Budget-Friendly Design

I would like a new (to me) lamp. I would also like to minimize what I buy new. So I have been scouring FB Marketplace and Craigslist for a couple of months looking for used lamps.

I finally found one that I could get for the cost of $25 plus a 80-mile trip (total, there and back). I absolutely love the shape. I don’t love that this lamp has brown speckles in the finish up close (so common in authentic MCM stuff). But this is by far the best thing I’ve found in months of looking. What do you think?

Also, if I do go with an old lamp, do I need to plan to replace the wiring for safety? I’ve never done it before, but apparently it isn’t that hard?

8 Likes

I like it! But I do think that’s a lot of driving for a lamp you don’t love.

3 Likes

Re the screen in the bedroom? I’d find a single panel something, instead of louvers. I had louvers in bifold doors in all the bedroom closets. They are a total PITA to clean! Our long-term plans here change this 2 ways: we turned the closets into side by sides, to avoid the footprint the bifolds require and DH is intending to buy the jig to make us plantation shutters instead. We will PAINT these (what we have is stained) and make sure they’re sanded very well beforehand so they can be cleaned with a swipe of a damp rag. NOT possible with the shuttered closet doors the house came with.

Or, we may just buy solid panel doors instead. Depends on the budget and location, right? When we were in FL, we needed the air circulation. Here in New England, we don’t.

1 Like

Working on our awkward bathroom. Found an antique plant stand on fb and finally switched out the basic :peach: over-the-toilet stand. It already feels so much bigger!

Starting point:

Now:

Plan:

• deeper/vibrant-er green paint - current green looks dingy
  • basement scrap wood to make a couple shelves for above the toilet
  • bring in plants, botanical art, and cute baskets for plant stand
  • get rid of the white storage unit and metal shelf, replace with wall of hooks for towels
  • get some kind of storage vanity to replace pedestal sink (peeking out from behind the shower)
  • new shower curtain

Questions!

• What kinds of woods and materials would go well with the mahogany stand?
  • How much green paint? Halfway up the wall? White with a green mural?
  • There’s not a lot of legroom between the sink and the toilet. What kind of storage vanity to do - drawers, doors, or open shelves with baskets?

Initial mood board:

12 Likes

That’s looking really tight between sink and toilet. Could you go for shelves under/around the pedestal sink with baskets? I’m worried you don’t have quite enough clearance for a cabinet door to swing open or a drawer to come out plus human legs. Unless you want to use the toilet as a vanity stool which isn’t the look I think you are wanting to go for. What specifically are you looking to store? If some stuff is going to be needed less frequently, could you do insanely high shelves over the door?

Always add more hooks than you think you need for hanging up towels. This will let you spread out a particularly sodden one over 2 or more hooks so it dries better and you don’t get icky moldy smell or crap growing on your walls.

2 Likes

IT IS SO TIGHT. Anyone have experience installing a compact toilet in place of a full-size?

I saw an IKEA vanity that was shallower than the current sink and would maybe allow for drawer clearance, but it’s still not great. I guess open shelves with baskets is DIY-able, which is nice. Mostly storing towels, toilet paper, and my Waterpik. Smaller random crap can go on the other shelves, or get kicked out of the bathroom entirely.

Definitely doing tons of hooks, both in the bathroom and the closet room. Right now towels get draped over every door in the house, which is not a great look.

1 Like

I think it would be a bigger bang for your buck to slim down the sink/vanity than try to find and install a more compact toilet.
Putting the sink in the corner of the vanity or just offset will give you more usable space as well. I get annoyed at the sink in our guest bathroom smack dab in the center of the vanity so there isn’t enough room to either side to out down a hair dryer. There would be, if the space wasn’t bisected.
Could you do a wall mounted faucet to save some inches there as well?

1 Like

Oh, the offset sink is interesting. I think we actually do have enough space on either side if we extend the vanity to the walls, but then we run into what is formally known as The Windowsill Problem:

A sink that’s high enough to use would block the bottom window trim. Possibly we could have a vessel sink that comes up higher from a lower counter? I don’t love vessel sinks, though.

