US folx 🇺🇸 Tell me what you're using your stimulus check for! 💰

That CSA sounds fantastic. I wish CSAs did smaller shares for single people. My ex and I used to do like a half share, but even that was a lot for two people.

2 Likes

We’re getting $2900 (two adults and a baby). Current plans include: $690 CSA share. A big order of baby board books and some poetry books from Powell’s books. Money set aside to yet some fancy wooden Montessori stuff off Etsy, like learning toys and a pickler’s triangle and maybe a learning tower, to be spent once we have more space.

4 Likes

My husband and I agreed that we would each get our $1200 as personal money. He is going to use his to pay off his credit card :raised_hands:t2: and then to buy a fancy piece of jewelry from one of his favorite makers, who are having a sale because a lot of Renaissance festivals are being canceled.

I will put part of mine in savings earmarked for vendors at our local renaissance festival (which has so far NOT been canceled), and buy some pretty things with the rest… I am actually seriously considering getting a fancy office chair, how did you know?

We asked our toddler what he wanted to do with his $500, but he just kept playing with blocks, so it’s going in his 529.

8 Likes

I am thinking I’ll also subscribe to the Oregonian… https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2020/04/oregonian-media-group-will-cut-pay-furlough-employees-during-coronavirus-outbreak.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=theoregonian_sf&fbclid=IwAR2evaHzAClNvyLhKnEydYMR-x3rN-Lz2l-QQkf9E4Qm-2ljHy4Qs1bFQqA

1 Like

hahahahahahahah

The operations director at the radio station I work at was immediately looking into doing this, or buying a vintage porsche - his money decisions stress me out, lol. I convinced him to save like $100 of it.

6 Likes

I hate the oregonian’s editorial board. And their website which is like myspace had a baby with a US federal form.

But the reporters that work there are solid, quality reporters and I’m really saddened to see this.

4 Likes

This description is exquisite.

4 Likes

Paid off a credit card, put some back for my car insurance in July, and put some into my tIRA. Still got like $400 left so I’ll just hold on to it for now.

7 Likes

Ours is going into our down payment fund/emergency fund account. H’s employer is still playing games with WFH/ETO so until that’s sorted I want to have a bigger cash cushion. I have also been buying more from local makers but kinda cash flowing those so maybe a little of that too.

5 Likes

I am saving mine at least for a few months until I see how my sales at work stack up for the year. If they look better than I am imagining at this point, I will figure out donations/fun stuff to buy.

5 Likes

We’re planning to get a glass door installed on our fireplace to keep the cats out, but we can’t get it installed under our state’s orders right now. So we’ll hold on to the money until whenever we can have it done, and until then it can also double as part of our emergency fund.

ETA we’ll probably also order books from a local bookstore, even though I could basically open my own bookstore with all the books I own. I’m still working full time so I don’t have extra time for reading, but since we might not be able to or might not want to travel this year, I might take a week off during the summer and spend it reading in my hammock.

5 Likes

We are saving the majority of our $2400, although I did buy a $50 gift card to a restaurant I want to visit when things reopen, and we will likely do a few additional donations/unnecessary takeout/gift cards over the next few months. The total amount is maybe half of the income I’ve lost due to cancelled work so we’re playing it safe.

4 Likes

I put the entire $1200 towards credit card debt, with the pinky promise that I’ll donate to charity as soon as it’s paid off

8 Likes

Lest you think I am practical, friends, with my plan to get a CSA - silly things I would like to buy with this money and am trying to justify as they come from small businesses:

8 Likes

Omg you HAVE to buy the donut hat it’s far too thematic for talking dough and eating donuts to NOT omg.

5 Likes

If my ears were pierced, I would totally buy and wear those earrings.

2 Likes

I am definitely buying SOME kind of donut hat. I am justifying it for breakfast on the bridges.

However…which donut hat? the maker has:
tiny hats, big hats, crowns, headbands - in pink, purple, rainbow, realistic…

5 Likes

I like the one in your firstpost and the last one in this post.

2 Likes

I really like the last one- like a pillbox hat, but leveled up

5 Likes

We’ll be living on ours through the summer when I don’t get paid instead of drawing down savings.

6 Likes