Birding

I haven’t seen it (I wish!), but I just saw this news report:

If anyone is in the area…

2 Likes

kingfisher? this is the only photo with the beak, everything else I got was fully tucked in. A fairly large bird, and we have seen kingfishers here before, but there is no crest.

2 Likes

Hm, does not say kingfisher to me. (Especially those feet.) One of the herons, all folded up? Black crowned night heron?

4 Likes

oh, we do have herons and egrets on that stretch of river

1 Like

yes, because there were two other in that tree, and they were brown speckled

1 Like

My guess was a night heron as well.

3 Likes

the websites imply we’re right on the edge of night heron territory, so that’s cool

1 Like

is from Dec 29 in the same spot

3 Likes

Teen swans, so prancing

7 Likes

egret, and one more poser

9 Likes

multiple people got green heron photos at this pond on Saturday when we were out. I was not so lucky.

6 Likes

Cooper’s hawk (?) on the commute today (ok, the photo is terrible, but I’d like to see you do better from a moving bus.)

5 Likes

I didn’t manage to get the camera out for the pukeko I saw from the train this morning, so I respect the hawk from bus.

4 Likes

Cooper’s Hawk sitting just outside my window - it flew down between our houses and just chilled there.

I wouldn’t have seen it if my (small) parrot sitting in that window weren’t suddenly completely still and silent.

9 Likes

Good instincts on your parrot! :wink:

1 Like

He’s a smarty! I have a friend who had an owl slam into her window where her bird was playing under a lamp at the window :flushed:

2 Likes

:scream::scream:

1 Like

We had a hawk hit our back slider door once when I was growing up because my chihuahua was laying just inside it :flushed: birds of prey are scary lol.

3 Likes

Merlin says paradise sheldrake

5 Likes

masked lapwing (looks much better full sized)

7 Likes