$20 2020 challenge

I sent off $216.37 today! It covers this challenge for quite a while, which is good because the next few months are going to be completely insane. My March trip was cancelled (stupid coronavirus), but I’m not getting a refund for the airfare, so the March budget is still a mess. At least I’ll be working through what was supposed to be my vacation?

2 Likes

Congratulations!
I’m on EI now for Mat leave…416/week, with rent being over 1k. For now I have my 25 a month going to my rrsp locked in, and 25 to my savings.

I did a $250 charitable donation in February, so charity is covered until October

1 Like

Guyz…we in this category are the most at risk. So, um. Hopefully the $40 we all saved in January and February can hold up for the rest of the year? I’m on mat leave so I could still save my $25… but as long as you report in, you’re still in the running for cool prizes at the end of 2020.

4 Likes

I’ve technically already contributed more than the $240 goal for the year, but until the world turned upside down, I was planning to skip March, May, and June and then try to keep investing at least $20/month for the rest of the year.

Instead, all of my vacations have been cancelled, I’ve switched from doing Uber rides to Uber delivery, and lost about 75% of my earnings. I’m hanging on to every dime right now, so…no investment this month.

3 Likes

See how smart you were, saving ahead?

3 Likes

This is still a thing
I did my personal savings AND set up the RESP.
Are we all still surviving, whether we made it work financially or not?

Does anyone new want to join?

4 Likes

I thought I had posted in this thread before but I guess not? I think I had posted in the 20% thread, because I’m definitely “saving” at least that much given that debt contributions count. But my alternate/additional goal was to really save at least $20 per week to my emergency fund and $20 per week to my Roth IRA.

For the Efund I just have a weekly automatic transaction set up. I also stashed $1000 of my stimulus check in there, but I’m still planning to keep the $20 per week going, maybe slowly increase the amount as time goes on.

For the Roth I tend to make one or two monthly transactions. Here are my monthly contributions so far:

January: $100
February: $150
March $100
April: $100

For May I’ll likely just put $80 in the Roth, as I’m really trying to focus on building my Efund.

4 Likes

Just like the text messages I answer in my head and don’t send. Read our minds plz people, okay?

Yay 20 per week plus debt payoff!!

2 Likes

Same same, no investment for April. I’ve hung on another month with a roof over my head, so there’s that.

2 Likes

The roof the roof the roof not on fore!

1 Like

By the end of 2020, I’ll either be contributing to investments again because my income has returned, or because I’ve had to move in with my parents. I’m not sure which one it’s going to be yet.

My net income for May was -$895.35. No money sent to investments, obviously.

3 Likes

:robot:

And you’re still here trying!

I got bonus covid $$ so I’m invested for the month. I’m terrified of next year

2 Likes

I’m still putting $20 in my efund each week: it’s automated!

For June I had planned to reduce my Roth contribution to $50, but almost immediately reallocated that money for donations.

6 Likes

I’m late reporting, but (if I get around to it) I think I’ll send $20 to Vanguard for June, because at this moment I can. I’m in the middle of a bunch of weird upheaval (family, financial, situational, legal, emotional, mental health) that I’m trying not to whinge about on here because I feel like I complain way too much. So next month is…I dunno. We’ll see.

4 Likes

Yay june $20!!@ yay being afloat.

1 Like

everyone is still alive? Did their July?

4 Likes

I have barely been on the forums, but I am alive and still have $20 per week on automated savings. July was a 3-paycheck month so I added $50 to this savings account. I’m still focusing more on paying off debt and building my efund and various sinking funds, so I think I put just $50 in my Roth again in July. This month my Roth contribution will entirely depend on how likely it turns out I’ll get another stimulus check, as it’s a tight month financially otherwise.

8 Likes

Still alive. I did July, and August, but was in the negative for both, so haven’t made any investments. I expect the rest of the year to be the same, so my efforts toward the challenge are probably over for 2020, but I did technically manage to exceed $20 X 12 early on in the year before everything went pear-shaped.

7 Likes

Yayyyyy you’re alive! That counts for $40 at least :wink:

4 Likes

Yayyyy alive. Me too. I did my minimums and not extra

2 Likes