Baby gear: What do you really need?

I noticed someone was reading through this thread so I figured I would pop in with some “what we actually used” notes.

Tried it and won’t keep/get again.

• Baby swing. Since we weren’t going to let her sleep in it, it gave us maybe a total hour of peace for the $150 and 6 months it took up 9 sqft in our house. Might be worthwhile if your baby really likes swinging.
  • many pants before like, at least 3 months. If she needed pants we preferred sleepers.
  • Any baby shorts at all. They don’t make baby warmer. They don’t do anything to prevent a blowout from going everywhere. Just why. Ditto diaper covers.
  • I wasn’t a fan of shirts (like not onesies but separate shirts) until recently. Ditto sweaters etc. preferred to make the whole outfit warmer.
  • Dress up type clothing. Had like a $36 outfit that never got used because a 4 piece outfit? On this much sleep deprivation? No thank you.
  • Anything with more than 3 snaps.
  • Newborn hats, but our baby was born in the summer.
  • Baby bows. She wore one for the duration of a picture and never again. Gets mistaken for a boy constantly. It’s fine. Strangers can think my child in gender neutral clothing with a gender neutral name is a boy, it really doesn’t matter.
  • Baby socks. Highly recommend soft booties though, one size up, and if baby is wearing pants tuck the pants into the top of the sock. Not necessary if baby is always in a sleeper though.
  • Ring sling. I think GM used it less than 10 times and never really got the hang of it.
  • Moby wrap. I was far too tired to figure this out.
  • AngelCare bath seat. Once she was big enough for the tub I just started getting in the tub with her. :woman_shrugging: the bath seat just floated and she would wiggle out and slide down.
  • A baby food “system”. Just use your regular food prep stuff. Get yourself a good blender or food processor. Baby will be eating purees for only a couple months.

Yes:

• ErgoBaby embrace, or similar soft structured carrier. We also have an ErgoBaby Omni but the embrace was INSTANTLY better for our baby when she was small. Also less sweaty.
  • A changing table. Your back will thank you. This doesn’t even necessarily have to be expensive. Ours is a super sturdy pottery barn one off FB marketplace for like $15.
  • A play mat for the floor that is easy to clean. Like a little padding and swiffer-able.
  • A kick piano. Bonus points for a light up one. Saved my ass during the first illness which kicked our butts when she was 3 months old. It was also the first thing that got our kinda blind baby to want to lift her head or do any tummy time at all.
  • Zip up sleepers. So many. Double zippers are wonderful but single zippers in either direction never bother me.
  • Woolino sleep sack.
  • Sleepea swaddle.
  • Something like a Moses basket or baby box or something… Nice to have something you can move between rooms easily and put baby down in safely.
  • Saline nose spray that is safe for newborns
6 Likes

Add overalls to the list of things I don’t want to mess with on an infant. They’re cute but not worth it.

1 Like

I bought adorable ecofriendly overalls for B1 when he was 2. They were huge. Then we started potty training…. So fully fully useless

4 Likes

Oh yeah I got like five pairs and she is sized out of all but one and we’ve never used them. I don’t need pants with extra steps.

2 Likes

Another thing: I’ve tried using standard bibs for food. They don’t do shit. I could see some for drool if you have a VERY drooly baby but not for food.

3 Likes

Pipsqueak lived in these because she spit up all the time, and it would save outfits. But agree they do nothing for eating!

4 Likes

I never thought of it for spit up … Oh well.

3 Likes

I loved overalls! So much easier to change a diaper when the pants had snaps or a zipper.

1 Like

But you have to wiggle em all the way down to change em!

1 Like

I used to just unsnap them, and then all over the head?

I also loved overalls when they were 1 - 2. Once they were 2.5 and potty training, it was track pants all the way

2 Likes

Baby overalls with the snaps are good! Somebody bought me a pair of 6 or 9m overalls with no crotch snaps. I did not use them ever! But until they move I just do pyjamas and onesies. And now it is sweatpants for B2 just as B1 has started wearing jeans half the time

I think i did have one pair like that as well, and also, zero use!

As a non parent but older sibling, I thought the idea of overalls for older babies/toddlers was that they don’t have waists yet so pants don’t stay up. They do seem like hell and a half for potty training.

Oh I love overalls on an older infant/toddler. I had some that had bottom snaps for infant/early toddler

Bottom snaps on pants is just too many snaps for me! See 3 snap rule. I could see them being good for when she’s running or crawling around outside. Now if someone makes some overalls with a zip off bottom I’m sold.

Oh you’re all assuming the overalls have snaps on the bottom. This makes more sense now! No I’m talking full on overalls, no snaps on the bottom, clips at the collarbones to fasten. Like adult overalls but mini. Also in a non-stretchy corduroy fabric.

2 Likes

Oh nah the elastic waistbands take care of that issue no problem.

1 Like

Or just unsnap and pull them up? So much easier than putting pants on and off.

No! These had no snaps! You’re out of luck, you must pull them all the way down and basically off.

1 Like

Oh, every pair of overalls we had had snaps or zippers. Oshkosh B’gosh!

3 Likes