Affordable Makeup and Femmey Stuff

Ooo, I’ve never used mineral oil before! :slight_smile: will be trying.

I always wonder about this – how much is related to sexism, and how much is related to getting used to how someone looks? ETA: I know a lot is about sexism and it has a very real effect on women in the workplace and elsewhere – but I like pondering the edges of the line.

If your cis male counterpart normally wore concealer and eyeliner, and then didn’t one day, people would notice, surely. Whether they’d make the same comments – yeah probably not.

At least, my kid tells me he’s gotten those questions/comments when he’s gone from one to the other (subtle makeup vs not).

I like using makeup to make me feel more awake. I don’t get taken more or less seriously in my job either way - that’s just my niche in my industry; my work is evaluated more than anything about me as a person - but wow do some of my female coworkers make some nutty comments based on whether I’m wearing lip stain or mascara, heh.

As far as makeup brands, I’m fickle as to routine application, so I tend to stick to cheap drugstore brands that score well on the EWG website. Wet n Wild lip stain is my current go to.

1 Like

Some of it is definitely truth. Actually, weirdly the satirical show Corporate had a great bit on this awhile ago on (very funny) episode called Natural Beauty.

The episode tackled corporate double standards where men are congratulated for just like matching their socks to their tie whereas women need to shave the entirety of their body hair, put on makeup, have a flattering but not too sexy outfit, do their hair, or otherwise they don’t get rewarded in that environment. And the catch phrase was “I didn’t know you wear makeup, I thought you were just a natural beauty.”

One of the male characters started wearing makeup and when he stopped everyone was like “oh you look like crap”. Anyway, it was a very funny episode and probably speaks to this a bit.

I never wore makeup to work before last year unless it was a media day and we hired a makeup artist and everyone said I looked tired all the time. But also I was always sleep deprived, so, fair.

2 Likes

I think I’m due à few subversively high femme high makeup days

2 Likes

This foundation is really good for acne prone skin, isn’t too drying or dewy (good for combo skin) and also disguises large pores well.

I’ll message you with a link to my skincare spreadsheet if you want?

Also, I am SO HERE for this thread, and also for Nyx lipstick. Currently wearing Sleek’s Exxxagerate which is insanely pretty.

2 Likes

High Femme Subversive Make Up BFFs For Life.

2 Likes

Posting because I want to follow along and maybe learn some things! :slight_smile:
Only last year did I stop washing my face with hand soap, I had all my life. I also just began using lotion. Never had before.
I have been lucky to have very good and neutral skin my whole life, but I have also always worn makeup.
All of my makeup is from the dollar tree or is close to as cheap as DT, but I do think it would benefit me to learn how to wear it better.
I have a bit of a strange face situation, my mother is Hungarian so I take on some of her characteristics (very small almond-shaped eyes and slightly olive skin), but I do have my dads larger nose, and it’s also been broken twice :grimacing:.

It’s an interesting geography to paint.

3 Likes

@ThreeOfWands Yes skincare spreadsheet please!!!

@JanetJackson honestly… If by hand soap you mean a fairly natural bar soap, I have no objections to this. I oil cleanse or use mice-water (I refuse to call it by its right name, I just like mice on my face) to get makeup or stuff off, but bar soap for cleaning hands and faces and bodies is a good thing used in appropriate doses. I do this too!

Today I’m not at full femmey levels Dt being sick or allergic to life

1 Like

Does anybody have recommendations on a dry shampoo that can travel? (i.e. non-aerosol)?

2 Likes

@Elle I wish that was what I meant. Bar soap is what I have switched to. I have always just used whatever liquid hand soap (usually the pinkish red antibac soap) was on any given counter-top. Then I started making soap and ended up using my mistake cuts and noticed it was maybe a little nicer. Now I use an oil based bar soap and it’s been working great. I’ve never used a make up remover. Mice water sounds cuuuuute.

2 Likes

Spice shaker with cornstarch. Options to add in cocoa powder or baking soda or green tea powder.

Or lush sells one that is basically this (and that I use because it was a gift)

Oscar blahndi sells one and so do cake. Or they used to ten years ago

2 Likes

Interesting! I will give this a try tomorrow. Does the cocoa powder add anything or is it to help with color for us dark haired folks?

1 Like

It’s to help with colour! I still find that you need to work it in a little

2 Likes

apparently today is a beauty crisis day?

HALP! what is a frugal but safe way to make my blackheads go away? D:

1 Like

I am not a makeup person, never have been, but over the past 2 years I have been trying to pay more attention to my skin since I am getting closer to 30. I had really bad acne as a teenager, and now I am SO lucky to have clear skin as an adult. I have a fairly olive/tan complexion, so I do feel it hides a lot, but I started going to a dermatologist because my skin was just looking…rough. I spend a lot of time in the sun riding bikes, and I live at high altitude(7k feet) so it is super intense. Anyway, now I use a really nice zinc sunscreen for acne prone skin, and a good moisturizer that has improved the rough look I felt my skin had. Both of these are EltaMD brand, if anyone is curious…I have been really happy with these products and they seem pretty gentle to my normally sensitive skin.

What I am wondering is if anyone has a recommendation for something to help with acne scarring. I don’t know why, but lately my face is looking more scarred than it did earlier in my 20s. My lifestyle just does not work with wearing makeup, so I’m not really into wearing a concealer, but wondering if there is a good serum or something that has helped anyone with reducing scars?

2 Likes

Pure vitamin e oil is what surgeons will tell you to use on scars, but I’m not sure how effective it is when the scars are older. At the very least it is moisturizing, so maybe worth a try?

I highly, highly recommend the Reddit - Dive into anything channel for help with this. I use AHA/BHA (common for acne scarring) and Vitamin C liquid. It has done wonders, but both need some slow introduction and testing.

Here’s there whole write up on PIH (acne scarring): Reddit - Dive into anything

And of course SPF every single time I go outside since UV exposure only makes scarring deeper.

oh thank you so much for the links! I will have to do some reading. I honestly hate buying “special” products for myself, but yesterday I was looking in the mirror, and thought…man, I could do something for my skin. It’s not bad, and I’m lucky to be pretty tan which hides a lot…but I just thought, if my skin looks like this at 28, what am I in for in 20-30 years?

Yup yup yup. I absolutely was like “Why would I buy things for my skin that’s so vain and wasteful” but also I carry this skin around everywhere, and I only got this skin, and I bike outside with it in all weather and do lots of mean things to it, I could at least get it a few things to say thank you for everything it does. It’s been really nice once I found what I liked.

3 Likes