Are You a Human? You Should Watch K-Dramas With Me

Marveling over Li Si-Young’s physique in this. The amount of work she had to put into this was probably insane. I imagine she had to restrict food groups and water prior to filming? She’s at 8% body fat here… That’s nuts.

She looks beautiful and badass, but also it’s a good reminder to me that there are plenty of people with the muscles to make them this strong, just that having them all in completely defined display isn’t usually natural.

2 Likes

In this case, 99% chance that its still not natural.

ETA: so, I’ve trained a lot of athletes and figure/bikini competitors. The dedication it takes to get that kind of physique is incredible. It’s possible for some to do it without performance enhancing drugs, but really difficult if it’s not your full time job. Even then it’s hard.

With the stress and shooting schedules of a film, its almost impossible to get that kind of definition without help. Granted, those shots are normally filmed first so that the actor can come in at their peak and then not have to maintain it for the whole film. It’s a whole thing I wish was more openly talked about.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize the hoops actors had to go through to get that perfect shot until I read Matt Mcgorry’s piece on how he basically had a full fledged eating disorder and horrible health when he looked at his physical peak.

Link: https://humanparts.medium.com/my-journey-toward-radical-body-positivity-3412796df8ff

3 Likes

Oh and I forgot to add; I was thinking as I mused over this that there are probably many people who are actually as strong as Si-young but societies fatphobic approach makes people think they have to LOOK like her for that strength to be valid. Ya know?

I may be soft and jellylike, but there be muscles under there :muscle::muscle:

2 Likes

Just started The Uncanny Counter with my partner. A little more gore than I usually want but it was a goofy and fun time also. Hoping that it was only more serious and darker because it was the first episode. Will be watching more.

How’s everyone else fairing in the sea of K-drama?

1 Like

Oh man!! My fave question.

I started Uncanny Encounter but haven’t finished it yet. It’s entertaining but didn’t keep me captivated.

I started Law School, and it’s a nice sherlockian thriller type thing, but it’s a little too serious currently.

On the other hand, Racquet Boys is too slapstick and the pacing on the show is weirdly off.

I watched Mad For Each Other and really enjoyed it. A romance of two traumatized people. Doesn’t sound like a comedy but it is.

I’m also watching Because This Is My First Life, another romcom, which I really like! Though am taking a break because I’ve watched a lot of K Drama haha.

1 Like

A romcom with and easy to follow storyline is the best bet for us. K-dramas are shows we watch before bed. My partner always dozes off so I need to be able to explain what’s going on when he wakes up part way through. Haha
I’ll check out the last two you mentioned. :smile:

1 Like

I am here to add some more to the list. A while ago, @Savannah recommended 100 Days my Prince. Only recently, I have started watching it and WHOA. How could I have waited so long? This may now be on the list of my favorites! When I have time i will do a more lengthy ramble, but here are my new watches that I recommend:

Mad For Each Other
100 Days My Prince
Because This Is My First Life
Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha (SO, SO GOOD, but ongoing, this is now my favorite romcom)

All romance, this time, I’m afraid! Oh wait, one exception:

Argon! A show about investigative reporting. Very, very good so far!

Also, I TRIED Hotel Del Luna, but … eh. I don’t think its my cup of tea.

2 Likes

@AllHat as resident K-Drama evangelizer,I direct you to my rambles here haha.

Right now THE BEST ROM COM IN K DRAMA is on Netflix. Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha. It’s new and perfect. Following that, the best historical romance is 100 Days My Prince and… siiiiiiigh So lovely. Also hilarious.

2 Likes

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS THREAD EXISTED? I’m so in.

2 Likes

Reading through this thread now. I watched The Call right after it came out and it was so good! I think that’s the only one I recognize so I have a lot to catch up on :slight_smile: I’ll begin with Familiar Wife tonight!

ETA: Also not sure if anyone is into korean disaster movies but Tunnel is great as is Train to Busan.

1 Like

Yesssss pls convert to k dramadom with meeee. I need more buddies who love it

@brute aren’t you watching now too?? Hmmmmm

2 Likes

Ok so far I love it.

1 Like

When she kicks her husband off the bed I almost died

1 Like

I love how her cheeks turn red and there is slight steam while she silently rages, just before she explodes :laughing: it’s the perfect amount of camp.

1 Like

Just wait til you experience the extreme level of bromance. Koreans don’t play coy with platonic male love.

1 Like

I have snacks. I am ready.

1 Like

Ok you’ve convinced me, when I start watching TV again in 5 years I’ll catch up

3 Likes

Ok I am officially obsessed with Familiar Wife. It’s so funny and charming and sweet. Thanks @Meowkins because this is perfect timing. I’ve been stuck with higher than normal pain for days now and I really needed something new. The scene where she chases her mom and throws the slipper :laughing: had me practically crying.

2 Likes

I am soooo glad! Korean humor is hilarous, truly!!

1 Like