Thinx PFAS class action suit

I know a lot of people here use this and similar products for both environmental and economic reasons, so FYI:

7 Likes

I used thinx for a short time and didn’t like them (bc of cost to quality ratio, didn’t wash well enough for the price, IMO, and I had a lot of fit issues).

FWIW, if anyone is looking for alternatives I really like these Rael reusable pads! They make underwear too, which I haven’t tried.

1 Like

Thanks for posting. That is interesting. I have a few pairs of thinx but I actually like these ones from amazon a lot more and they are drastically cheaper. I might be wearing a pair right now :joy: I’m not sure if these are any better though from a chemical standpoint? They feel like normal cotton blend undies to me, not like the thinx ones. Amazon.com: Bambody

1 Like

The class action claim is available to Canadians.

3 Likes

$7 per pair up to 3 pairs? That’s some bullshit. They cost way more than that.

4 Likes

Right? When I went to put in my claim I see that I spent over $50 on two pairs, and I’m pretty sure they were on clearance.

2 Likes

Does anyone have thoughts about continuing to use Thinx you already own? I have several pairs and like them a lot better than pads/tampons most of the time. Is this like a stop using the product immediately level of concern?

I don’t particularly want to spend money trying alternative products but obviously I don’t want to continue using them if it’s dangerous to continue doing so.

4 Likes

Also curious about this.

Unrelated, I also have a few pairs from Ruby Love (black-owned business). I’m not sure about potential PFAS in their items, but at least they don’t claim everything was organic when it isn’t.

3 Likes

From the article I wasn’t even clear if it was intentionally added or some sort of manufacturing contamination??

1 Like

I read further (can’t find the articles on my phone, but I can dig them up later if wanted) and it seems like the bad chemicals are found in the gusset, in quantities too high to be accidental. There is no research on safe levels and nobody knows anything in a concrete way but it sounds bad.

That being said, I’m not going to stop using mine. They make my life much better. I won’t buy more but until I have a reasonable replacement. They are better than disposable stuff, imo, and that’s my current alternative.

4 Likes

This npr article says the lawsuit does not try to say anyone was hurt by using them so I’m assuming it’s probably ok to keep using them? My husband saw this article today and it freaked him out. He sent it to me and wanted to make sure I didn’t have any of them . Thinx lawsuit: What to know about the settlement and PFAS exposure : NPR

1 Like

I’m choosing to not worry about this. The issues with PFAS are much higher in drinking water, food (I.e microwave popcorn, etc). I think I read that 98% of us already have PFAS in our bloodstream, and that exposure through the skin is not a major concern

3 Likes