US folx šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø Tell me what you're using your stimulus check for! šŸ’°

I also vote for the pillbox donut hat.

4 Likes

Weā€™re getting $2400 and 100% is going to giving. We both have secure (and lucrative) jobs, Mr Darling just started working at the beginning of March after about a year off, plus my grandfather is doing the ā€œgive out the inheritance early to avoid taxesā€ thing, so we weirdly have the most money weā€™ve ever had during a world wide pandemic and economic collapse.
Heā€™s not sure where itā€™s going yet: heā€™s checking with friends and family that are teachers to see if they could use help with anything, and will probably fund a bunch of Patreons and twitch streams. Iā€™m going to give some to a food charity my BFFs mom started, some to direct giving, some TBD. Although Iā€™m starting to convince myself that maybe local chocolate and booze count as charity.

8 Likes

I like the big donut head piece.

1 Like

Update: I bought the books. Now all I need is some hammocking weather.

5 Likes

Iā€™m going to buy things to make my home nicer and more comfortable: a fancy vacuum cleaner, shelves and baskets to help with storage/organization, art from small businesses/local artists.
I will also probably buy some fun clothing.

6 Likes

oh my god DOUGHNUT HEADBANDS might need to go on my list

plz provide link

1 Like

No stimulus checks for us, but I donā€™t mind. I am, however, starting back up a local thing where I go to the restaurant supply store and buy things at their much lower prices, and get those to families that canā€™t afford the upfront cost of shopping in bulk.

Iā€™ll be doing contactless drop-off and taking payment digitally, most of the folks are used to venmo etc and used that before anyway.

So, if I were getting stimulus checks, Iā€™d use it towards expanding the program past what I can do as an individual.

13 Likes

I like the one in your first post best.

Not in any way to discourage helping, but giving or offering help to the food bank might be more effective at achieving the aim of food support for folks - they get their supplies in very higher quantities and have the systems set up for distribution and large warehouses. Many food banks in the us right now are about 2 weeks from having to start buying food rather than get it donated, since their typical supply chain (restaurant and grocery stores) have complete changed.

But also it sounds like a cool and established thing and we have so many ways folks need to help right now so do what makes the most sense for you!

3 Likes

I dunno, I think bruteā€™s plan covers folks who either donā€™t need or wouldnā€™t use a food shelf but could greatly benefit from access to bulk supply. And being a separate supply chain from food shelves he wouldnā€™t be in competition or taking away from what food shelves are doing in his community.

4 Likes

Itā€™s aimed at people like my parents, who are too proud to ā€œtake charityā€ and will go hungry (and let their kids go hungry) rather than show up at a place and ask for a help. (Weā€™re not poor. We arenā€™t free loaders. etc)

But get the price down to a manageable level and theyā€™ll go for it, all while keeping their sense of self reliance and self respect. Which is ridiculous, but when youā€™re dealing with the rural poor, things can look different.

13 Likes

Makes perfect sense! Thatā€™s super cool, and innovative way to work with rather than against that self-sufficiency pride.

5 Likes

I guess it would have made sense to include this in the previous post, but I absolutely agree that supporting food banks is generally the right way to go with it. I just tend to have a ā€œwhere are the gapsā€ mentality and go for those, and stay away from established things.

I deeply appreciate your reminder that those establishments need help right now and they are set up to do a whole lot of good for a whole lot of people.

6 Likes

Just out of curiosity, how do you find the people to share this food with?

3 Likes

Sometimes itā€™s people I meet foraging in the woods. Sometimes itā€™s people my wife knows from the area who lost their jobs when funding for environmental research was cut. A few are from contacts Iā€™m made in grey area businesses. Then those people talk to their friends who need help. And those people talk. Once it starts, it grows so fast that I canā€™t keep up with it by myself. I was interested in getting more official with it, but there were a few obstacles that I havenā€™t been able to get past just yet.

4 Likes

I know these people. They are my neighbors and my students (which is why student loan burden isnā€™t much of a problem for our graduates but working so many hours you never graduate is a real issue). Hell, I married one- he refused to let the military discharge people calculate his percent disability on separation because he could work (now the military-caused respiratory complications are our main COVID worry for him).

There is no food bank other than the one at the senior center in my area. Itā€™s okay to need help once youā€™ve worked for a lifetime, but not otherwise.

Youā€™re doing a good thing.

7 Likes

Powellā€™s order is done. I had a moral conflict for a while when adding one book- a Mary Oliver book that I could get for $11 through amazon, or $28 through Powellā€™s. I angsted, debated not getting it at all, etc, but my husband pushed me to just buy it local. So that order is done, $80 of various books coming our way. (I also made a spreadsheet of Latteā€™s books at my moms request and added a ā€œwish listā€ column)

Also just put a $750 deposit on a whole cow from a local farm, everyone in my family will do 1/4 of it. Coordinating this delighted me because it means my parents are buying much nicer/more ethically raised meat than they normally would. Hoping I can make this a Thing and get them to buy good meat when we donā€™t have game. Ironically SirB and I are saving money on it, since buying a whole is less $/lb than doing 1/4s or 1/2s.

Put together an Etsy wish list of boujie baby toys/gear/etc.

6 Likes

I always feel bad doing this but my mom is dying to buy Bobbin things since she didnā€™t get to do anything for her for Easter and she hasnā€™t seen her for a while. And my mom loves to be extra so Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll send her a link to some foam gymnastics pad things since the kid has shown a desire to throw herself around on things as of late.

5 Likes

Going into savings for now, all of it earmarked for our kitchen remodel.

4 Likes

Probably mortgage PITI, since my pay this period will only cover health insurance and about $20 deposited.

I keep a monthā€™s buffer in my checking account but thatā€™s a big enough hit I need to build it back up fast.

5 Likes