US still uses checks??

I moved 401 funds to Vanguard back in 2015 ish. Could they have changed since then? Or maybe it was the limitation of the company that held the 401 funds initially.

1 Like

As recently as one month ago, we have had to deal with checks to transfer funds to VanGuard

1 Like

It’s two sided - some places I can do ach with vanguard and some I have to do a terrifying check that I only have 90 days to get to the new place :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I did my rollover in 2015 - from BOA / Merrill Lynch to Vanguard. I think the other institution can be an issue. I had left work so there was no active trading, not sure if that matters, but it makes things easier.

1 Like

Weird.

My last job change in 2020 did that! They would only mail the check to me, not directly to Fidelity. Thankfully I have an office in town and was able to drive it over instead of putting a GIANT CHECK in the mail and hoping for the best.

2 Likes

Terrifying indeed. Someone I know had one of these giant transfers of money to Vanguard via check. But the check didn’t show up. Days and days went by, no check. No check no check

Many days later he found the check in an envelope, dirty and scuffed, on his front porch under a Flower pot. He does not know how it got there.

Precarious.

6 Likes

I had a check from freelance that showed up in USPS informed delivery at my PO box but never made it into the actual PO BOX! I had to get them to reissue. But I even had a picture of it. Ugh. It was fine, they reissued but kinda annoying

6 Likes

Cell phones used to be analog, like you could take an off the shelf radio and just tune in to random conversations. They started doing frequency hopping so you would only hear a few seconds at a time and then you’d have to find where the call hopped to. But this has not been true for a long time, and also FCC regulations means you can’t buy radios that can tune in to cell frequencies anymore, and even if you could they are all digital and encrypted now anyway.

But yeah don’t read your cc number over a 900mhz cordless land line phone still.

11 Likes

Unless you live at my house. Then you could. If we had a landline.

1 Like