2023 BINGO: A choose-your-own-goals challenge

2023 BINGO Will run through all of 2023

Prizes will be linked here. CALL FOR VOLUNTEER: CAN ANYONE MANAGE THE PRIZE BOARD BECAUSE I UTTERLY FAILED AT THAT LAST YEAR.

The theme of BINGO is to fill out a bingo card filled with goals you write yourself.

When a row, column, or diagonal is completed, “shout” (type expressively) BINGO, and if you want, claim a prize by @-ing the person providing it. (Prizes will be put in a later post, a link will be provided)

Making Your Card

Keep in mind a standard bingo card:

Which typically has 25 spaces, with one of those being a free space.

Create a BINGO card with up to 24 goals. Or 25, because some people like to live life on the edge without a free space, or like square numbers… You do you. I’m not the boss of you. This card can be digital or physical.

TOOLS

There are tools online where you can fill in a bingo card and have it randomize for you. I’ve been looking at this one, which allows you to randomize just column-by-column if you want. So you can have a column be a category of goals.

RULES

rules

• One card per person.
  • You may claim a prize for each BINGO.
  • You may delay your BINGO prize claims.
  • Goals on the board must be completed after January 1st 2023 and before January 1st 2024.
  • You don’t have to have all your goals selected before the start of the year, but try to have them all picked around 2 months after the start of the challenge.
  • You may re-do your board once during the year if you want.
  • If something happens outside your control that makes it impossible/bad to complete a goal, change it. No restrictions, no hard feelings. Just don’t run a marathon with a broken foot because of this challenge, okay?
  • You can join at any time during the year!
  • Please do not critique the goals of others and offer advice only if solicited.

Goal-Making Guidelines

• Goals don’t all have to be huge. Be kind to yourself. Have fun. Put “pick my nose” and “pet the cat” in there with “get a new job” and “buy a house” if you want.
  • Consider that some goals like “don’t do x all year” or “do x every week for the whole year” can’t be officially finished until the end of the year. These aren’t prohibited, just keep in mind it could make getting BINGO before Dec. 31st harder.

Here’s all the 23 in 2023 Challenges (added by LK)

8 Likes

Call for prizes: if anyone is willing to offer up prizes, please say so!

Things up for grabs:
A tarot card reading, typed out and sent to your email or DMs. Be aware that I take my sweet time on these. @Greyweld

A doodle representing your bingo. @Greyweld

A short song/jingle about your bingo. @Greyweld

A small painting of one of your pets or your favorite flower. US only for shipping purposes. … I also take my sweet time on these. @Greyweld

A 500 word ficlet by @maggie_in_da_woods

Your prompt but no hard smut. I’m best at writing comfort type prompts, but I’m open to other stuff!

Fandom options (I’ll expand these if I get into any new ones over the year): Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock), Good Omens, Supernatural, Our Flag Means Death, and some Marvel pairings (ask me). I’ve also written a lot for some lesser known fandoms, in case y’all have the same obsessions: Old Guard, Starless Sea, or Raven Boys.

I can’t promise perfect prose, but I can promise well-edited grammar and fluffy sweetness (romantic or platonic).

An amateur colored pencil pet portrait @Cannibalsox

Crochet/knit hat or scarf @shadowmoss 2 avail

4 Likes

Marking so I don’t lose this, will think about boards and any prizes I could offer in the future.

5 Likes

500 word ficlet again if anyone wants it? Same guidelines as 2022:

Summary

Your prompt but no hard smut. I’m best at writing comfort type prompts, but I’m open to other stuff!

Fandom options (I’ll expand these if I get into any new ones over the year): Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock), Good Omens, Supernatural, Our Flag Means Death, and some Marvel pairings (ask me). I’ve also written a lot for some lesser known fandoms, in case y’all have the same obsessions: Old Guard, Starless Sea, or Raven Boys.

I can’t promise perfect prose, but I can promise well-edited grammar and fluffy sweetness (romantic or platonic).

5 Likes

Working on what items I’m putting on my board, and will think about what I may be able to offer as a prize!

4 Likes

I was thinking about not doing bingo this year but I keep closing this tab and then it appears again. I think my phone wants me to do bingo.

6 Likes

I was hesitant to do it again next year as well, but it did keep me on track this year, so I’m going to try a more condensed version. Here is my 2023 Bingo card…

8 Likes

Gonna take me a bit to get a visual board together, but here is my starter list!

