Random Questions

I agree with @Ckni27. I have a down comforter which wears a duvet and while I launder the duvet regularly, I just take the comforter outside about 3x a year and beat it with a broom while it hangs over a branch or a clothesline, etc and then I air it out for a full day in the sun away from any potential bugs. Has always worked great for me.

3 Likes

My yard has a lot of leaves and pine needles in it. Can I just make sure that there aren’t any sticks or rocks in the yard and then mow it all up with my push mower that collects the clippings in a bag? I don’t have a mulching blade and I don’t plan to buy one in the next few weeks.

Also is it okay to use a mixture of leaves and pine needles around the base of shrubs to help them through the winter, or would pine needles be too acidic? I think they’re white pines if that matters.

1 Like

Yes you can use a mower and acidity shouldn’t be too much of a problem. If you’re really worried about it, keep an eye on the shrubs next year and amend with a little lime if desired.

1 Like

I think the pine needles thing is a myth. There’s a very old pine tree on my property and the ground around it is not more acidic then the rest of my yard.

2 Likes

By the by, I’ve successfully used disposable razors as sweater shavers before. Not as quick as a sweater shaver, and possibly not as good an output, but it works to get things passable.

Maybe in the make up thread? Affordable Makeup and Femmey Stuff

I wear sunscreen every day and I use a mineral one on my face because my face doesn’t like the chemical ones anymore. Stings. :frowning: So I look for mineral, broad spectrum so it covers UVA and UVB, and a high SPF. I really like Australian Gold Botanicals because it meets all those requirements, goes on nicely, doesn’t smell and is tinted so I pretend it’s foundation. But it’s also not great if I do want more coverage and wear foundation. The foundation doesn’t go over it well. So I also use Make P:rem. It has everything I want and foundation goes over it well. It has a fragrance I don’t love (but it’s not a sunscreen-y scent, like tropical) and leaves a little bit of a white cast but it accepts foundation so sometimes that’s the right one. I’ve heard good thing about Elta MD but it’s too pricey for me so I haven’t tried it. For everywhere else on my body, I like Alba Botanica sunscreens.

1 Like

Eggs: if an egg is past its best before but smells and looks normal, is it safe to cook and eat?

1 Like

Maybe don’t use it in a raw or undercooked setting, but generally I’d risk it.

3 Likes

Float test. Put in glass of water, if it sinks totally fine. If it sinks but doesn’t rest on the bottom it’s okayish. If it floats its old enough that I wouldn’t risk it.

Edit: this is for eggs still in the shell.

8 Likes

Most eggs are good WAYYYYYYY beyond their “best by” date. I eat them weeks later all the time.

4 Likes

This is going to sound stupid… But how do I make myself not hate brushing my teeth? I just hate it and the foam gets everywhere and won’t stay in my mouth until I actually want to spit and ugh. And once in a while my body just decides that brushing my teeth is something that makes it gag.

I’m an adult so I brush my teeth but It’s often something I dread.

1 Like

Brushing my teeth makes me gag like crazy. The thing that works for me is walking around my house while I brush, which seems to pull my focus away from the gross mouth sensation.

4 Likes

Will a spray made of soap flakes kill beneficial bugs like lady bug larva as well as aphids and other sucking insects?
I guess I’m asking, does nature got this or do I need to intervene. image image image

1 Like

Not 100% sure but I believe soap sprays will kill any insect it touches.

1 Like

Have you tried a toothpaste that foams less? That helped me when pregnancy made me have extreme gagging while brushing. Less foam meant less sensation of stuff in my mouth.

3 Likes

How do I figure out what is a good brand of vitamins/supplements to buy? For example a blood test has shown that I’m a little low in vitamin D. I know there’s a ton of companies out there happy to take my money, but who actually has good quality products that aren’t loaded with garbage filler stuff?

2 Likes

LabDoor.com

I can share the brand I take, if interested. IIRC I arrived at it through a combo of that site and Amazon reviews.

4 Likes

Insecticidal soup or any kind of soap spray will kill any soft-bodied insect. Adult true bugs and beetles I am not sure. I believe the method of action is that it clogs the spiracles (how the insects breathe), thereby suffocating them (unless there is some extra insecticide added).

2 Likes

It is effective on Japanese beetles too.

Has to be a fat-based soap, not a detergent

2 Likes

As per your additional comment, if it is not a huge infestation of aphids, personally I would leave it. Soap will kill lady beetle larvae for sure, and they are the most voracious predator of aphids (and any soft bodied insect really). Also, if you kill all the aphids the remaining lady beetles will leave your yard (no prey) and you may get a rebound infestation of aphids from the ones that you may have missed.

(I use neem oil on really small plants that I think will die if I do nothing and they have a lot of aphids or white flies or the like. But once they are bigger I let nature take its course. I get some plants with heavier infestation but the aphids don’t kill the plants once they are larger. YMMV tho…)

2 Likes