Unf*ck Your Brain: memes and more

This is already discussed in countries where the threats are ongoing. I remember reading how a psychologist in the middle east was explaining to colleagues in USA that they didnt have PTSD because the trauma isnt a past situation, its the problems that were still happening. This is certainly the case for certain groups in the USA too - threat is ongoing, situation is not past.

9 Likes

6 Likes

5 Likes

1 Like

I have so many feelings about this. Psychological work on repressed memory strongly indicates that most “repressed memories” recovered in therapy (where a therapist is often asking you to imagine blah de blah) are actually false memories invented during the session. And of course, as soon as you have that false memory, it is just as traumatic as having a real memory about that. So, um, yeah, don’t go cave-diving because you think you ~have to.

(Spontaneously recovered memory – the kind of thing where you walk into a room and remember something, for example – is different and much more likely to be real.)

9 Likes

20 Likes

I love this :orange_heart:

I came across these two articles and thought they’d be helpful. I definitely recognized a couple things in here that related to a therapist I used to have and should have dropped sooner but I couldn’t put my finger on why at the time.

50 Signs of Good Therapy

50 Warning Signs of Questionable Therapy and Counseling

10 Likes

Great lists!

I also liked 5 lies the media teaches us about therapy (linked off the 50 red flags). Since therapy is so private it’s really our only audio/visual exposure to how therapy might look like. Although I’m not sure it was helpful to include the ones where the therapist is explicitly portrayed as a “bad guy” eg Mad Men. I wish they had focused more on supposedly good therapy relationships (This Is Us, Grey’s Anatomy), which I think do too much “solve your problems” and also magically “click” with the main character and perfectly fill their need, whereas in reality the relationship is very human and doesn’t need to be perfect to be satisfactory.

7 Likes

A friend recommended this IG and this reel in particular rang very true, even though I don’t have kids yet.

Strugglecare: first time parent

3 Likes

That was excellent.

1 Like

KC Davis wrote a book too - it’s a quick read/listen & reminds me of Unfuck Your Habitat (which is also a very good take on mental health limitations & adaptive housekeeping)!

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve been meaning to buy it and just bought it!

1 Like

I’m not sure if another thread would suit this better, but I found an excellent and very long article about picking a career. I’m only halfway through it but I’m posting it here partly so I can find it again later to finish.

8 Likes

Est read time 80 min :exploding_head: wow. Please report back with take aways! Cuz I’m fascinated but I’ll never get to that, I can tell.

2 Likes

Batsignal @Greyweld in case helpful.

2 Likes

13 Likes

Question: is it legal for the internet to call me out like this? Lawyers? Anyone?

16 Likes

Is it sugar? I need sugar?
Sodas?

8 Likes

“Salty” fits too, which captures one of my main snacking drivers.

7 Likes