The Not Pregnant...Yet Thread

I’m crossing my fingers for you that your new doc is a great fit for you :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

So! We’re not trying yet, but I’m laying the groundwork. We’re on more of a timeline than I prefer (see: years of infertility before existing kiddo). ANYWHO. Speaking of OPKs, I’ve been using them this cycle. I can’t get my shit together to temp due to the bub’s early morning feeds. OPKs in the past never worked for me- I never got a strong surge, until after my prolactinoma was treated. So it was surprisingly and delightful that yesterday I had a strongly positive OPK! I’m still breastfeeding! My prolactin HAS to be higher now, so what on earth?! I’ll tell you what though, it feels weird not to try this cycle :grimacing: definitely a feeling of “how many of these good cycles will I get?”

6 Likes

With you on this. My cycles are magically longer now that I’ve identified and treated some of my deficiencies with supplements (at least I guess this is what’s caused it? Waiting to ask the doctor) but each time I have a cycle longer than 20 days I’m wondering the same thing.

We’re firm on not trying for another year because my marriage and personal mental health will not survive pandemic+toddler+Pregnancy+work. I hate that I think about the timeline every day. In my perfect world kids spaced 4+ years apart sound wonderful

7 Likes

I think my ideal would be 2.5-3 years apart. Our big goal at this point is to just not try until a term pregnancy would put Latte at 2 years. Which feels ridiculous too though- it’s like, there’s no way I could get pregnant on the first cycle/naturally/whatever. But at the same time… I COULD. It’s a total mindfuck really.

7 Likes

This :heart:
Fuck everything about fertility crap that means people don’t get their babies when we’re ready for them.

4 Likes

Swan was recently like, “I just don’t understand how there manage to be SO MANY PEOPLE IN THE WORLD if it’s so hard to make one baby.” And I had to remind him that it’s not necessarily this hard for everyone . . . we just happen to be 39 and 43 with especially bad luck of the draw that has probably not been helped by long early years of partying. Maybe if we’d met when I was 25, it’d be a different story—but neither of us were remotely ready at that point, and so it goes.

6 Likes

My ideal was 2! But Mr. Meowkins and I would not have survived pandemic + living with in-laws + his PhD so it’s likely gonna be 4 years apart. I’m feeling sad about it but am reframing that at least it will be a little bit easier having a more independent Meowlet.

5 Likes

This is true of course, but also…it’s a lot harder than a lot of people talk about. It’s certainly become a lot more normal to discuss in the last 10 years or so, but there is still so much grief and shame and sorrow that people struggle with quietly.

I’m so sorry again for your loss, and the confusion around your cycle that is messing with your head. And I’m glad to hear you’re going to be able to switch providers soon.

4 Likes

Even small things… Like how does a second one get made? How is it possible to maintain let alone increase population?

6 Likes

I don’t know if this is comforting or not, but there’s no need to bring age into it. My niece, who is all of 21, appears to be following an eerily similar trajectory… and also maybe her husband isn’t as ready to start a family as she would have liked to think. Anyone can have crappy luck.

I hope that this means that you have the ability to get pregnant and this was just bad luck, and your luck will turn.

3 Likes

Yep. My DOR was diagnosed at 28. And I was much more of the group mom, never a hard partier.

3 Likes

I’m still on birth control, but man I would love to have a second. We’re going to have to wait until the LO is 18 months because of the c-section, but it might be even more because of finances. We’re just now getting on top of things financially and this after three small mini raises in a year. Not expecting any more salary increases for a while, so we’ll see how long before another kid is feasible.

Also weight talk

Summary

I gained way too much this pregnancy and I need to lose weight and get my PCOS under control before we think about a 2nd. But at least I’m trying and have made progress! Still almost 250lbs though - I’d like to be down to 200-215 before trying again.

1 Like

The dietician that has been coaching me recommended a book about getting pregnant as a heavier person. I could dig up the title for you if you like.

1 Like

Can you send the name to me too when you find it? I have a few friends who might want to read it.

1 Like

I believe it was “Fat and Fertile”. Don’t know if it addresses PCOS at all, have yet to read it.

2 Likes

Last time, I tracked my ovulation with what I learned from Taking Care of Your Fertility. I eventually started the testing process for infertility after 12 months. Turns out it was just/ only unpredictable ovulation of PCOS. If I’m at heavy weight (like I am now), that can turn into anovulatory cycles. So I know what I need to do to prepare, I just need to do the work.

Will check out the book rec!

3 Likes

This kind of goes contrary to a lot of the discussion on this thread, but since many people on here are still preventing another child right now - any advice on birth control? We definitely do not want another child and our plan has been for Mr E to have a vasectomy but COVID has ruined that plan. Elective surgeries have been postponed for so long that he calls monthly and every time they tell him that the waitlist is too long to even add anyone to it. I really didn’t want to use birth control again but I will obviously need to. I have a history of severe chronic migraines (the kind where you can’t stand up or open your eyes - not the kind where people say they have a “migraine” and still go to work) and they are really impacted by hormones. Because of the migraines there are a bunch of forms of BC that my doctor won’t even let me take. I had the Mirena IUD for a few years and it caused debilitating ovarian cysts so that is a no-go. Before TTC I had the nexplanon implant, but I don’t necessarily want that in my arm again? But maybe it wasn’t as bad as I remember? I remember massage therapists getting freaked out when they came to it and I don’t like that I have a permanent scar from where it was removed.

6 Likes

Were the ovarian cysts from the hormones or from the presence of the IUD? I have the Paragard (copper, non-hormonal) IUD and it’s worked well for me - slight increase in cramps around my period, but for me they haven’t been debilitating.

4 Likes

The doctors think it was from the hormones / how my body reacted to the hormones used in that one. Mr E and I have discussed using the copper IUD since it doesn’t have the hormones and we were hoping for something less invasive, but at this point it seems like he will never be able to schedule a vasectomy so a longer-lasting option might be better.

1 Like

I had an absolute fucking nightmare with the copper IUD and would not recommend it for you. Many people love it, but when it fails, it’s horrific.

I wish I had useful advice. I can only tolerate condoms. If you were having a planned section you could get your tubes tied* but AFAIK that’s not your situation.

That’s what I am considering if any of my transfers take. The Boy fears a late life miracle :grinning:

4 Likes