Watch Out for the Big Grrls

Episode 8

Jayla is cracking me the hell up! I love how she takes criticism, they’re like asking her what she did wrong and she’s like: here’s a full list, lmao. I wonder if Lizzo has considered just making her a hype girl/tumbler and not a dancer? She’s good with a crowd when she isn’t doing choreography on top of it.

I am so mad at the video person, lol. I WANT TO SEE THE WHOLE STAGE SO I CAN ACTUALLY SEE THE CHOREOGRAPHY!

Charity popped big time on the stage! So glad she pulled it off. I think her stamina/conditioning has improved a lot. She’s been cross-training for sure. Sydney looks badass too, I think she’s back in the right mindset–apparently she had a concussion or something?! Like no wonder she seemed off, lol.

Ok Kiara is going on tour! Awesome! Aisa is in too!!! Jayla is going on the road too, Lizzo says she clenched it with the backflip. She is a good tumbler, for sure. Gahhh I can’t believe Sydney isn’t in! Charity isn’t in either, which isn’t surprising, but Sydney?! Wow. That’s a surprise for sure but Lizzo says her stamina was an issue all the way through and after seeing some clips I kind of agree. The way they film this makes it really hard to watch these dancers! It’s like they edit out so much you can’t really tell who can/can’t do what. She’s taking being cut well and she’s young so maybe she will get a second shot at dancing somewhere professionally- I hope so!

1 Like
various responses to random things

ON JASMINE

whew her vibe was just way off. i don’t think it’s just being from NY either, it feels more like attention seeking and/or social cluelessness maybe? like why would you bring up the fact that you have drama with several of the girls in front of lizzo? why would you hit on the freakin video director in a professional setting?

my heart goes out to her because when i was younger, and probably still now sometimes, i did/do some of the same stuff, like creating a hierarchy of excellence in my head and putting myself at the top of it and then making that known to the people around me. it’s not a good look :laughing: especially in a noncompetitive team atmosphere where you’re all performing together! i totally get lizzo not wanting that kind of energy in the crew and on the bus – it’s destructive. you gotta be able to read the room, like you said!

i agree with you that jayla’s dancing and conditioning don’t seem on par with the other gals, but i think lizzo is keeping her for (1) tumbling/hype woman talents and (2) fat trans woman representation, which i love. i’m sure her conditioning will improve with practice!

ever since sydney had a piece of the set fall on her (am i remembering that right?) and got injured, she didn’t really seem the same :frowning_face:. here’s hoping she makes a full recovery and can join on the next tour!

i was so happy for asia – ever since the music video where she brought the heat in that bubble bath shot in that little blonde bob wig, she’s been one of my faves. ashley also crept up on me. she’s pretty lowkey throughout the season but she always brings it onstage. and arianna is a doll. she dances beautifully and seems to really have come into her own since the get naked challenge.

i have only two things i wish were different about the show. first, like you, i really really wish that the editing was less frenetic during the dance numbers. it is really hard to appreciate the formations and the moves with all the cuts. second, i have a friend who can’t watch the show at all because strobe lights give her migraines so maybe could lay off of those? but other than that, no notes, 10/10, please bring on the lizzo concert video with less editing!

1 Like

Show accessibility

Summary

I was going to watch but I thought to read spoilers first which seems like a good call now - are there done light in every episode? I was really hoping to watch it.

1 Like

Strobe lights are in every episode I think. There’s a content warning about it in front of every episode too

1 Like

I binged the show in like two days and then totally failed to post things here haha

Tldr I looooved it.
Replies to random things

jasmine

Jasmine: wow what a trip! I’m glad lizzo let her go because it just did not seem like a good professional dynamic.