1. Do a freestanding handstand for more than 5 seconds.
  2. Buy a house and move.
  3. Reach $10k in personal emergency fund.
  4. Run at least 1 ultramarathon (doesn’t have to be an official race)
  5. Participate in Batizado
  6. Finish Duolingo Portuguese course
  7. Read (can be audiobook) a novel in Portuguese
  8. Write to a political prisoner
  9. Give up at least some of the social media duties for mutual aid group.
  10. Build or buy basement shelves and organize mutual aid group supplies on them.
  11. Complete the online movement course I purchased.
  12. Go to at least 3 talks or events (ie a book release).
  13. Have ppl over for meals or games at least 6 times.
  14. Get a stained glass window hanging
  15. See friends K&D in person
  16. See friends C&C in person
  17. See friend E in person
  18. Run a PCS race
  19. Set up a compost system or subscribe to a pickup service again.
  20. Get a fire pit and have ppl over to use it.
  21. Get a vertical bike rack to store bikes inside
  22. Start learning ASL
  23. Make kombucha (& get a big jar with a spout on the bottom!!!)
  24. Acquire at least 6 new CDs for the car (and a bigger CD holder!!)

Ok, drew up a board. Attaching pic here near the typed list as I truncated the description of some goals.

8 Likes

I’m in… it will take me some time to come up with my list.

Leftover 2022’s list:

Plan and plant garden X We actually ate some real food from the garden in 2023
Food & waste tracking.
Move bed downstairs
Move couch upstairs
Start YouTube channel

New goals:
Find a job or other income
Finish purging excess stuff

Make book boxes, fairies, and angels – work on the techniques until you can sell them. Gave up on this idea

It occurred to me that I’d started a list in my organizer…

Make buntings
Finish chair seats
Clean up attic & set up storage
Stain, caulk, and seal downstairs floor.
Make kitchen curtains
Diagramming sentences/grammar.
Finish painting the downstairs walls.
Touch up paint that has been done, as needed.
Caulk the uncaulked baseboards and paint them.

Most of these, I’ve got the resources to do them already. The exception is the materials to do the downstairs floor.

Money goals:
Save $2300.
Finish paying off the equity loan. XDone
Make $ every month at the antique shop, that is rent plus… x x x x
✓Talk to Social Security. Find out exactly what I am eligible for, or if Im not (a possibility). Done

Need 3 more…
Do the next steps in the house clean up:
Set up the couch table and tub !/2 donechairs next to the front window.
✓Get the rug upstairs into the attic, if not spread out. (Easter day in the attic, but not spread out)
Clear off the counter in my office so I can use it. In process

6 Likes

I am making a list of goals. I have an idea of something to offer as a prize as well. I’ll take a couple of days to noodle on it.

2 Likes

Okay, kicking this around and I’ve got a tentative card…

Not much money stuff for a financial forum, but most of what I need to do is house stuff anyway. And I can offer a temari if anyone’s interested in that as a prize.

8 Likes

Bingo board

Obviously if this pregnancy doesn’t work out, I’ll be changing a couple goals.

7 Likes

Oh, for a prize I’ll offer an (amateur!) colored pencil pet portrait. Would love to draw at least a bit more, so this could be a win for both me and someone else :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was building my board and we had a power outage for a few hours. Third one in 3 weeks…

This thread is helping me to organize my list of things I need to do. duh. I’m up to 13 goals for the year so far.

I just finished knitting a Surprise Scarf, from an Elizabeth Zimmerman book. It was a project to get comfortable with the stitches in the Surprise Baby Jacket. None of this makes sense if you aren’t a knitter, but I offer either a beanie hat (crochet or knit) or a Surprise Scarf. If needed, I can make both and have 2 prizes. I have lots of yarn, so can probably accommodate basic color preferences. Both are fairly quick projects and will help l me with my yarn hoard.

3 Likes

Here’s my Bingo Card! The topics are:

B: Books
I: Health
N: Other
G: Social
O: Financial

Wish me luck!

11 Likes

Here’s my card, I did some themes of money/ food/ hobbies/ in-person things but mixed up the columns.

Summary

6 Likes

8 Likes

I am up to 14 goals in my list. I’m realizing that the majority of my goals are travel related, mostly going to attractions I’ve spent years (decades?) saying that I’ll hit that place up ‘someday’. I’m 68 and retired. Someday has arrived. Majority of my card will read like a ‘roadside attractions’ book.

6 Likes

I love looking at these – such good ideas on them!

1 Like