Tiny Victories

ugh no that’s so frustrating! I’ve also had decently good luck with the Serious Eats one

1 Like

I accidentally put 2x butter the first time I tried hers and ended up with a flaky pastry thing basically fried in butter in the bottom of the pie tin.

It was delicious at least.

7 Likes

Not a bad mistake to make, if you’re gonna make one!

4 Likes

Friend Bored at Work is going to plan my husband and I a trip to NOLA next fall!

7 Likes

Here you go. From How to Win the Grocery Game by Delight Dixon Omohundro… it’s the crust portion of her Chicken PIe recipe. I’ll put my notes, etc. in italic.

1C flour, 1t baking poweder, 1/2t salt, 1/3C margarine, 3T water (more or less), flour

Sift flour, b.p., salt into bowl and stir.
Break margarine into small bits and drop into flour. Rub between stiff fingers until flaked and almost absorbed by flour.

Add water by tablespoons until ingredients just combine. Sift more flour into bowl and turn pastry to coat.

Sift flour onto board and place pastry in center. Roll out to fit baking dish. Place on dish. Make border. Cut several slits here and there.

Bake pie 400 until golden.

I use butter. One top crust uses about 1/2 stick butter minus 1 small pat. Cut the butter into pats and then into 9 small pieces

Uses almost exactly 1/3C water, maybe less.

I don’t sift more flour on the dough and then coat it. I probably should!

Let pastry rest after rolling out for a few minutes.

1 Like

I do not like heavily flavored teas. I bought way too much of some gingerbread tea to make a simple syrup for some kind of recipe (???) last year and have yet to drink it all down. Well, tis the season, so I’m going 1/2 decaf earl grey and 1/2 gingerbread. Mostly affects the smell. Pretty good!

12 Likes

Successfully mailed Xmas packages to bro family and no parents. :muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle:

17 Likes

My work Christmas bonus was $1000.

20 Likes

Colorado supreme Court ruled that Trump can’t be on the Republican primary ballot there because he committed insurrection.

25 Likes

Marmalade accidentally rearranged the garage bins when he put them back but it’s actually better now! We use the compost bin the most so it makes sense that it’s the first one and easiest to access when we open the door from the kitchen :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I just got tickets to T-Pain’s Las Vegas residency.

Then I bought some makeup.

Time to pause on SPENDING lol but that was a fun 20 minutes

15 Likes

That sounds like an excellent 20 minutes though.

6 Likes

Surprise retro pay in the bank account today

17 Likes

Cost of living increase letter in the mail. Hurrah!

Also, paycheck hit the bank this week, always good.

17 Likes

my parents just sent me a lot of money.
O_O;;

21 Likes

My aerial instructor had a cancellation so I could move my lesson time up and now I’ll get home around 8 pm instead of 9 pm.

17 Likes

Another win???

I called to get my flights adjusted because my 2 hour layover became a 7 hour layover with a cancellation. 7 hours is a lot, when there’s also a train ride to come afterwards.

Now I have a 3 hour layover, and they are refunding me 89$.

O_O;;

25 Likes

Not much for gambling, but this is when I might start thinking about buying a lottery ticket…

8 Likes

Someone else’s utter fuck up means husband gets to be home like 5pm today (13 hour day) instead of like 10pm! :tada: this also means we’ll get to celebrate the solstice a lil as a family (although he’ll still miss sunset which is a bummer)

20 Likes

Also, confirmation that there will be compensation for all the stupid hours husband had to work back in October

20 Likes