22 in 2022 Challenge: Save $20,220

Wooh! Nice!

3 Likes

If I include principal payments on our mortgage or bonus, I’m already there.

I want to get there on our share purchases + own savings, so I need to save about $1k/month for the next 3 months which should be possible!

6 Likes

That’s so awesome, nice!

1 Like

Last year I was very good at updating this monthly, this year - apparently not.

October Update, just over 3/4 of the way through the year:

Mortgage Principal so far this year: $10139.42
Pension employee contribution: $8283.90
TFSA (2 adults): 10,000 ($2000 to go to hit this year’s limit)
RESP (2 children): $7150 (maxed out for the year, and kid 1 is now lifetime maxed out)
RDSP (1 of the children): $0 ($1000 limit for the year, but it rolls over)
Total: 35573.32

Total for the year so far: $35573.32

Goal for the year: $40400

Left to go: $4866.68 with two months left

I need to process paperwork for some of J1’s ASD funding to get reimbursed, which will probably fill up the last TFSA.

6 Likes

I forgot to update in September, so here’s my YTD because nothing will change in the next few days.

Pre tax income $45,783
Total saved $19,375

42.3%

I am having a good sales year at work, so I will definitely make it but it won’t be until the end of the year when I get my commission check.

5 Likes

Nov 30 Update:
Mortgage Principal so far this year $11,673.53
Pension Employee contribution: $9064.60
TFSA: (2 adults): $10,000
RESP (2 Children): $7150
RDSP (J1): $0

Total for the year so far: $37,888.13

Goal for the year: $40,400

Left to go: $2552

I still need to process that paperwork for J1’s ASD funding reimbursement.

6 Likes

Ha. So close!

I’m at $19,875.00 saved thru November. I’m obviously going to hit it, I’m not sure yet what my end of the year commission check will be.

6 Likes

I wont make my stretch goal, we ended up doing a heap of little upgrades around the house and some investment in my business. Good luck with December everyone who hasn’t made it yet!

6 Likes

Dang, i haven’t posted here since early August. And I don’t have any of his paystubs since the one for July. So, finishing up his first full-time semester this week and no recordkeeping has happened.

We’re definitely going over $20,220 per person, but damn I need to pull things together. Can’t ask him for paystubs until he’s home tonight, and I go in tomorrow, so maybe some catchup can happen late this week.

4 Likes

Yeah we passed the base goal but aren’t anywhere near the stretch goal ($22.2 each). Buying a car, tons of medical costs, so on.

3 Likes

Note to all: we are getting in the last, best amounts we can before we retire, and trying to get some retirement funds in his name while he has a full-time job (grant-funded for four years). You don’t have to do this to retire or even to FIRE. And we won’t do it for long (have reduced my Roth contribution effective December since we were consistently bringing home less than we spend in a month).

Okay, so catching up from… August. I finally have all the pay stubs.

Got a raise (!!) over the summer so withholding changed (pension is a percentage).

August-November
My withholding:
Pension $383.75/month
HSA $786.00/month
Roth 457 $1,800.00/month

His withholding:
Pension (yay for full-time work!) $304.50/month
Roth 457 $3,611.02/month (100% of his pay after taxes and other deductions)

Total per month: $6,885.27
Times three months: $20,655.81

Grand total Jan-Nov: (OMFG it’s more than I make, and I make more than I ever imagined): $60,635.31

11 Likes

WOW WOW WOW! That’s just amazing, especially considering the 457 is post tax!

1 Like

Yeah, may be sorry about that come tax time, but I think we’ll be better off for having the Roth accounts in retirement since we’ll have those pensions. And this year was a good one to do it with him only having four months of full-time income. We’ll decide whether it’s Roth or traditional next year based on how bad the taxes hurt. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Dec 19 Update:
Mortgage Principal so far this year $12,698.20
Pension Employee contribution: $9845.30
TFSA: (2 adults): $11,196.40
RESP (2 Children): $7150
RDSP (J1): $0

Total for the year so far: $40889.90

Goal for the year: $40,400

Done

I still need to process that paperwork for J1’s ASD funding reimbursement! I guess that will be a nice start for January? Even if I did the paperwork today, the reimbursement won’t arrive until next year.

This month is a 3 pay period month for me, which means that there will be one more mortgage payment and one more pension contribution, on Dec 30.

In addition to the above contributions, we have a HELOC which I don’t consider as part of this challenge. We normally pay $250/week on it to the principal, plus the interest on it monthly.

This year, we put a total of $38,150 on the principal, which means in addition to paying that $250/week, we put an extra $25,150 on it. That extra could have / would have gone to TFSA’s if it hadn’t gone onto the HELOC, and next year I may count any extra HELOC payments beyond the 250/week that is budgeted (our required payment is the interest, the 250/week is because we just mentally can’t do that, and the extra 25,000 is because variable rate and rising rates. The HELOC is how we bought our rentals, so I have a hard time counting payments on it towards this challenge when the rentals were the money taken off of it, but the household pays it. Also, who knows when my husband will decide that it’s time for another rental and use the HELOC again)

@anomalily challenge complete!

3 Likes

End of year update
Total $82,982.80 (AUD)

Shares: $31,350
Extra mortgage: $29,132.80
Extra Super: $22,500

It freaks me out a bit how much I can save.

10 Likes

I did it! Plus a bunch! :grinning: I had a great sales year so had a great income. I just never know what I will sell, so I am very grateful for the last few years that have been so good.

Pre tax income $71,530
Total saved $35,500

49.8% saved.

11 Likes

REMINDER Please Tag @anomalily when you hit any goals so we can get you your badge! And then fill in this form for your stickers

2 Likes

Hey Star! You already got the badge - Saving Squirrel!

2 Likes

End result: $49k including $15k mortgage principal (not extra, just what we would normally pay) and $15k bonus.
@anomalily

2 Likes

Lol I forgot I did this on hard mode.

We made it though:

• $20,500 in my 401k
  • $22,812 in his 403(b)
  • $5,577 in our HSA (because I get paid again tomorrow which will bring us to $5,800)
  • $21,500 in a brokerage account

$70,612 for us, not counting the mortgage

Matches:

• $1,500 for the HSA
  • Approximately $8,500 match for my 401k (they changed the website halfway through the year and now it’s impossible to tell what happened)
  • $11,561 match on Mr Darling’s retirement because his company match is wildly excellent

$21,874 from employer matches

@anomalily badge me please!

6 Likes