What do you cook in your instant pot?

It’s sort of halfway between the standard recipe and the peas and asparagus version. I didn’t want to go out and buy leeks and saffron :sweat_smile:It tastes great though!

@AllHat It seems like risotto to me! Maybe a bit less creamy than if I’d done it on the stove.

1 Like

That’s impressive!

1 Like

Quick note on why meat in a slow cooker is gross. It overcooks. That is all.

A better explanation is: lean cuts like chicken breast get stringy over 155°F. Fortunately, 155 is plenty to kill all dangerous bacteria if held at that temp for a few minutes. Fatty cuts like thighs or beef chuck can handle higher temps for longer, but even then they will eventually dry out. The drying is a combination of actual moisture loss and the complete loss of collagen. Real all-day cooking is never a good idea if there’s water involved. It just gets too hot for too long.

Also, it isn’t really the fat the keeps things moist, it’s the connective tissue and collagen. Without those, you’ll dry out fast (think how chalky a fillet mignon is if cooked above medium rare vs brisket). Time @ temp is the deciding factor.

Ok, hopefully that wasn’t too irritating. I’m kind of obsessed with food.

5 Likes

This is why I still make pork shoulder in a low oven for a bazillion hours mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

1 Like

I use mine mostly for rice/grains, particularly brown and red rice. Love love love how it comes out. We’ve mixed in barley and farro. I have also done chicken broth, pulled meats (pork, chicken), ribs, and mashed potatoes. We may have done beets or spaghetti squash, or just considered it.

I find it big and clunky so I have no desire to do everything in it. Never tried tender veg like asparagus, green beans, broccoli. Never did pasta. I don’t typically like the texture of stewed or braised meat, which includes most crockpot meals (e.g. pot roast), so I haven’t made meat I wasn’t planning to shred.

Made beans once and they tasted awful. For the time being, not trying again. I don’t eat that many, and I like canned, and they’re still pretty cheap.

2 Likes

Today I made broth with vegetable scraps and seitan. Broth was okaay not amazing but okay, and it’s all free ingredients plus a few spices, so no big deal. Seitan is also okaay, put in too much water since I forgot about minimum water levels in a pressure cooker. But it’s edible and fast to make, and I can jack up the spices next time.

I used this as a basic guide for seitan ratios. The broth I did high for 35 minutes and slow pressure release.

3 Likes

When I make stock in the instant cooker, vegetarian or otherwise, I use bouillon instead of salt to add richness.

2 Likes

I find this really confusing because it’s like…adding the powdered version of a thing to the thing made from scratch? Like sweetening lemonade with crystal lite? :thinking:

It’s great if it works for you! I’m just confused.

3 Likes

In classical french cooking, broths were cooked down until they made a glace or demi-glace, then either turned into a sauce or more broth was added. Bouillon is sort of like the glace pre-made in a jar.

Unless it’s that cubed stuff, which I haven’t done much with but I assume isn’t overly different. I always use the super thick sauce looking stuff.

2 Likes

Bouillon is the French word for broth (“liquid something has been boiled in”) in the US it seems to mean bouillon concentrates (whether powdered/cubes or “better than bouillon” which you are describing). That’s all fine.

It’s just when I go through the trouble of making broth from scratch I don’t usually want to add the store-bought concentrate I keep for shortcut meals, you know? That’s where my confusion is.

1 Like

For a more productive contribution… These were delicious. :yum:

1 Like

My roommate brought home chicken on the verge of going bad. It’s in the freezer. I am looking forward to throwing it still frozen in the pressure cooker, eating the chicken, and then making chicken stock. Especially since I’m not buying much meat these days, this is a way of still getting it without feeling guilty. Each thigh is packaged in plastic, too. Eesh.

2 Likes

It just concentrates the flavor.

1 Like

I got even more free meat today. 10-ish pounds of beef bones for stock. I threw as much as I could into the pressure cooker, and it hasn’t released pressure yet but it smells sooooo good. I didn’t even do the prep step of roasting the bones, due to time constraints, and I forgot to add carrots, celery, and garlic. If this turns out well, I won’t bother with it for the rest of the bones either.

There’s around 5 more pounds of bones waiting for me in a neighbor’s freezer once I use these up.

Recipe I intended to use.

ETA: It smelled better than it tastes. It feels greasy. Maybe after it cools, fat will rise to surface that I can skim?

1 Like

Put it in the fridge. The fat will solidify and you can lift it off. The “sweaty” taste is one of the reasons I add bouillon.

2 Likes

I went with the dumb strategy of falling asleep on the couch and leaving it out on the counter. At least it was cooled down and the fat is now liftable! It’s so much liquid, I think I need to boil it down for a couple hours. Uggghhh so much work for something I don’t even like that much. Never again! I’ll try to pawn some off on the person who gave me the bones, she wanted to try the broth.

ETA: I got a pot of liquid down to 2/3 of a small mason jar. Yay. Threw some ice cubes in to quickly solidify and pull out the remaining fat. @flan helped walk me through my kitchen questions. I’m not using a PC for my corn stock, since I need to reduce on the stove anyway. Fewer dishes please thank you.

3 Likes

I’d like to try cooking beans and grain together in the Instant Pot at the same time. How do you figure out the amount of water? Add the amount you need for the beans plus the amount you need for the grains? I think the cooking time is pretty similar, so that should be easy…

1 Like

Lots and lots of water, and drain it after when there is water left over. Easier than actual calculations and measurements. :wink:

2 Likes

Your suggestion has merit. It might be heavy, but I have a husband for lifting heavy things. (I’m sure it will weigh less than the wiggler, but the top of my Instant Pot is at my shoulder height when it’s on the counter.)

2 Likes

If you do this, is there a lower-down place you could put the IP? On a chair or bench maybe? Or are there worries about the wiggler-proof-ness of the IP?

1 Like