21 in 2021 Challenge: Save $21,000

19,600 added thus far in 2021 to the high interest savings account so that we reduce the likelihood we will need to pull out money during a large market correction once I am not bringing in a regular paycheck

5 Likes

I DID IT!

Numbers are thru November

Pre tax income $47,155
Total saved $21,327

45.3% saved, hopefully a fair bit more in December with a final commission check for the year.

14 Likes

Good on you!!

3 Likes

that’s a huge percentage on your salary. congrats!

2 Likes

Congratulations! That’s huge!

3 Likes

Congrats!! Make sure to fill in the form so I can mail you your sticker!

2 Likes

November is at its end, Now I have saved 19.600 Euros. I am more than confident that I will make the 21.000 goal as due to the covid situation in Europe my planned holiday (i was supposed to be in a Spa Hotel in Austria) is canceld and I will save that money. :roll_eyes:

In addition I was told I will receive an additional bonus in December. After a very successfull IPO in 2021 it is to be expected to be high in the 5-digits. Lets wait and see … :grinning:

11 Likes

Ugh I’m sorry your vacation was cancelled! I’m currently spending a lot more money because I have two trips planned to Europe in the next 4 weeks (Finland next week, Denmark at the end of December.) We’ll see if either really happen :woman_facepalming:t2:

6 Likes

Austria is in Lockdown until Dec. 21. I am pretty sure that we will have at least a partial lockdown also here in Germany soon. Cases are exploding and hospitals ICUs are filling up.
I do not know about the situation in Denmark and Finland but Ihope, that you can travel there as planned. Keep my fingers crossed. :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

Thats an amazing percentage of your income! Awesome work!!

1 Like

We Did It!

November Check In

Mortgage Principal: $1003.31
Pension: 758.69
TFSA: 3000

Total Savings in November 4762.00

Year to date savings $43252.86

Still no backpay or raise from the employer. They have 90 days, which actually takes us to the end of January

12 Likes

2021 YTD Update

YTD Pre-Tax Income All Sources (including employer 401K cont): $56,982.39

Total YTD Savings: $28,453.01

• Cash Savings: $9,427.35
  • Traditional 401K: $16,091.16
  • SEP IRA: $1,480.00
  • Employer Cont: $1,454.50

Pre Tax Percentage YTD: 49.93%

YTD Savings: $28,453.01 - 135.49% of the goal!

I didn’t save any cash (just 401K) this month because going to Finland is freaking expensive and I had to put money in the travel fund.

10 Likes

I have lost the challenge in spectacular fashion! First Ponder wanted a fancy laptop and then I went all out on getting shit sorted during the sales.

Based on my initial rules, we saved about $15,000.

If I count everything saved this year, including mortgage payoff, shares bought through work, bonus, etc, we got more than $42,000. So that’s about how much extra we’ve got for our renovation next year. Yay! I enjoyed the challenge, it definitely helped me think about my purchases and helped me use sales effectively for stuff I would have bought anyway, instead of procrastinating during sales or buying impulsively when there was benefit to waiting.

10 Likes

Heyyy, I made it! A lot of it was due to my EOY bonus but it’s based on profit sharing, so I like to think I’ve been earning it all year long :sunglasses:

12 Likes

YESSESSS! Congrats! Make sure you submit for your sticker!

4 Likes

Let’s see how I did!

IRA: 1,374.00
Treasury direct bonds: 2,578.89
401k: $3624.24 if I can’t.
Various other savings buckets: 15,174.42

GRAND TOTAL: $22,751.55

Now, granted, some of that’s going poof for moving expenses, but I am still pretty pleased with this total. For context, I gross in the high $60s and my business grossed about $2k this year.

7 Likes

So yes, did it without the extra bonus for 2020. I am at 21.350 Euro :grinning:
The extra Bonus is ca. 12.000 Euro net, will be partly used for redecorating the kitchen but I budgeted for that anyway. (I budgeted 10K but it looks like it will be around 8-9k-isch)

11 Likes

I got my commission check today, so I am going to do my year-end numbers a little early. Mostly just because I want to see them! :grinning:

Pre tax income $67,920 (whoa)
Total saved $33,452 (whoa again lol)

This is the most money I have ever made, and a number I never expected to see to be honest. I am generally in the $40-45k range, so this is a little shocking.

49.3% saved for the year. I am super excited, because with working on commission I never know what I might make.

17 Likes

Awesome job :astonished::exploding_head:

2 Likes

:tada::tada::tada:

1 Like