Wall-mounted faucet would be nice, it’s a matter of how much money/time/outside contractors we want to get into.

4 Likes

Haha I’m in the process of getting rid of that exact vanity in my downstairs bathroom as well! Luckily I have enough room for a 21" depth cabinet and I got a narrow undermount sink.

I’ve found that home Depot is good for searching on specific dimensions, it was easy to filter for sinks with specific depth and width.

Would any of these work? (Less than 16" vanities that have sinks included). https://www.homedepot.com/b/Bath-Bathroom-Vanities/Less-than-16/N-5yc1vZcfv3Z1z17bx6?mtc=SEM-B-F_D29B-G-D29B-029_022_VANITIES-Generic-NA-NA-DSA-NA-NA-NA&cm_mmc=SEM-B-F_D29B-G-D29B-029_022_VANITIES-Generic-NA-NA-DSA-NA-NA-NA-71700000032881018-58700003903916355-39700050640485075&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAiA1aiMBhAUEiwACw25Ma3w4KCk3DD6GPnOSY-97s0I3dMPInW9tgwbJ_ktsTcw4iKQfNgmURoCPAEQAvD_BwE

ETA that I’m replacing it with a countertop that’s a couple inches shorter actually… spouse and I are very avg height and I think that sink is a little higher than normal. (Unless it’s a slightly shorter exact replica of my sink)

1 Like

love this

2 Likes

Everything was bought new, so not peak budget friendliness, but: our couch finally came! It only took five months :grimacing: Wild how a couch that’s the right size pulls the room together. Next on my list are throw pillows, an improved seating situation (poufs??) and a blanket basket.

Oh, and my mom offered to make us pillows for the window, so that we can take the boxes down. They’re so our dog son can’t see squirrels in the yard.

19 Likes

I love it!!!

2 Likes

Is the couch from home reserve?

1 Like

No, Interior Define - we have a small space and wanted a sectional, so it was a whole journey to find one that was the right size.

2 Likes

Looks good! Poufs are cute and flexible, it really depends on what you need extra seating for. Short-term perching vs a cozy reading chair for example.

4 Likes

We bought a vanity on sale:

In my heart, I wanted to find a vintage dresser and get a counter from offcut marble, but I knew htbf didn’t have the same level of patience.

Now I’m wondering if this medicine cabinet, painted in a deep blue, would look cool or bad-vintage. Walls will be 2/3 dark green and top third very light grey.

6 Likes

That’s smart, covering the lower part of the windows. My dog goes beserk barking at those squirrels who dare to be in our yard. But we have the couch up against the windows so she’s up there and can see. We’d have to block our view entirely to block her view.

2 Likes

GOOD couch. I have some ideas. Hear me out. What if instead of window pillows and cardboard you put up some of that opaque film? You still get light and dog son does not get to see out. Then where you have that one dark blue chair, you get two nice sitting chairs and an end table in between to kind of pen in the sitting area a bit?

ETA like this! Style of chair not intended lol

4 Likes

@noitsbecky, thanks! He somehow has a better angle to see the squirrels from the new couch (I don’t know how!) so we may have to revaluate.

@noodle OK this is a cute set-up, I’ll have to think about it more and do some experimenting. My wife is into it too. We’ll also get blinds or shades at some point, so I’ll want to think about how all of that works together. More to come!

I spent some time today looking for poufs like this: https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/nikki-chu-18-wide-faux-leather-square-pouf-ottoman-jpu10199.html I couldn’t find anything that was at least 18 inches high, came pre-stuffed, was under $300 per pouf, and had solid reviews.

2 Likes

Why are you leaning towards poufs?

I like this guy for your space, but price is above the $100 mark.

If you have the room for it, I would go for something wider than the pouf you linked. Those can sometimes feel precarious.

2 Likes