Budget-Friendly Design

At this price I would sew two of these together so it was 18x18x24.

OR add some feet and a plywood base to it so it meets the height requirement.

1 Like

Thanks! With the poufs, I was hoping we could get more extra seating bang for our buck, and also use them as footrests when we sit on the couch. I like this general direction with the poufs on the right, although we’d try to go more Western/fancy cabin:

I haven’t done all the layout planning yet, but I’d eventually like to get a chair or two in this general direction. They are $$$ enough that I’m thinking I’ll wait a bit, though:

4 Likes

Alright, remember my empty sunroom? I took advantage of some cyber Monday sales to start to make it more comfy. I bought the Target rug recommended by @Marcela (plus a similarly colored one to see which pattern I like better), a rug pad, a pouf to go with the reading chair, a throw pillow, and a door mat. I ended up going with a rectangular rug to be sure that it would cover up the crawlspace door under the reading chair. I’ll post the after pics once I have them.

Want to add once I have a better sense of the space: small side table for the reading nook, shelves for workout gear, and a moveable mirror for workouts.

13 Likes

I have been in love with this poster for a while but was waiting to order from Etsy until I found a suitable frame. Yesterday I was able to score a free frame! Yippeee, I can’t wait to place my order! [Is it just me, or is this poster amazing?!]

So my freebie frame pretty much looks exactly like the one in this image. I think the poster looks a bit crowded here with the text very close to the frame. I think I might prefer having a smaller poster with some space between the frame and the poster. Question 1: Do you agree?

However, my frame is exactly the right size for this poster. If I order a smaller poster, the vertical and horizontal margins will not be symmetrical (2 inches on each side, 3 inches on the top and bottom). Second image is a mockup of what it would look like (turquoise represents where the poster would be within the frame). Question 2: Which frame/poster layout do you prefer, image 1 or image 2?

5 Likes

Non-symmetrical mats in rectangular frames usually look better to me, and it this case I think #2 will look really good

3 Likes

I don’t know, but that poster is awesome. :joy:

2 Likes

I like the mat much better, but wouldn’t do white. Poster is awesome.

1 Like

I like it without the mat. I think it works even though it’s close because of the gold border). I vote #1.

2 Likes

I am once again here asking for advice! I’m chipping away at the sunroom. I’ve never spray painted anything, but this small table and this plant pot seem like solid candidates to be spray painted white? I’m seeing mixed advice about whether I should sand/primer/paint, or just buy a paint for plastic items?

4 Likes

I don’t know the answer, but I’d probably go for plastic paint. I’m not sure what sanding a plastic item is like? Excited to see the transformation!

1 Like

I’ve had better results when I’ve bothered to sand, but still did well enough without it. Not sure if spray paints have just gotten better than when that advice was absolutely necessary.

3 Likes

I’m sh*t with spray paint, so I avoid it. I know there are problems with some spray paints on plastics.

Re the painted piece? It will probably be fine. You might want to try the bottom of the shelf first if it’s also painted, just to make sure there’s not verathane or lacquer which might keep the spray paint from sticking the way it should. Give it time to dry before you decide. You may need to sand it or you may not…

Google the spray paint on plastic idea, if you don’t get good answers here. I would!

2 Likes

I want some kind of design website where I can test out some ideas for tile layouts? It’s nothing fancy but I need to be able to show DH what it would look like to tile just the shower area green, or 2/3 up the wall the whole way around the bathroom, for example.

Some options:

2 Likes

My bathroom vanity is finally installed!

Anyone want to help source cute cabinet pulls? I purchased some that look like this, but unfortunately it would need to be installed right where the child locks are so…I think I need a knob style instead.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GlideRite-3-3-4-in-Matte-Black-Solid-Square-Slim-Cabinet-Drawer-Bar-Pulls-10-Pack-21683-96-MB-10/311051374

The vanity was not that budget friendly since I had it custom built to fit the space BUT I did the plumbing myself, and haven’t had any leaks in 12 hours now. So that counts, right?

10 Likes

Can you show where the child locks would go that make your pulls unworkable?

I would try placing the pulls centered horizontally at the top of the doors. I feel like it would balance with the black faucet above and probably not interfere with the child locks? I dunno, I have no children and just run like hell when the tiny creatures invade my home and aim for doors they shouldn’t be opening.

9 Likes

Oh, I hadn’t thought about putting them horizontal!

I also want to get an above toilet shelf, a picture frame to put instructions about the child locks and more importantly the toilet lock (for someday when people come visit again) and nicer soap dispenser/hand towels to add some color. Budget is ideally $50-60 for everything but realistically I could spend a little more. So if you’re in an online shopping mood… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Horizontal pulls would look nice but are awkward to use. I wouldn’t place them there.

I would go with knobs, in the place you’d want the top hole of a vertical pull to go. Then when you are done with the child locks in a few years you can replace the knobs with pulls ( if you still want them then).

4 Likes

Update: I ordered some square black knobs and will return the pulls.

I will now continue to spam this channel:

Decorations advice for these shelves? This is in my office and this side can be seen in zoom backgrounds. When I have enough bandwidth I blur the background but often it’s in view. I’d like something that reads professional and cheerful.

I can easily aquire from other parts the house

• Novels and/or hardcore chemistry and biology textbooks
  • bright blue votive candle holders
  • different or additional colored pictures and frames (dark wood, silver, or bright blue)

@MonkeyJenga I feel like this is something you have expertise in? Currently I have no cats that will interfere with anything I put up :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Third photo and put more books on their side in the 2nd shelf?

1 Like