Bridgerton

Show Eloise is much more annoying. Book Eloise complained about the society stuff, but did so while still participating in it. None of this absurdity.

book versus show differences

I have zero idea of what they are planning to do with Eloise because the entire Theo storyline is brand new and the person she is eventually supposed to marry has their storyline upended as well.

3 Likes
Summary

Still haven’t watched S2 yet but I really didn’t like how they handled the end of S1 and messing eloise’s storyline there, which I didn’t like before I’d even read eloise’s book and realised how it was supposed to fit together. And I also didn’t like several aspects of her book.

After reading a selection of the bridgerton books I could see why they picked it (well established author, several aspects to play with on film) but I don’t actually like the books? But I’m not sure I’m exactly the right audience. Maybe the plan is to drop some of the key aspects of Eloise because it was pretty dark, especially compared to fear of bees…

1 Like

I’ve made it through the first 4 episodes of season 2 and I can’t believe how many changes they’ve made. I’m in the middle of a book right now but I want to go back and read the 2nd book just to remind myself of the details so I’m confident when I rant to Ry that they’ve changed something :joy::joy: I also wish we could watch more than 1.5 episodes per night. I just want to stay up and binge watch the whole season

4 Likes

I took a vacation day to do our taxes on Friday, and I had a list of other chores I wanted to get done. Got the taxes done, but none of the other chores because I binged 5 episodes back to back :joy::joy:

6 Likes

I don’t mean to be in the “The book was better and now I am scorned club” but here are some of my specific ramblings on the differences I liked and did not like from the books.

Episode 8 Spoilers

One change they did make that I like is that Eloise found out about Pen being lady Whistledown. I understand why it didn’t happen in the books - they wanted to focus on Eloise’s love story - but something never felt right to me that she didn’t know after how close of friends they were. I also liked that they included the modiste in the scheme, that was a nice touch.

The show is doing a really nice job of weaving aspects of all of the stories into each season instead of having them all be a stand alone love story and I enjoy that alot.

Grumbles below:

I was annoyed at how many times Kate and Edwina seemed to have the same fight at the end. Did we really need 8 fights where Kate says she isn’t good enough and only cares about her family and did everything for her sister? We get it already.

I agree with what someone said before - I liked the trope in the book that Edwina was in love with someone else and there wasn’t a weird love triangle between the sisters.

I also didn’t like that they didn’t have the thunder storms play as big of a part. One of my favorite scenes in the book was between Anthony and Kate was under the table in the library. I feel like that was the true moment that they really connected and in the show other than a few close ups of them touching hands (SCANDELOUS) you didn’t get to see why they fell in love and connected on more than a physical level.

Also I was most disappointed in the lack of steamy scenes. I wanted the same level as what they had in season one - this was just plain rude. lol

7 Likes

Oh that’s right!

Summary

I saw the thunderstorm part and was like “Oh good!” but then, yeah, they didn’t do much with it and it was important! And I also agree about how they should’ve given Edwina someone else she was actually into but felt like she couldn’t be with. They spent so much budget on other stuff and they couldn’t hire one more actor to show up for like two episodes?

On Kate being “I only care about family!!” when she and Anthony have that revelation at the end it was very … I dunno. Like, where have they both been the last eight episodes? Didn’t you both establish this in episode two or three at the very latest? It took away from the impact of the moment. Then again even Daphne was like “You two have so much in common, HINT HINT BROTHER” when Kate and family were over for dinner early on.

I was also surprised at the steamy scene they had at the very end of episode eight. Like, oh I guess her contract did allow for certain things after all, why did they not include that earlier and just have a more wink and a nod level of steamy at the end. shrug

2 Likes

3 episodes in. I have many disjointed thoughts.

Things I am skeptical about:
-The Queen’s interest in Lady Whistledown and really having her as a character at all (continuing concern from Season 1)
-The lessened sisterly camaraderie between Kate and Edwina. The whole grandparents’ will plotline is unnecessary, and trying to keep Edwina in the dark about the need for her to marry well seems both not believable* and like it’s putting them on separate teams. I like Book Edwina with her determination to do her job for her family even if it can be painful.

*Because she must know that if Kate didn’t get a Season and Edwin does get one, there is a reason.

But I like:
-Making Lady Danbury into a more central recurring character
-The new and improved death scene for the elder Lord Bridgerton
-That they do NOT appear to be doing “compromising position” two seasons in a row; arguably this is a flaw with the books
-Tiny casting thing: That elder Lord Bridgerton looks like the age he should be, 38, and not 60 something as TV/movie parents so often do.

Lady Featherington reminds me so much of Julie Cooper from The OC that I thought they were played by the same actress! She’s so compelling. I don’t LIKE her… but I don’t want her to lose to the goddamn Crowpers. No.

The childbirth scene with teenage Anthony Bridgerton being asked to opine on his mother’s labor… Oof. That was A Lot.

6 Likes

I want to be a part of this. I can ditch work and school for Bridgerton bingewatching, yes??

5 Likes

Yes

2 Likes

You are the worst! But I like that about you. :heart:

2 Likes

It’s one of my many charms

1 Like

Something about Eleanor and Lady Bridgerton that I remembered earlier

Summary

When Eleanor leaves whatever ball in tears and tells her mother that she (Eleanor) is a disappointment to everyone including her mom, the mom looks surprised but then … does nothing about it. Mom fail, Lady Bridgerton! Do better!

5 Likes

I agree with all of these!

The Boy didn’t really get into the new season until he found out about the dead dad being the reason for Anthony not wanting to be in love. In Season One they did the whole thing with the opera singer and I was afraid they were dropping the plot line with his dad- I’m glad we are hearing less about Sienna and more about Edmund.

Episode 4 felt mostly like filler.

3 Likes

Oh great, I think that’s my next one :joy:

1 Like

Oh forgot something I wanted to say about the bee sting, she’s so chill like “it’s just a bee sting” as if it were a mosquito bite. I am very afraid of bee stings ever since my mom (who is allergic) told me

disturbing imagery

she had to get giant needles in her stomach.

I’ve never been stung but I get the impression that they’re still very painful. She’s like “no biggie!”. It did not seem realistic!

3 Likes

I haven’t yet watched and am likely to next week but anyway…

I’ve had bee stings that really were no big deal. Most of the time they are super painful straight off (based on my children’s most recent ones) and then are fine after an hour or so, more like a nasty mozzie bite at that point. It really depends on how much poison and how your body reacts.

1 Like

She was chill right after the sting! Like “I don’t feel a thing” :joy:

1 Like

She should have at least {whatever it is people do when they can’t swear in historical settings}! A “yeowch!” Hmph.

1 Like

To be fair, they were in the middle of a fight. Lord knows, I’ve blown things off when I’m determined to win an argument.

4 Likes

I’m going to be That Person and point out that the bee design looks less like a honeybee and more like a bumble/native bee that might have less painful stings than your standard honeybee lady.

5 Likes