The Not Pregnant...Yet Thread

No fewer bruises, lol. My belly currently looks like a goblin’s interpretation of a watercolor tattoo. Wild to think that if/when I eventually get and stay pregnant, it’s just…gonna be like that the whole time. Part of it is that, being a blood thinner, it makes bruising easier in itself.

I just got back from the rheumatologist’s office and he gave me the rx for hydroxychloroquine! He said that the research is new/scant but does look positive so far, that it’s a safe medication in pregnancy with few/rare side effects, and that he understands my desire to throw the kitchen sink at the problem given my extensive loss history. My pharmacy said the rx will be ready by this afternoon.

I eyeballed a book called “The Egg Quality Diet” but then realized it was basically the autoimmune protocol I already did last summer except with more meat, which I don’t really eat, and that diet did fuck-all for my egg quality in my second round of IVF—if anything, it was worse the second time—soooo, I’m just gonna keep eating how I eat.

Today is 9 DPO, and I just tested for the first time this cycle. Nothing visible so far. It seems possible and maybe even likely that next cycle I will miss GOF on the actual O date because I’ll already be traveling, so this may be a sub-par month if nothing good happens this week.

8 Likes

She did a really bad job on the Egg Quality Diet too. Bad copy and paste work, incomplete/nonsense meal plans, discordance between meal plan and grocery lists, most of the book is the meal plans too so it’s very little actual content. Pissed me off enough I bothered to leave a bad review for it lol. So diet paradigm aside, the execution is so bad it’s worth the miss for anyone.

5 Likes

Had a follow up ultrasound to make sure endometriomas aren’t growing. Reminded me I should ask fertility doc about

Summary

Continued brown spotting ever since my miscarriage… But also since using Provera to trigger periods on a regular basis.

Also feeling a bit angry that I have done SO MANY appointments by now for endo and fertility and pregnancy and gotten wanded and poked and injected in undignified ways and my partner has taken 6 months to go do labs and give a sample. And I realize scheduling is not his strong suit but also… Don’t give me shit for nagging or micromanaging if you don’t do shit otherwise. :angry:

I can research clinics in parallel but it kind of feels like “why bother” if this isn’t done yet so we can’t move forward.

(Also mad at work and at being on call for jury duty but not having it.)

:angry:

15 Likes

Welp, the hydroxychloroquine isn’t going to work for me. It is supposed to reach therapeutic concentration within 2–4 weeks of taking it. A few days before I left for my trip, I started getting random transient patches of hives, which I chalked up to stress, since I get random transient stress hives. Monday morning, when I woke up at my mom’s place, it was very angry, nearly full-body hives. I looked it up and saw that’s an uncommon but known side effect, and an especially ironic one given that it is sometimes prescribed for chronic hives.

It also said that most of the uncommon side effects subside after a week or two, so I powered through for a couple of days to see if it got better. But it got worse instead, and I have been dosing myself with the special “hives” version of Allegra every 18 hours (slightly more often than the 24 hours demanded on the label) because that’s when they come roaring back. Yesterday I decided to say fuck this and stopped taking it.

Mind you, I am currently in an insurance gap, on a road trip, and am expected to bare skin on a cruise starting next weekend. I look like I have some grotesque and horrible disease.

I swear that every time I try to navigate around some roadblock that my infertility throws at me, another huge boulder gets dropped into my path. Beginning to think that the gods are infuriated at the idea of me breeding.

12 Likes

Plot twist: I came home from my two-week trip tonight to a positive test. O date was almost certainly the day I flew out, so approximately 13 DPO and way darker than it got at all last time, and on evening pee too.

Maybe that stuff worked after all even though it made my body completely freak out? Or maybe it was doing the Lovenox prophylactically?

I’m home for three days and then off to Swan’s family cruise for a week. I guess we’ll see what happens by the time I get back. Maybe I should buy Marketplace insurance for like a couple months? I’m not eligible for benefits at my new job till 30 days after I start, and I don’t start till the 17th. Weird timing, universe, but OK.

As always, I hope to superstitiously hang out on this thread till things are more certain.

18 Likes

I’ve applied for Marketplace insurance, but I think I have to call them tomorrow because after I got my quote, it said the coverage period is through the end of the year, and I need to make sure they’ll let me be on it for just a month. It wouldn’t start till 8/1, and I’m eligible for insurance at my new job on 8/15 (which coverage would start on 9/1, I think). Still, if this one sticks, I would definitely be needing, at the very least, refills on my Lovenox and my first appointment and scans and everything. It’s going to be freaking expensive ($420) but still less expensive than no insurance at all. I chose not to pay the premium yet, that way if it turns out to be just a chemical again, I can just tell them I changed my mind. But if it turns out to be a baby, I can get the things that I need.

11 Likes

This is a lot of administrivia to deal with at this sensitive time! Thinking of you! Have you looked into Medicaid?

3 Likes

Here they do Covered California for all the insurance and it bases income on the whole year, not just the month. I was deemed to be not eligible for any assistance.

Alas, it is probably irrelevant because the lines appear to be getting lighter. The first one was darker than any I’d seen in a while, but yesterday’s was a bit lighter and today’s lighter still.

At least I haven’t been squinting and obsessing since 8 DPO, thanks to being on the Lovenox prophylactically since O. Before, I had to carefully scrutinize to see if it was time to start taking it. Now I could hypothetically just wait until I’m late if I want to. Though, IDK, knowing exactly how many losses seems to be useful data.

Pre-emptively chalking this one up to number 5. Guess I’ll still take the meds until I bleed, though.

