Today I Learned

Not Olympics, but for cycling, some of the big winners have so much sponsorship money and bonuses that they share the race money among their team and don’t take any.

5 Likes

Depends on the sport. There’s a big to do this year about Flavor Flav (he of giant clock fame) sponsoring the USA female Water Polo team because they were all broke and working multiple jobs.

16 Likes

I will be living the rich life when I get a bouquet of the month subscription

Sponsoring an Olympic team is the step right after I guess

12 Likes

I think Australia is super stingy and we actually only pay out to the highest medal an athlete gets, so if they get more than one it just bumps up their category, they dont get paid per medal. I haven’t fact checked this yet…

4 Likes

Yup - this. Judo is a sport with basically no sponsors at all and the athletes have to self fund all training, international tournaments and travel to qualify for the Olympics, travel to get to the Olympics themselves, and the only reward is the glory of the medal itself + the us reward money.

Any athlete who doesn’t have rich parents funding everything is wracking up crazy amounts of debt and living on food stamps and trying to train around college or minimum wage jobs.

13 Likes

I watched some Judo with Ravioli and he loved it! He kept saying “kick the ball” lmao there was no ball, buddy

16 Likes

Awww bb Ravi :pleading_face:

2 Likes

awww

2 Likes

I knew someone who did eventually qualify for the Olympics in fencing and it was a similar deal - she was working two food service jobs and still needed financial support from her siblings to make it work. It’s a wild system and only really makes sense as a vanity thing for rich families unless you live somewhere with better government funded support.

10 Likes

Well, depending on who’s fighting - there could be some balls. :comet:

3 Likes

Hah! True!

2 Likes

TIL Jodie Sweetin & Andrea Barber have a Full House re-watch podcast called How Rude, Tanneritos!

Also: FH fans are called Tanneritos.

That is all.

5 Likes

25 Likes

Wow. The Castile family is so full of light and gives so much

7 Likes

That’s what I thought about kazakstan :joy:

2 Likes

11 Likes

The name is apparently not true which is a missed opportunity hahaha

4 Likes

Apparently there’s a different equine transport company that called their plane that.

4 Likes

This never occurred to me before. I guess this is why things don’t taste as good anymore?

9 Likes

Apparently there is a whole movement of scythe mowing in Europe, including having competitions. There is a hunky Swede who has a YouTube channel following his scythe mowing adventures and challenges!

8 Likes