Advice/recommendation for menstrual cup

I went swimming in mine for the first time this weekend (well not athletic swimming but I went in the water with my sis who was visiting). 5/5 :star2: would recommend.

4 Likes

In case someone finds this useful: if your cup has little vent holes that get clogged, a toothpick can scrub those out.

8 Likes

Good tip!

I’ve found they also get sparkly clean when I boil mine with a little peroxide. Which I probably wouldn’t do often except mine is clear and it gets discolored.

I’ve also discovered my body forgets the cup is in existence if I’m not having a heavy flow. My brain too. Whoops. 24 hours later…was just fine. Phew.

3 Likes

yea…I’ve done this a lot. The good news is that TSS has turned out to not really be a risk with silicone cups like it was with cotton tampons.

4 Likes

I was more worried about vines having overgrown the thing and needing a saw to remove it :crazy_face:

In seriousness though I’ve avoided most products linked to TSS risk for years so I definitely researched that before choosing a cup! Good to know your info agrees.

5 Likes

I’ve seen ads for these all over social media and they seem pretty standard. I have a diva cup personally and it provides the same function.

If you do buy one, it looks like Target online sells them in the $35 range rather than $47.

I typically recommend folks just buy one and try it out and buy another based on their experience with the first. I started with a mooncup and found the opening circumference to be too wide for my comfort, compared measurements, and have been pretty happy with my diva cup.

2 Likes

Friends, the timing is right to get a new period cup. I’ve used the soft cup last period, it still maxes out my space and I still think I’m shaped wrong for a diva cup or giant tampax cup.

Are lena and lilly my best bets? I do have a few soft cups left

5 Likes

I love my Lena. I have a small and it still holds more than a tampon. (I misplaced it once and had to resort to tampons, and kept getting leaks). Had it about 4 years and it’s in great shape.

2 Likes

I have a Lena sensitive and I like it. If you need a softer cup I’d recommend it. But because it’s soft, sometimes I have trouble getting it to pop open and I have to run my finger around the bottom to make sure that it’s fully open.

1 Like

Have you tried cutting off the stem and turning the Diva Cup inside out? That’s how I use mine. No idea why/how it works better that way, but it does.

1 Like

I…have not. I’d love the origin story of trying this.

Diva cup is too long for me anyway

1 Like

Unfortunately there is no entertaining origin story. I bought a Diva Cup, couldn’t get it to work, searched the google, followed some advice on the internet about trying it inside out and…voila! Now my Diva Cup works for me. I hope you find one that works for you too!!

1 Like

Lilly cup! The collapsible function made it possible for me to wear it comfortably. I usually had one level of collapsability engaged to make it fit right.

2 Likes

I’ve been using a menstrual cup for 3 years now!

I’ve been thinking of getting one with more capacity. I think it’s the right time, since I had mine on the bathroom counter to take downstairs for cleaning, and the cats stole it and now it’s nowhere to be found. I had the Lena Sensitive.

Have any of you started with a small and then switched to a bigger one? Is this a bad idea?

6 Likes

I did one of those online quizzes and it suggested the Lunette Model 2. I think I’m going to go for it! I think I need a firmer one (have frequent leaks) and a bigger one since my flow has become heavy ever since I stopped being on the pill. Will update on my experience!

3 Likes

Omg I’m scared for when you do find it, also it is funny to think of a cat running away with it.

5 Likes

I found it! It was under my desk, way back where I could barely reach. No visible damage. The kittens love to steal things!

4 Likes

I had the small Lena as my first cup and it was so good! Then I had a couple of kids and even the big one didn’t work for me anymore. I switched to the Juju (model 4), and it has been fantastic and I’m back to never having leaks.

4 Likes

I got through one period with this cup. It is definitely firmer than the Lena Sensitive and had no problems popping open. I think the chances of leakage are less with this one but it still happened once. I usually wear a backup pad or liner but got daring and luckily I was able to run to the bathroom in time.

The problem is that it’s bigger in diameter and kinda ridged at the top! It was a bit painful getting it out the first few times, but then I tried folding it when getting it out and that helped.

Overall would recommend! I think the Lena Sensitive was a great starter cup to get used to things (though maybe I didn’t need the sensitive, got annoyed at trying to get it popped open every time) but this is a good upgrade.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. My Lena is leaky and I need a replacement. Will consider this one.

2 Likes