10 Likes

Negative tests this cycle, which I’m not super surprised about because due to sickness and travel days we hit fewer GOF days in our window than usual.

Despite not being surprised, it’s hitting me hard emotionally this time. There have been several moments this cycle when I was looking at Swan with admiration and just wishing I could see traits of his echoed in a child, and feeling heartbroken that we’ve been so helpless at making that happen. I wish I had money for donor eggs but instead I’m poorer than I’ve been in years, and there’s nothing I can do about that without throwing away the career I’ve been working towards for the past five years.

I had a conversation with my friend who had offered to donate her remaining embryos to me. She doesn’t remember the exact number, but believes it’s 11–13, untested, which would almost certainly be enough for two kids, even giving my clotting disorder reducing my chances at a live birth. Surprisingly to me, my clotting disorder and hostile uterus do not seem to be deterring her from her offer. She said she’ll do a deep dive with her husband and her therapist to make sure there are no hidden weirdnesses in general, but there are no weirdnesses from my condition.

She did say that I should be aware of her and her kids’ diagnoses. I already knew that her twins had issues from being born premature. I think they were 7 weeks early and weighed 3 and 4 pounds. I knew that her son was diagnosed with ASD when he was 3, and she told me that her daughter was just diagnosed with ADHD at almost-5. Her daughter’s therapist had my friend also get a neuropsych evaluation and she was found to also have ADHD and very borderline maybe-ASD. As far as I’m concerned, these things are not a problem…I’m aware of many similar traits in myself, for one, and I think my friend is an amazing person. Swan seems a bit more skeptical, however. (Maybe he was hoping that his genes would dilute some of my weirdness?) He’s also not thrilled that both of the kids have needed glasses since they were very tiny. (Again, though, we both need glasses and have worn them since school age, so IDK what he’s complaining about there…)

I know that the risks of all these things, including the vision issues, are driven up by the prematurity, and the prematurity was almost certainly caused by the fact that they were twins, and they were twins because the doctor recommended transferring two embryos. My friend has vehemently advised me against doing that, and so I don’t think I would. (It would be weird to me to take her embryos but not her advice!)

I also know that we have a little time to decide? If we were to not use our genetics, it just comes down to how late we’re willing to become parents. I know Swan has said no later than 50, and he’s 46 now. I would like to be done by 47, and I’m 41 now. I guess we could keep trying naturally through these 2 super broke years while I’m getting my hours, effectively trying to win the lottery. Then when our financial picture changes a bit, we could go ahead and do transfers of donor embryos? Like #1 when I’m 43 and he’s 48, and #2 when I’m 45 and he’s 50? That doesn’t seem impossibly old. Swan’s BIL was 50 when his sister’s youngest child was born a couple of years ago.

Lots to think about. Lots of grief and hope and logical puzzling.

18 Likes

It’s a hard situation with so many emotions to swim through to try get to a logical plan. Hugs to you and Swan.

5 Likes

Had another appointment with Kaiser RE/ObGyn to review tests. Uterus (endometrium) seems fine and cyst growth is not as bad as expected (I misread the test report). Spotting on provera is also not worrisome. Spouse tests all good. :face_exhaling: (relief)

Recommendation is unchanged to do retrieval → surgery - > transplant as long as I’m not having bad pain.

Our egg and sperm counts are good so she has high hopes?

Lots of work though. Spouse offered to help, I suggested he make intro/consult appointments because his calendar is cray. We agreed on making contact this week.

13 Likes

Spouse did not schedule appointments… Since it has been 2 weeks and I had some time today I went ahead and did it.

Clinic 1 (10 mins away) had a video intake this Friday for $275 and was used by friends.

Clinic 2 (30-60 min away) was scheduling out in March (!!) but had a cancelation on Mon, but the receptionist ballparked the cost at 600-900 which seems steep! Office manager supposed to call me back with better numbers. The only reason they made my list was they had about 3x higher proportion of patients with Endo per CDC and good success rates for my age. I’m not sure that’s worth the cost/commute/schedule issues.

I will take public opinions and also a standing ovation for Doing The Thing! :confetti_ball:

11 Likes

You did the thing! :confetti_ball:

1 Like

Given how radically different my clinic experiences were, I say definitely go for the better rated clinic in the first place. Communication alone because of staffing levels and turn over was night and day.

4 Likes

Standing ovation!

I also don’t know LA prices, but I wonder if first clinic quoted you the consult appointment only, but second clinic is quoting you consult appointment + initial diagnostics.

3 Likes

She said bloodwork and stuff would be separate. The receptionist may just not know. Which is odd, this should be a common request since many plans don’t cover IVF?

Based on where it is, totally tracks that it would be hoity toity and expensive for no reason though…

4 Likes

I have no opinions, but yay for doing the thing!

1 Like

Do you mean customer reviews (Yelp, Google) or CDC stats?

I was all ready to cancel now that we have an appt Friday at the clinic closer to home that I have better overall gut feels about, but the office manager called and gave not only the consult fee (805 ouch) but a base fee for the treatment (6 visits, US, retrieval) at under 4k. Sounds like this doesnt include tests, drugs, and freezing/storage so I’m not sure I know what to do with that number. But it seems low based on your ballparks in the “buy a baby” post.

I’ll probably cancel.

4 Likes

I don’t know if anyone here is still at the GOF level - does anyone want a TempDrop? I will mail within US. It needs a battery. I thought I would use it post-baby to know when my period is due but turns out I don’t want to know badly enough to fuss with it!

3 Likes

I was thinking CDC and SART for your given age cohort and diagnosis.

1 Like