Are You a Human? You Should Watch K-Dramas With Me

Is anyone watching Mine on netflix? I’m already obsessed and I just started.

1 Like

I finished Mine a while ago and it was a fun watch. The twists were super obvious very early on but I still liked it! The clothing was gorgeous.

Tonight I finished watching Mystic Pop Up Bar and it was by far my favorite k drama I’ve seen! It’s a great blend of comedy, fantasy, and feeeeeelings. Highly highly recommend!

1 Like

Given that you watched Cha Cha Cha, which so far is my fav (tho I haven’t finished it because I have a commitment problem), I am super stoked to watch mystic pop up!!

1 Like

Yesssssss

1 Like

I finished watching My Shy Boss! It was ok but not great. If you’re looking to get into K-dramas and you want a romance I think I’d try something else. It’s a workplace romance with some mysterious elements but the writing kills it a bit. There’s a long stretch in the middle that’s pretty dull.

Now I’m watching Hotel Del Luna and I really like it! I’m finding my favorite K-dramas are the ones that play with magical realism and fantasy. This one is about a hotelier who runs a hotel for dead souls that haven’t crossed to the other side yet. Really fun so far, but Mystic Pop Up Bar is still my #1 favorite! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Im looking for a light romance, no nasty twists, no death/ time travel/ bad stuff happening/ mixing of reality and unreality. Is this the show I should start with? Are there any others? I like light, funny, slice of life, romance but not heavy sex scenes (no sex scenes would be fine, I like the flirty bits of romances).

1 Like

Yes this is very chill :slight_smile:

I just finished watching My ID is Gangnam Beauty. It’s about a girl who is bullied for being ugly and then gets plastic surgery to be pretty, but has some hang ups for having fake beauty. When she enters college she meets a natural beauty who is anything but real!

Ive been having a hard time completing the k dramas I’ve watched recently. But this one i watched from start to finish!! So good.

It’s definitely got fat phobic and eating disorder stuff in it, so, content warning there. :slight_smile:

Even with that, it’s so so so good. Because the entire theme is about women hurting themselves to be perfect and beautiful but the show ends on showing how this objectification is toxic and doesn’t make anyone happy.

2 Likes

Just wanted to let folks know that I moved this thread to #popculture area of the forums!

3 Likes

I just finished the series Hotel Del Luna and I highly recommend it if you like fantasy/romance! It’s about a hotelier who is tied to a cursed tree (for her past wrongs) and who runs a hotel in Seoul that welcomes dead people, allows them to rest/settle business/complete grudges, and then helps them pass to the afterlife. The hotel has to have a human manager, and shenanigans ensue. Also it’s a great cast of fun side characters, and there’s plenty of adventure and thrilling parts thanks to spiteful ghosts and past lives and mysterious secrets. Also fabulous clothes and delicious looking food. IDK if anyone has ever tracked such a thing, but I swear Korean tv shows have more onscreen food footage than anything else I’ve ever watched. Genre doesn’t even matter, the characters can be midway to solving a serial killing and there’ll be an entire scene of amazing looking food. I get so hungry watching!

Now I’m starting The Bride of Habaek, also a fantasy…and probably there will be romance too. Too soon to tell but the premise sounds cool! Will report back when I’ve watched more.

2 Likes

I have been on a K drama and C drama kick for the last three months. How did I not know this thread existed? Also, I haven’t already watched a lot of these recommendations.

My favorites so far have been Remember When it Rained and One Spring Night (same director/male lead so very similar feel). Both are on Netflix. Both are slice of life romances.

But I have watched and enjoyed a ton over the last couple of months.

For C dramas, I’m currently watching All My Glory (on Prime/free on YouTube) with Yang Yang. I also watched The King’s Avatar (Netflix) and really enjoyed it. All My Glory has dieting talk but is a sweet romance. The King’s Avatar is a come back e-gaming story centered around friendships (no romance).

3 Likes

I haven’t tried c-dramas before! I think its because i tried j dramas and they were SO BAD OMG. So I was like, no, clearly I can only k drama. But chinese media is actually really great cartoons wise so maybe I can give it a go.

I also really don’t like China so maybe that is affecting me. Not, like Chinese culture. Like, the government of China. shakes fist I will dislike you from afar and still support your excellent artists as they rage against the machine!

Anyways, pinging @Allhat - there’s a new i drama called alchemy of stone that you might like. :slight_smile: I havent started yet but it looks right up your alley. Fantasy and humor!

2 Likes

Ooo, thanks! <3 I could use some fantasy rn.

2 Likes

I like so many things about chinese media and fashion, I suspect I might like c-dramas…

2 Likes

@wintertell i am watching falling into your smile, a c drama. I am enjoying but also i know it’s really bad. Like, it’s not at the j drama level of bad acting, but it’s not great lol. What c dramas do you like?

Also does anyone listen to contemporary Chinese music? I like Prune Deer and would love to listen to more Chinese artists.

1 Like

I have watched it twice :joy::joy:. The acting is purposely a little over the top but the story is actually pretty good :+1:.

I just watched What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim? Last week. Supposed to have the steamiest kiss in K-dramas. Still actually quite PG for US standards but also would agree for K drama.

Extraordinary Attorney Woo has been topping the charts on Netflix but I thought it was good but not AS great as others.

1 Like

Two C dramas I really liked:

Love 020 - Yang Yang’s breakout series.

The Rationale Life - working life romance with some great romance in both the leads and secondary characters

All of these are romances - I have grittier series on mywatch list but I tend watch these right before I go to bed so normally looking for something mindless and sweet.

Other notable k dramas I’ve watched:
My Name - k police drama. Very good, faster pacing, tight script.
Stranger - k crime series + political intrigue
Start up - coming of age, start up culture, romance

Extraordinary Attorney Woo features Lee Jun-ho, who I really enjoyed actually in prior series - I like My First First Live and Run On both.

I have Sky Castle and Itaewon Class on my list but those are not supposed to be more traditional romances/dramas so I’m waiting until I’m in the mood for something different to try out an episode.

1 Like

This isn’t K-drama, but is anybody watching Single’s Inferno? I’m completely obsessed, and will start a thread if anybody else is watching.

2 Likes

Flower of Evil is so good!!! Has anyone else seen it? It’s a mystery/thriller but with some romance.

2 Likes

I started it! I liked it but then started getting sad about other stuff so stopped because of intensity. I may pick it up! Also he’s so handsome!

1 Like