US still uses checks??

Americans still writing cheques like it’s 1985.

Edit: I’m 40 and have never written one.

18 Likes

feeling very validated since so many olds have been like OMG you NEVER WROTE A CHECK in my life when I ask them to teach me the Auld Ways (and yes I can write checks now).

13 Likes

Like I understand them conceptually. Like maybe I’m an 18th century gentleman and don’t carry 100 guineas on me but might see a fine horse I want to buy. So offer the farmer a promissory note that the Bank of England will honour.
But yeah in this day and age…

16 Likes

I still write checks every couple weeks for my house cleaner :joy: and that’s how we pay our rancher, too, when we buy beef, because then he doesn’t have to pay CC fees.

6 Likes

It’s so silly how often it is still the only way I can pay or get paid for so many things :joy:

6 Likes

I just wrote 5 different checks last week (pta, school foundation, picture day, school picnic, spirit t-shirt) :joy:.

There were other options to pay but check seemed easiest and no additional fees incurred.

5 Likes

My parents write one check a month for the mortgage because my Dad refuses to pay it online. I have written it for them a few times when Mom’s hand was flaring up and she couldn’t write. But yeah I can totally write a check if I need to. I’ve never written one from my own bank account though.

5 Likes

Until recently my dad was writing checks and driving them to the post office :joy: I think he just wanted to get out of the house more after my mom retired, haha.

7 Likes

I did not consider credit card fees for personal businesses, that’s a good call.

4 Likes

My parents still write checks and walk them to their insurance office, or to the bank. They love talking to the people there that they’ve known for decades. They were still paying credit card bills by check until a few years ago when I finally taught them how to pay online :joy:

4 Likes

We have to write a check for our daycare each week. It’s kind of a pain!

4 Likes

Several small businesses near me say that they charge more for using a credit card. I like that they’re transparently passing the cost along now, I didn’t think about it until the last couple years.

5 Likes

I’m the only one in my friend circle with a chequebook. I’ve written cheques for friends for the rare and exceptional things that require them. When I run out of cheques we will all be stuck.

6 Likes

I think if you have a physical bank you can go in for one cheque. You could 5 years ago at Meridian

2 Likes

I reordered checks a few years ago and accidentally got carbons. I expect they will last until I die. Certainly long past the time when Baby Yoda (who is printed on them) has cultural relevance!

3 Likes

I print my own checks!

2 Likes

I’ve been printing my own checks for checks notes over 20 years now :open_mouth: I finally made a little web app to make it faster and the effort of doing that has already paid off too.

2 Likes

Wait how do you do this??? We are almost out of checks and besides daycare we rarely use them.

Do you have a printer you can buy check paper I like Office Depot and then you can just print them

1 Like

Technically, it doesn’t even need to be on Check paper. Checks only need like five things to be legal and they could be handwritten.

3 Likes