Baby gear: What do you really need?

It’s nice for people with pole bean boys who stick to gendered clothes departments. I’ve had to talk several friends into giving girls leggings a go and it’s always a game changer lol. It’s amazing how many boys pants have drawstrings that don’t actually work? Very weird :sweat_smile:

ETA and pre good elastic in clothes lol. And farm kids who blow the seat out of their pants really fast, real denim is nice then. I don’t like the mobility restriction of denim though and I don’t like that babies immediately put the buckle/clip part in their mouth and I’m like uhhh what’s that made of tho

4 Likes

Hmmm who could have been catching up on this thread…

This discussion is confirming my plan for baby to live in the easiest clothes possible. Also yeah ya girl is definitely getting an up-high changing place.

Is this where I admit that baby bows have always seemed weird to me?

7 Likes

If I were very concerned about people accurately assessing my baby’s gender I would use them. But I don’t care. Yet I got a huge bag of bows from someone.

3 Likes

Strangely, it was not as big a clue as you’d think. I had one pink bow that came with a gift outfit, and it didn’t stop people from asking if it was a girl baby or a boy baby.

3 Likes

I wasn’t gonna call you out lol

4 Likes

Oh feel free lol

2 Likes

My #1 baby thing is the forehead temp thermometer. A very specific brand that probably doesnt exist in the USA, it is the only way i can convince my kids to have their temps taken, and I get consistent readings from this particular one. My older will still scream the house down if I suggest taking his temp under arm or tongue, and the little is prone to ear inflammation so ear ones are horrifically painful.

Related I was admiring the device today and patting it and thanking it for being so helpful which is very normal behaviour with an inanimate object, yes.

6 Likes

Interesting! My forehead one doesn’t seem very accurate, but I know kind of the range she normally reads at on it so if it’s higher than usual I check butt temp.

5 Likes

This was our experience too, my pediatrician family member tested a bunch of thermometers and found the forehead to be the most accurate.

At least in the US/our Childrens hospital, we were told to be prepared to take temp rectally until 8 weeks. Now we do all forehead.

4 Likes

What brand did you get? Our forehead one gives wildly different readings minute to minute.

3 Likes

The brand is “medescan”. I can’t find it online at the moment, I bought it 7 years ago.

2 Likes

I remember you saying you have access to consumer reports?? Would love to see which ones they recommend here…

2 Likes

I have so many forehead thermometers. I hate them all, none seem accurate. I use my hand and inner wrist like an old timey prairie mom, and if it seems bad then I do armpit temp rodeo nursing.

5 Likes

this is my issue lol. but the daycare Ravioli is moving to will use a forehead one, so I kinda want to have one as well

5 Likes

Oh and one other thing on overalls. Holy FUCK are they loud in the dryer.

(I took these out of the hand me down bin. Will they get worn? …unlikely, but they make excellent back of the drawer spacers so I don’t lose anything back there :joy:)

8 Likes

can confirm! :laughing:

4 Likes

This is also the primary function of the fire tonic and bulk nut refills at the back of my fridge shelves :joy:

5 Likes

I have several jars of pickles that are just brine lol

1 Like

I was given bows by someone who had 3 girls and said she regretted not putting bows on her girls more. I did get one really cute picture:

But mostly I forgot them. Including when we did family photos!

Things where my experience diverges from yours:
-I just had a permanent baby holder in each relevant area rather than something to carry about
-baby shorts: I liked to cover her legs if she was going in the car seat
-bath seat: I didn’t have one, but I do NOT like getting in the tub with baby. We used a baby bathtub until she could sit in the tub independently. Previous babies I had a sort of sling thingie that went in the sink (I had a larger ink at that time)
-Double zippers: Nope, I kept finding hidden poop and having to shove baby back in to re-unzip. One direction FTW

Biggest “I agrees”:
-Ergobaby embrace! Readily available secondhand, great for small baby
-Woolino, totally worth it

If anyone is reading this with lots of disposable income, I kind of regret not just splashing out on a Tripp Trapp with a newborn holder AND baby holder. Newborns like to be at eye level while you are eating. I’m still not buying one because I don’t have room for an extra chair but the solution I have (Fisher Price booster in a dining chair) is hard to clean.

Other:
We got a lot of use out of the frame for the baby bucket car seat. It was less top-heavy than attaching it to a full stroller; the Boy in particular hated doing it that way.
-Other than that, for this my 3rd baby I have decided that I just don’t care that much about the stroller. I have 2. Car stroller and walk stroller. I bought them at the consignment sale for $9 and $50, respectively, and they are both Fine. (The walk stroller is a Chicco Bravo and the car stroller is an umbrella stroller that has a little hanging bag in which to put one’s phone and coffee.)

EXCEPT- if you should find a stroller that has cup holders large enough to hold, you know, a beverage of any description, that would be worth any amount of money. Or that has a place for your cell phone. The Bravo does not.

5 Likes

Same!! It’s hard to recommend universally because they are expensive AND some toddlers/kids don’t actually sit in them but my kid has always love her tripp Trapp and I really wish we had gotten it earlier with the infant seat. (It would be a good high price thing for the registry if you need a few of those).

4 Likes