Baby gear: What do you really need?

Oh, I also have stroller opinions!

If you live in an urban Walkable area, I do think strollers are important for at least a year or two. I wanted something with a bassinet attachment but then my baby had severe reflux and hated lying flat. We inherited my friend’s uppababby Cruz and it was amazing for the urban life for a while. The big basket underneath with lots of clearance and the ability to switch baby front facing or back facing being the things I loved most. I could fit two full bags of groceries and a diaper bag, or three bags of groceries and carry the diaper bag home on my back.

We stopped using the stroller around 2.5. She either walks with us and I bring the Boba Air carrier in my purse for when she’s tired (she can make it about a mile) or we bring a wagon stroller if we need to carry a bunch of stuff.

I hugely recommend the Boba Air! It’s so lightweight! It’s for babies 4 months and up to.45 lbs so we still use it weekly.

If I was doing it again, I would get the Nesting Days men’s carrier for months 0-4 (up to 18 lbs) and the Bob Air for after that (14-45 lbs)

6 Likes

Yes, that sounds like a special use case where the stroller would matter a lot! We don’t routinely do shopping with the stroller, just park walks. I did once do 4 miles round trip with the stroller frame/car seat combo but that was a one-off.

I have a super old Action Baby Carrier but am considering a Boba now that baby is taller- she doesn’t seem as secure (it’s a lower carrier). She’s 20 months and we still do carrier walks sometimes and want to do some hikes over the summer.

4 Likes

I love the Boba for hiking and we use it instead of the fancy hiking backpack we have. Pipsqueak is average height but with a very long torso so I’d expect a tall baby would get similarly long use from it.

2 Likes

I completely forgot that I did this with a scarf before B1! So maybe I won’t throw out my boba wrap yet

2 Likes

I feel the same about strollers (& cargo bikes). I think it depends on your transport methods & routines!

Another thing, each baby has their own needs & prefs. The Lalabu shirt carrier that was perfect for my preemie? Outgrown by #2 at 2 months. Same with high chair, bassinet, etc. My only lesson is that any reviews of anything as perfect for everyone are highly sus and babies are gonna baby.

6 Likes

Very late to this! This is the one I have, apparently bought from Amazon even though I am a known Amazon hater for electronics: Amazon.com

I have access to Consumer Labs, not Consumer Reports (would be way more normal) so I’m not much help here!

1 Like

Did I already share this here? I love it. At 6 months with bubs I still love it (and she’s 86% height lol). For PNW outdoor baby wearing? Unbeatable.

https://a.co/d/0OR4mJf

1 Like

Oh dang whoops

1 Like

Our stroller/vehicle and baby carrier is ridiculous
(Mostly sourced used or off of buy nothing). We own:

• Baby jogger city mini gt, with Chicco adapter (main stroller when with baby only
  • Baby jogger city select with two seats and buggy board
  • Joovy sit n stand two seater
  • Step2 push car
  • Radio flyer tricyle with push handle that acts as pseudo stroller

*ergobaby original
*ergobaby embrace
*beco 8
*baby bjorn original carrier
*deuter kid comfort hiking carrier

Somehow we use all of these (carriers and strollers - i don’t really know how :joy:), but we live in the ‘burbs.

4 Likes