2021 BINGO - A choose-your-own-goals challenge

First pass at a 2021 card…a few things carried over from 2020, a few things reused, and some new stuff.

6 Likes

Draft list of goals:

One-off projects:

• Build a worm bin
  • Finish the rose window afghan (holdover from 2020)
  • Spin at least once
  • Make ice cream
  • Get our art on the walls
  • Knit 5 charity hats from stash yarn
  • Fix the nightstand situation
  • Update LinkedIn
  • Set up a will OR hit-by-a-bus folder
  • Make fresh pasta
  • Write up Pathfinder spider lore

Long-term projects:

• Track spending and stay on top of it
  • Finish candidate year books for AODA
  • Read 52 books
  • Read 15 books owned before 2021
  • 50% strength rate for the year
  • Meditate or do SoP 100 times
  • Cardio maintenance
  • 50 hours of language practice
  • Listen to music at least 1 hour/month
  • Do literally anything at all with the garden
  • Fill out family tree to emigration points
  • Send 25 letters
  • Figure out some variant on a nature-tracking habit

I think I really ought to balance these out better with long-term and one-off projects – especially because some of my one-off projects aren’t exactly simple (e.g. the nightstand situation is likely going to involve building two nighstands, updating LinkedIn is gonna be an emotional nightmare but needs to be done, etc).

Candidates that could be used as replacements, many of which come from my 101 in 1001 list:

• Watch a cool astronomical event (meteor shower, conjunction, etc)
  • Get all books onto appropriate shelf spots (involves getting rid of books, which is hard for me)
  • Get house down payment fund to $3000 (almost trivially easy, just a different place to allocate $)
  • Use up 3 pillar candles
  • Spend an evening using only candles, no electricity
  • Watch the sun rise over the ocean
  • Make a blanket fort (house is small so this is not feasible at all times)
8 Likes

My attempt for this year:

B I N G O
Weekly meal plan Caffeine free Go for 6 hikes Save 10K Walk 3X/week
Finish and submit manuscript Finish prep for new BIO class Reduce screen time to <2 hours Exercise bike 3X/week Normal cholesterol
Sew 12 things Make cleaning schedule Survive 1 year of parenthood Babyproof upstairs Make all CfB and KEiC recipes
Get COVID vaccine Read 6 fun books Declutter house Go to 3 beaches PT exercises at home
Go for 6 bike rides Print photos for walls Baby book year 1 Refresh work wardrobe Make bed every morning

Some of these are intended to build a long term habit, but over in my journal, I have the time frame under which completing them counts as fulfilling the goal (eg. do for 4 weeks/2 months/by March).

8 Likes

First iteration of bingo card:

Some carried over, some new, what will 2021 bring?!

I’m trying to think if I can offer any prizes, I have zero artistic ability and don’t have hobbies that can transfer to prizes… will keep noodling on this.

8 Likes

@diapasoun --forgot to say I can offer a temari if anyone is interested in that as a prize

3 Likes

Working on my goals. Anyone have any idea on how to turn “improve posture” into a better goal?

2 Likes

Are there specific exercises you can do? One of mine is to rehabilitate my general strength (especially core) after pregnancy and the metric is to do my postpartum PT exercises a certain number of times per week.

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s the kind of posture thing you’re looking for, but I’ve got a vest to help me hold better posture sitting in front of the computer (it doesn’t actually do any holding, but I can feel pressure if I start to slump). One of the things they recommend is building up time using it so rather than 3-4 hours at the start it’s 15 minutes and then adding 15 minute increments. You could try something like that if you’ve got a system for telling when posture is failing.

3 Likes

@frogger yeah maybe I can make it a workout based thing! That’s harder to bingo though because I gotta wait til end of year. Hm.

@kenner I’ve seen those doodads! Sounds like you like it? I had a bluetooth thing that chimed when I slouched. Then I lost it :sob:

I’m wondering if I go to chiropractor and get a posture assessment after 6 months… Since they have that cool software. Even tho chiros scare me.

I guess I could just take a picture of myself and a video of my stride to see if it changes?

2 Likes

First Draft of the 2021 Bingo, 2 spaces are still empty.
I am thinking about labelling them for April an August to decide on additional goals.

5 Likes

What is the “journal 12” program?

I guess I’m looking for a few more goals since I thought I had come up with 25, randomized them, and found I only have 21…

ETA: I came up with 2 more so I really need another 1! I wish there was a way to view how many perfect days you’ve had in a row on Habitica.

2 Likes

this is a German journal, it comes for the first time with an additional audio course, it is about mindfulness. Duration is 12 weeks.
Here the Main information:

“JOURNAL 12 Audio Training
Welcome and good to have you here! :wave:
Here you will find the AUDIO PART of your JOURNAL12.
As a reminder, JOURNAL12 is your twelve week training program for a clear and calm mind. It consists of a workbook and guided audio training. It will help you to consciously influence what is happening in your mind. Because no matter what is going on outside, you always have influence on the inside.
Above under “Modules” you will find the audio training. Just start at the check-in. From there you will find your way.
THANK YOU for being there and actively engaging with your inner life! Why THANK YOU? Because change on the outside can only come through change on the inside. And for this you are taking your time now. Have fun with it! :green_heart:

I was gifted this course by a good friend, I am looking forward for more focus and everything what might coming out of this.
Unfortunately this is only available in German.

3 Likes

Thank you! Sounds really interesting. I hope you get a lot out of it. :slightly_smiling_face:

And I figured out where the miscounting came from. Somehow my set of 4 different reading goals for the year fell off the list that got randomized. :woman_facepalming:t2: So now I’m pruning…

4 Likes

ohhH another thing to sign up for and not follow through on! :joy:

10 Likes

I jinxed us all last year by having a “give more hugs” goal. I should probably sit this one out. :laughing:

16 Likes

I would love some suggestions for easier things I can add to my board. I have like 17, but they all feel big!

6 Likes

I would like to offer a reward: I will write you a short poem in iambic pentameter.

3 Likes

Not sure ‘liked’ is the right word, but it seems to be helping with some ongoing back/shoulder issues so I stick with it :smiley:

6 Likes

I’m in, but I still need to fill a couple out. Not posting as a bingo card since I couldn’t figure out doing it easily and I just lack the spoons right now.

Make a Baby, or Back to the RE
Read 25 books
Take Latte camping
Dial in skin care
Airdyn Month (3xwk/1m)
Wheel of the year journal
Get happy with the house
Monthly hikes (average)
Covid vaccine
$500,000k NW
Year 3 no drinking
Daily walks (weekdays)
Blank
Year 2 Latte Book
100 new foods for Latte (350 total)
Save 25% of income
Do anything with the garden
One week meal planning
TBD
Latte play in snow
4 coast trips for Latte
2x weekly PT or strength
TBD
Call Grandma 3x
LilPup IG- keep going

Eta: ah! One TBD will be category track my groceries for one month. Roll one of the forum challenges in, lol.

5 Likes

Here are a few quick, one-off activities:

• Call a friend/family member
  • Write a letter
  • Watch a movie you’ve been wanting to watch
  • Try a new restaurant or recipe
  • Read your favorite book from childhood
  • Walk/bike/drive down a street you’ve never been down
  • Look out the window for 5 minutes
  • Play dress up
4 Likes