I also really sympathized with her - like, I think her behavior was self sabotaging, like she said. And once she had that bad rehearsal where she tried to play drill sergeant the vibes were just off - it must have been so awkward being the one outcast in the group while everyone else is getting closer.

moesha

I felt pretty conflicted with how injury was depicted in the show. There’s all this pressure to be authentic and honest and vulnerable but also it’s an audition. At the end of the day lizzo and her crew are about business. Not about the well being of the dancers, though I think they genuinely do try to make that, like, a secondary priority.

I felt so bad for Moesha. I did think she wouldn’t have made the cut anyway because her choreo. But dealing with that kind of injury / recovery in a high pressure situation sounds terrifying.

jayla

I loved Jaylas personality and she’s great during those hype moments! But yeah she did not currently have the stamina, and I was surprised she made the cut. I think it helps that she rallies under pressure - and she definitely WILL build the physical conditioning. I think Lizzo likes her personally and is betting that Jayla will end up being a good investment. Her weak spots are trainable and her strong aspects are harder to find.

2 Likes

Also I was recommended this show initially by my dad. My straight white, cis, former conservative, fitness junkie dad. Not the expected target audience at all but he was gushing about how athletic all the dancers are and how cool and talented and about how Lizzo is so great. So that was a cool moment.

5 Likes

Aww, that’s so sweet about your dad!

Spoilers

Yeah, same. I thought it was telling that Sydney didn’t say anything when she hit her head and they took her aside and were like, on her about that…but she had just seen Moesha get eliminated for having an injury. Like, yeah of course she didn’t say anything?! LOL. Because it wasn’t an, “Ok Moesha, go train at home for 6 months and then we’ll give you an open audition but no promises,” it was just, “you’re out, bye.”

But yeah I think you’re right; it’s business at the end of the day and I get that. And I think body positivity is not extended to include physical challenge stuff most of the time anyway? Like it’s not really for that IMO, and I get why because it’s mostly an able people thing and a lot of it is focused on ability to begin with (i.e. the proof of being deserving of better treatment is usually framed in what the person can do and the fact that they do not have any health issues, and specifically fighting against people assuming they cannot do stuff and that they must have health issues just because of their body size). So the exclusiveness is kind of built in, and it makes total sense and I think is still a really welcoming/important space for a lot of people! But yeah I didn’t find it surprising overall. She also might have gotten cut anyway, like you said, I just really liked her style and I felt so bad for her and maybe had a teeny tiny crush on her, haha, ok I was like super into her. You twisted my arm and got it out of me! LOL. But them’s the breaks, as they say. SHOWBIZ, haha.

I would still 100% watch another season, hahaha. It was a fun show! I hope they do it again. I feel like it’ll get better and better in terms of dancing as the show gets more popular.

Summary

ME TOO THOUGH she was so cute and sweet and cool. fans self

Now I want a wheelchair dance troupe reality tv show. Is that too much to ask?

Or paracircus.

2 Likes
Summary

Right?! She had such a sexy swagger, haha. And that would be awesome! IDK though, if it were produced by outsiders to it…it could be really bad, lol. Did you ever watch the documentary about the guy who is a rubik’s cube champion and is also autistic? It’s so hard to watch, like the way people (including his parents) talk about him and stuff, man. It’s a rough one. I’d watch it if it were produced by people who live the life tho!

3 Likes

lizzo was the host and musical guest on SNL last night and she was MAGNIFICENT and there were some familiar faces with her onstage :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

IS THAT CHARITY?!?!

1 Like

and sydnee!! and asia and crystal!! they all handed out pizza to the people in line for tickets too :sob:

1 Like

OH woah! Haha, the whole time I was zeroed in trying to see if that was her! Good for her, she really came up from the back of the pack!

1 Like

i was particularly happy to see her and sydnee since their fates were not clear at the end of the show. they killed it! and i truly love both of the new songs she played. #blessed

1 Like

Sydney is great. She has so much charisma to go along with the dance skills. I’m glad she’s getting work!

1 Like

Yessss! Oh I’m so glad that they’re all still rocking it.

1 Like