Affordable Makeup and Femmey Stuff

That’s on the right track! I’m hoping for closer to $1/1 container or reused from something else… And without buying 2 extras. Because I’m stubborn

2 Likes

I re-use the little containers that Sephora employees put product samples in.

2 Likes

New plan! Get a sample, save the tub!!

2 Likes

Does anyone use shampoo bars? Is Lush the only place to get good ones? Bonus points if they’re good for dry scalp…

1 Like

I’ve don’t the lush shampoo bars before and loved them… I’ve only heard decent reviews of the lush ones and assorted Etsy ones. FWIW the ones at bulk barn are useless

I too have this question – slightly dry scalp, hair that gets greasy easily. :frowning: Although it’s currently short as heck, which helps.

Has anyone ever shopped romwe.com ? The clothes are cute and cheap but I’m wondering how cheap they are in person.

I have! Their clothes are in fact extremely cheap, pretty much forever21 quality. They are actually pretty good for home goods and such, and I have one or two pieces of clothing from there that are good as long as they aren’t supposed to last forever. Their sizing is Asian sizing though, so everything is very petite (I.e. I am under 5 feet and a size 4/S in the us and sometimes the large size won’t fit over my hips or bust.)

1 Like

Ooo, thanks! Good to know re: sizing, I’ll size up if I order.

FYI- bought some super cute PJs from them! Cheap but soft!

I decided to attempt highlighter. Baby step to contouring? I don’t ever see that happening, honselty. I’m far too lazy. But I bought this and have been putting it on top of my cheekbones each morning and I like being shimmery.

2 Likes

I wanted to update that I like having a face lotion and face oil. I noticed that I’m going through my face lotions to quickly Dash so I made sure that I picked up a and every one lotion which is a brand of lotion for face body and hands it’s too late for my hands but is one of very few body lotions that doesn’t irritate my face think it has a tiny bit of dimethicone which some people don’t love but it’s not too much to irritate me and it’s $14 for the biggest giantest pump bottle ever. This post was brought to you by Google Voice.

2 Likes

I visited this and got overwhelmed. :grimacing:

I turn 40 this summer and while I have used daytime facial moisturizer with SPF since my teen years, only in the past few have I (inconsistently) used a night cream to specifically improve the appearance of my skin. I’m ready to introduce retinoids and saw this on a “best of” list: The Ordinary Retinol 0.2% in Squalane .

Does that seem like a reasonable place to start? Or should I consider a multi-product “system” like this: The Ordinary Anti-Aging Bundle .

I think my skin looks dull and tired, and I’ve certainly accumulated more scars/spots from scabs and the occasional pimple in the past 5.5 years (two pregnancies, so hormones + fatigue + inattention).

Any advice? I guess with a whole new decade of my life coming up I’m willing to take skincare more seriously now (I mean, I wasn’t doing nothing, but I could be doing more.)

1 Like

I’m no expert but at least six(?) months ago I started using a retinol (ROC) and ummm I gave up? I didn’t see any difference in that time so I stopped.

I did some more digging and decided to just go for Tretinoin. Maybe Retinol does something, maybe, but I wasn’t seeing it and decided I’d go with what has numerous studies and years of results attached. It’s been like two weeks that I’ve been using it so I can’t say I see a difference in terms of wrinkles. But it does something to my skin. Not necessarily great things-- I’ve had some dry patches and flakiness that I don’t usually get. No redness or irritations, though, so that’s good. I’m trying to go slowly and carefully, so I don’t expect results right away. I figure I have to give it at least six months at the rate I’m going to see some improvement. I have the .05% and I’m only using it twice a week right now, and making sure to wear sunscreen every day and I’ve been using a heavier moisturizer than I used to. I hope that as I increase the frequency and maybe at some point the strength, I will see the kind of results I’m looking for.

I wonder, if it’s not wrinkles you’re concerned about but dullness, if you shouldn’t consider something like a Vitamin C serum and a lactic acid.

1 Like

When you start the retinol, don’t do it daily. Like frecks says, you get a little dryness and peeling. After months of using it weekly ish I think that I noticed something. Switching to vitamin c for TTC, I noticed that the vitamin c does the same for exfoliating and glow, but I think I’m seeing more wrinkles? (I also lost 8lb and am dehydrated, so that could be highlighting my wrinkles)

I have about half a bottle of the granactive retinoid in my fridge if you want it. And you absolutely 100% need sunscreen the morning after

2 Likes

Gel polish? If so, you can do this at home. Initial cost was about fifty dollars for me.

I did shampoo bars for a year, so here’s my review:

I didn’t buy from lush because they had SLS in there’s (at least at the time) and I had already been SLS free in my shampoo. I bought from a specialty soap store I can’t remember the name of now.

I gave it a good go trying to get used to it, especially because I loved the minimal shower stuff! I learned the best was to lather soap in hands and then apply to hair, rinse then rinse with a vinegar rinse. This helped with build up and worked like a conditioner.

Even with never applying shampoo bar directly to my hair and always vinegar rinses, it was still to heavy for my hair and the vinegar rinse didn’t always do that great.

If you have thick hair, I bet it’s ok. But my average hair just couldn’t handle it.

I will say my favorite thing that came out of my zero EWG score makeup/zero waste efforts have been my RMS beauty blush creams. I have 2 little pots that I’ve had used one daily (one’s fall and one’s summer color) for 3 years and they’re hardly half gone! They’re perfect for the no makeup look or can be heavier very easily.

Though I bet any blush cream will be similarly great.

1 Like

For the Canadians: Shoppers Drug Mart BeautyBoutique is trying pretty hard.

For $60 (about $45 USD) including tax I got a bunch of my staples at decent prices (eyeliner - I buy one about once a year, moisturizer, nose strips, shampoo), and reusable gel eye pads (the last $3 to get free shipping) and Shoppers gave me $21 worth of loyalty points (I have their PC Mastercard), three mini samples, and a “goody bag” with the below stuff. I kinda needed the eye shadow and will be glad to give the rest of the stuff a whirl (though I don’t really use any sort of mascara or concealer-type stuff if any local people can use the highlighter, brightener, or mascara - I can bring to our next meet up).

Anyway, I thought this was an impressive haul of bonuses (the loyalty points and freebies) for the amount spent on routine purchases.

4 Likes

Hi everyone, let me resurrect this thread real quick to say that, I think my new ELF $4 liquid concealer/highlighter is making me get tiny little bumps under the eye (not a pimple, but kind of like a pimple??) I hope it is something passing and unrelated, because otherwise the texture and feel of this concealer is divine and also $4 >
https://www.elfcosmetics.com/under-eye-concealer-and-highlighter/81503.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA4sjyBRC5ARIsAEHsELHVMtWKX2mIDGPXlC7lzA4_qTz9QUmaGdbppdXT41CV78JPW3OBe8waArTIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Siri, why does god allow suffering?

3 Likes