YNAB

Ooooh. I’ll investigate.

1 Like

I was also This-Thread-Old when I realised I could use emoji in my categories and now YNAB is even more wonderful than before :green_heart:

1 Like

I also wanted to say, on a more serious note, that I had two failed starts with YNAB and the whole thing didn’t really click for me at all. Yesterday I took part in two of the free online workshops and it helped me SO much. I’m always suspicious that a webinar is pre-recorded and there’s no-one at the other end, but I asked questions and got answers so can confirm they’re legit!

As someone whose relationship with money has been screwed for a long time, it’s really helping me to see things differently. Would recommend. :100:

4 Likes

I’m grandfathered into the $50 annual price, so it’s a little easier to make the case for me. I love spreadsheets also and I was always too cheap to do YNAB, but I’ve been hooked for a couple years.

Things that make it worth it to me:

1. I have a high interest account that I have to use the debit card 10x to get the bonus rate. Seeing it in YNAB makes it easier for me to hit that. Previously I would miss it at least once a year, maybe more. So that $60 in interest really pays for it. I know I should have just been more organized before, but it would just get away from me once in a while.

2. If you combine income and accounts with your partner, this makes life SO much easier. I was “in charge” of the money, and he is not much of a spender. It wasn’t horrible before. But now we are both on the same page. We both know what we have, what we’ve allocated to different things. Not being the only one in charge of the money has lifted a burden from me.

3. When you make a credit card charge it takes the money out of the account. We always paid our CC bill in full. But sometimes the end of the month would come and I would be surprised at what we had spent. Now we always know day by day.

4. To get around the CC bill shock, I tried cash envelopes. They have downsides, like: losing cash, less flexibility, and no earning points. Now I charge everything but still get the same kind of accountability as cash.

I held off for years because I was too cheap to pay. That’s the downside of the YNAB business model, I think. The people who would like it don’t want to pay. The people who need it can’t spare the cash.

1 Like

In case this applies to anyone, YNAB is free if you are in education/are a student. Their workshops are also all free and have been super helpful to me (I am becoming more and more evangelical about YNAB as time goes by.)

3 Likes

It looks like it’s more of an extended trial, where you get one year for free plus a 10% discount on the annual plan after that.