14” for a sink. I’m going to look for a 30” rounded front shower and a 16” length sink/vanity.

Thanks for giving me ideas that don’t involve ripping out walls!

1 Like

I don’t have any useful design thoughts but – nice spinning wheel!

1 Like

:joy:. Thanks. It’s a Majacraft Rose. I spin and dye my own yarn to hook into my wall hangings.

1 Like

Haha I thought I recognized that spinning wheel! :heart_eyes:
Also gorgeous chair.

2 Likes

The chair is an old chair that was painted by a Nova Scotia artist named Marilyn Kellough. She lives and works out of Port Mouton, NS, Canada. She had a few of these for sale in different designs at an art show in Port Medway, Nova Scotia.

Did you figure out your bathroom situation? We had a tiny bathroom in the basement that was around that size, maybe a tiny bit bigger? We called it the camp shower because water would spray all over the bathroom from the sides of the shower curtain when we used it. I would tile the whole floor to drain down into the shower and use waterproof materials for all the walls (ours was lined in cedar planks, did not wear well aesthetically in the shower itself but it was really a “camp shower”), and you can get a really tiny corner sink and a compact toilet.

3 Likes

Not yet. We took the summer off. I kind of know what I want, but finding it locally and finding a plumber to do the job is a real hassle. They are booking a year out here. And charging way too much in my opinion. But we have to do it eventually. This fall we’ll be filling holes and touch up painting the living room. Everything is on hold. Hubby wants to go on his annual bicycle ride with family before settling into his “fall projects”. Unfortunately family has rebound Covid. I’m busy at a conference now. I will touch base with everyone once it’s over.

2 Likes

gallery wall help please

1 (lichen, large/rectangle, glass, smalls in vert line)

2 (glass, smalls in vert line, large/rectangle, lichen)

3 (lichen, large/rectangle, glass/smalls in horizontal row)

or an alternative? we have

• metal lichen
  • large ceramic square
  • 3 small ceramic squares
  • rectangle ceramic (it can be hung horizontal or vertical)
  • glass wave
4 Likes

The ceramics can be massed in a square in a few different ways for option 2

1 Like

Can you show the top image with the glass wave to the left of it? ETA I like that the lines on the right side lineup really well but I think if you try to line up the lines on the left pieces it will look too forced. I think adding the glass piece on the left angled from bottom left corner to upper right corner (within context of itself, still to the left of the other pieces) would suggest the movement that explains why the top left square is not left justified to match the bigger bottom left square.

2 Likes

having the glass on the far left? (we have moved to a table instead of the floor)

1 Like

I like that as well but I meant to ask about the first display of option two.

2 Likes

like this?

3 Likes