What do you cook in your instant pot?

Hmm. That’s a thought. I could use the floor after the wiggler goes to bed–the cord isn’t long enough to reach the outlets from a chair, but there’s a low outlet on the opposite wall.

…still seems easier to just have D help if needed, though :smile:

1 Like

Haha, yes, definitely depends on what you have available to you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m going to buy an instant pot! Only a year after I originally asked this question :laughing:

New question: do you use any accessories with your instant pot? Are any accessories must-haves, or will I be happy enough with just the basic pot?

6 Likes

For the most part I’ve been fine with the trivet that comes with, but I do have a metal strainer from a different pot that fits perfectly inside - I use it a lot because it’s easier to clean than the trivet with chicken, and also for separating layers of things I’m cooking from either the water or each other. I also used to use a separate lid (also from an existing pot) for yoghurt making but now I just use the IP lid without the silicone gasket (to prevent off flavours). I’m not sure I’d have specifically bought additional pieces - I prefer doing eggs on the trivet alone and that would have been my main reason for an insert.

There are more and more non-dairy yoghurt recipes popping up online for the IP, I’ve noticed.

2 Likes

I have a silicone lid for mine, which I use a lot for storing leftovers in the fridge for the next day.

2 Likes

I don’t have any accessories, but I mostly use the Instant Pot to make plain beans, plain rice, etc…components of meals I will cook together later. I think it would be really nice to have a glass lid to put on the pot, so I could store it in the fridge. Right now I just take things right out and store food in other containers.

1 Like

I use a steamer like this: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3512315/food-network-pressure-cooker-mesh-steamer-basket.jsp?skuid=79534325&ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=FOOD%20PREP&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=79534325&CID=shopping15&utm_campaignid=9733267189&pid=googleadwords_int&af_channel=CSE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqtmom6Gd6gIVlB-tBh25jwjNEAQYDyABEgL6kvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is also what we use for just a colander in our kitchen and we have two because we use them so much. This is great for cooking tamales or other things you’ll steam and remove, but the most common way I use it is to make stock. I put all the veggies in it, add the water, make the stock and then remove the basket and take stuff straight to the compost.

I’d like to start dipping my toes into pot in pot stuff but haven’t yet and can’t make any recommendations there as a result.

2 Likes

Oh I’ve done that for stock too! So much easier!

1 Like

I have a second cooking pot and it’s great. I make a main dish then switch the pots and make rice to go with it.

1 Like

you mean just the inside pot insert right?

1 Like

Yes.

2 Likes

I understand this. I have 2 bowls for my stand mixer.

4 Likes

That’s genius.

1 Like

My first instant pot broke down pretty quickly. I called the manufacturer and they told me to throw it out and they mailed me a new one. I threw out the machine, but the interior pot and trivet thing were clearly not garbage. The double setup sparks hella joy.

8 Likes

I have loved my instapot since I got it and I use it multiple times per week. A coworker convinced me that the ninja foodi is better because it does everything the instapot does, plus it does the airfrying / dehydrating stuff. After 8 months of discussing it we bit the bullet this month and bought one and OMG. So far it makes hard boiled eggs and rice just like the instapot, but it also makes the best crispy Brussels sprouts I’ve ever had (on the air fry setting). Plus it is so much quieter than the instapot. I’m definitely a convert now.

3 Likes

I will bear this in mind when my instant pot dies. That sounds awesome.

2 Likes

No idea about the ninja foodi, but the insta pot has an air fryer lid option.

3 Likes

What??? Googling now.

Boooooo only available for 6 qt.

2 Likes

Oh ohhhhhh

1 Like

I recommend a strainer/colander that fits inside for steaming things that fall through the trivet, eg thai sticky rice. A metal bowl/pan for pot in pot (I do this to include black rice in mixed grains, or it colors everything).

I have egg bite molds and a springform pan, but never used either.

2 Likes